Toppings for oatmeal?

Options
I generally end up under my calorie goal, but I'd still like to find something better to put on my morning oatmeal. I eat the 365 brand whole grain with flax oatmeal and my topping is usually brown sugar because I do prefer my oatmeal on the sweeter side. Any tips as to what else I can put on it to jazz it up? I'm not looking to add a ton of calories to it but think I could spend my calories better than I'm currently doing with the brown sugar. Thanks!

Replies

• Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i eat the instant cinnamon swirl and add crunchy PB. Maranatha makes a good PB and an almond butter. Both are good on apple slices for an afternoon snack too. Oh yeah, i sometimes add Hershey's all naturall cocoa powder. its as close to chocolate oatmeal cookies as you can get without the butter and added sugar!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with butter. I know it might sound disgusting to some but I love it. I dont eat a lot of fat so this also a way for me to make sure I get enough fat.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I boil raisins or cranberries in the water before I add the oats and it naturally sweetens it up some, then I add cinnamon, some milk, a bit of vanilla whey protein powder, it's delicious. :D
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    A little brown sugar or cinnamon.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger all make tasty additions. You could add a tablespoon or two of dried fruit (like cranberries) or chopped nuts. Fresh fruit, like blueberries, sliced strawberries, or sliced banana works great too. And if you like peanut butter, then a tablespoon of it or a couple of tablespoons of PB2 are wonderful.
  • bookdame
    Options
    I have a friend who swears by "savory" oatmeal... Adding a bit of salt, butter.

I like to shred an apple, chop a couple almonds and add that while the oatmeal is boiling... fresh grated cinnamon and a pinch of cloves... I call it "chai oatmeal"....
  • bookdame
    Options
    Cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger all make tasty additions. You could add a tablespoon or two of dried fruit (like cranberries) or chopped nuts. Fresh fruit, like blueberries, sliced strawberries, or sliced banana works great too. And if you like peanut butter, then a tablespoon of it or a couple of tablespoons of PB2 are wonderful.

Banana and cinnamon--- if you add it while the oatmeal is boiling it adds so much flavor and natural sweetness!
  • Lylora
    Lylora Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks all, great ideas! Looking forward to trying them out.
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    I use cinnamon (and sometimes a touch of pumpkin pie spice), apples, raisins and/or I've even been known to add just a few chocolate chips for a different taste. :)
  • wackynunu
    wackynunu Posts: 103
    Options
    Blueberries...or any berry for that matter
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    A little bit of honey with pumpkin pie spice... YUM! Add a few dried cranberries if you have the calories :D
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I had strawberries and cocoa powder today (like hot chocolate powder so it was already sweet)...

I also like dried fruit, blueberries, raspberries...

My "classic" is vanilla extract, brown sugar, cinnamon, honey powder.

Peanut butter doesn't work well for me (it's thick) but it is a good option for more protein.

Also consider making it with milk instead of water to up calories and make it creamier (or add cream)
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Emerald Pecan Pie pecans. Dried Cranberries (actuaklly, I cook them in the oatmeal). Fat free sweetened condensed milk.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    cocoa pebbles, reeses puffs, pop tarts, pb, nutella
  • cf01702
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning. What I add to mine is a tablespoon of honey as a natural sweetener and a tablespoon of peanut butter. I would add an apple to the equation but I always eat while walking to class so just the oatmeal is a easy choice for me ... I hope this helps
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    diet hot cocoa mix
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Walnuts and banana. Apple and cinnamon. Peaches with yogurt.
    I use honey or maple syrup as a sweetener.
  • digihed1
    digihed1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oats every day. I was eating it with bannana and blueberries. Blueberries are out of season now so I'm using a banana, walnuts, raw honey, and ground ceylon cinnamon. A good and filling breakfast.
  • bens_mommy
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of granola in oatmeal (or rather, granola in anything). I've been making oatmeal from scratch recently with some sugar, cinnamon, grated apple, and granola and it's fantastic!