Homemade sausage...

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
So my husband made sausage out of antelope. He's a hunter. It was 3lbs pork fat that he got from a butcher and 12lbs antelope. This made 5 tubs of sausage. I guessed 30 slices each. I couldn't find any info on "pork fat" but found bacon drippings. The results seems pretty high, 120 calories a slice....

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Antelope is legal??
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Was the pork purely fat, or a fatty cut? if it was pure fat, then you have a sausage that is 80/20 from a fat perspective. You could use 80/20 ground pork as a starting point then. 4 oz is 280 cal. according to one I found in the database.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    typically pure lard would be used to 'fatten' up the sausage to give it proper texture,
    "Lard is pig fat in both its rendered and unrendered forms. " which reminds me I need to set aside the lard from the pork I picked up last weekend, I've got a rendering day ahead of me this fall, and need to of course keep some for sausage making.
  • primetime40
    Options
    You can input venison sausage with pork. Antelope is very lean like deer so the calories should be very similar.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Antelope is legal??

Yes. At least in Colorado and Wyoming.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The overall fat content is the main concern. Just regular pork sausage would be a reasonable approximation of calories. The calorie content of the antelope versus lean pork will be similar enough.
  • solpwr
    Options
    Antelope is legal??

And Montana and Idaho and Washington and Oregon and Utah. Probably New Mexico and Arizona but I'm not sure about there.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Antelope is legal??

And Montana and Idaho and Washington and Oregon and Utah. Probably New Mexico and Arizona but I'm not sure about there.

We don't have antelope in GA so I would have no idea. I'm assuming it is the same as deer meat.
  • solpwr
    Options
    Antelope is legal??

We don't have antelope in GA so I would have no idea. I'm assuming it is the same as deer meat.

Antelope in the west are smaller than deer. They are a prairie animal so that influences the taste of the meat; generally people say they have a more "gamy" or more "wild" taste than deer, but that really depends on the diet of the deer they are comparing to. Deer live everywhere from forests to wheat fields to prairie, so they can taste different based upon their food source and of course age and gender.