why can't i see a difference?

Options
i've been on mfp since june...have lost 42lbs and near my goal weight, everyone tells me how good i look and how small i've become although im wearing smaller sizes i still can't see a difference! when i look in the mirror i still see the overweight person i was months ago! does anyone else feel like this??

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Unless your starting weight is like 400+lbs, I fail to see how a 42lb loss could NOT be noticable.

I think it's you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KutXyPEEbQs
  • MsKekeSoFocused
    MsKekeSoFocused Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    i've been on mfp since june...have lost 42lbs and near my goal weight, everyone tells me how good i look and how small i've become although im wearing smaller sizes i still can't see a difference! when i look in the mirror i still see the overweight person i was months ago! does anyone else feel like this??

Maybe you should do before/ after pics...I used to feel like that until I kept taking pics so I can compare from where I was 52 pounds ago
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes your brain a little longer to catch up with the changes in your body.
  • divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like the take a pic and compare it to your old pic idea above.

Also, Put on some of your old clothes and watch them fall off.
  • CalderaGal
    Options
    Maybe you need a new mirror and new eyeglasses. Seriously, try some affirmations, such as "I am a success. My dieting has resulted in a 42 pound loss and I am looking good."
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I didn't see a difference until a few months ago....It is definately a mental road block. At least for me it was. If you have been over weight for a long time it is hard to finally see the person you have been wanting to see in the mirror. As said before...Pictures...Pictures...Pictures. It helps to see where you started and where you finally are :)
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes your brain a little longer to catch up with the changes in your body.
    ^THIS. I actually had the same problem for a very long time... and it was only 30 lbs for me. You'll realize how much has changed... but your mind still remembers the "old you". Think positive and of how far you have come... in the end, a positive attitude can help your mental self-image
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am 100% with you on this one!!! I started in February at 240, I am now 190. I've lost 50lbs, and I really don't see it. People tell me they see it, and I'm down from a 22/24 jean to a loose size 16, but I just don't see it. I've got another 25-50 to go to get to my goal, so I'm hoping I see more of a change then!!

I did a side by side comparison of two pics just this morning, and while I can tell theres a change, I still see the same fat person. I still have a lot of work to do to get where I want to be.
  • geminigirl1979
    geminigirl1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been working out for 6 months and am the same way, when I look in the mirror all I see is my poochy baby belly and big thighs. But I also took starting pictures and have taken "progress" pics every 30 days. I don't always see giant differences in the 30 day pictures, but looking from Day 1 to Day 180 I see a giant difference. Take pictures!!!
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Exactly what she said. While I haven't lost forty something pounds, I have lost a little over 30. And while people comment sometimes, I still see the old me in the mirror as well. I do wear smaller sizes, I do notice suttle things, like I can see my collarbones, but size wise, I still see the old me. It will take a while, but know that you have accomplished is a great deal. Keep up the good work
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    you should definitely do some before and after pics. This helped my brain catch up with my body. You don't need to share them with anyone, though you may want to once you see with your eyes. :-)

Start by just finding a pic of yourself from when you were heavier. Your first thought will be, I didn't think I was that big. Then try taking a photo of you now, and look at the two side by side. Then, you'll finally see what everyone else is seeing and you will go from feeling stuck and down to feeling giddy. I was in the same place at around 35 lbs down, and the pics were a huge eye opener.
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    thanks guys for all your opinions! x
  • DHolmes2011
    Options
    If you aren't doing this already, I would recommend you add weight training to your routine. Toning muscles is the best thing I can think of in changing your appearance. It also makes you feel good.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I struggle with a disconnect between how I see myself and what I actually look like. I have gone from over 235 pounds to 150 and have basically felt exactly the same about myself. Even when I see the pictures of myself at 150, I don't really see it as being me. It feels like I'm looking at a picture of a stranger. I think that has a lot to do with why I have gained some of the weight back, as I still felt fat and would eventually fall into the same habits. I think I have improved, but it seems to be an extremely long and slow process for me. All I can say to you is that I have some understanding of how you feel. For me, my years of poor self-image are a lot to overcome, and I just have to keep working at it.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Mind playin' tricks on ya'
  • wildcatlizzie
    Options
    I was the same way until very recently. Everyone told me how great I looked, but I never really processed it because I still saw the same fat girl in the mirror. However, a recent picture of my brought everything into sharp focus. I finally realized for myself that I really did look good. I've lost 50 pounds, and while I'm still chunky around my middle, I realize now how far I've come. Just from one little picture. :)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Our brains can fool us

1232692339760_f.jpg
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My profile pic is the result of me telling someone that I didn't really notice my weight loss. I had to admit that I did see a difference after the comparison was made clear.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the majority vote - do a Before and After photo of yourself together as one image.... You should see the results ALOT better that way.

Our minds are our worst enemies - and its easy to fall into that trap of thinking.

I dropped from my highest of 303# down to 241.4 - and decided to break my mental-barrier and posted an updated pic of myself, copy-pasted next to my previous 303# photo... and I about dropped my coffee cup... I noticed a HUGE difference in that almost 60# difference.

Keep your B&A photo with you and use that as your "Tackling fuel" - it definitely empowers me to keep going...
  • Mikeinstlouis
    Mikeinstlouis Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you ever watch The Biggest Loser, you will see this a lot. You have been thinking of yourself as overweight for a long time probably and you just can't process how much better you look! There is a lot more to being "fit" then weight loss, there is mentally fit as well. Maybe the factors that led you to eat to begin with are still with you and your self-esteem hasn't kept up as the pounds dropped off. You just need to get real with yourself and realize...MAN! I JUST DROPPED 42 POUNDS!! Be proud of yourself and your accomplishments! You have worked hard..it's time to start loving yourself and seeing yourself as the new and improved version! If people are telling you you look better...BELIEVE THEM and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!