Strength Training

Options
I am curious as to how other people pick their strength training routine.
Do you have a personal trainer?
Do you get a workout program from your gym?
Good web sites?
Good books?
DVD's?

Replies

• bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I use Chalean Extreme.
  • MarlaChandlerBarton
    MarlaChandlerBarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think getting a trainer is the best thing to do at a gym. This way he/she can show you exactly what to do and when you do the weights in front of them they can tell you what you are doing wrong so no to injure yourself. They can help you along until you learn each body part you work on how exactly to do it and to keep yourself safe while doing it. And how to get the most out of each set, etc. That's what I did and I was so glad I did (years ago). Even if you only have them for say like 3 workouts.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've worked with personal trainers, but in the absence of VERY thorough research and recommendations, I would not waste your money. Try finding an experienced lifting partner to get you started, watch lots of you tube videos, and work with very light weight to perfect your form.

When I was learning, I found it useful to pick up a heavier weight, and do the exercise (just 3 -5 reps) to get the feel for WHERE I should be feeling the burn. Then I could perfect my form with lighter weight, and gradually work up to a regular workout as I felt more confident that I was doing it right. It's really important to have that mind-muscle connection.
  • missmamselle
    missmamselle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ditto for getting an experienced personal trainer! It's motivaing for me to know I'll have someone to answer to every 4 or 5 weeks.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I look at various websites and try to pay attention to the ones that explain *why* the program is set up the way it is. They could still be wrong, but an explanation is at least nice to read through.

I also try to look at a lot of videos of lifts online before I attempt them. Even then, I'm a little paranoid unless I have someone along who knows what they're doing so they can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

I was just looking at that online. I can get it for like $12 on amazon w/free shipping... I am tempted.
  • Cherielady
    Options
    I'm currently using The Body Sculpting Bible for Women book. It includes a 14-day Sculpting Challenge and it has three schedules you can choose from based on your fitness level and goals. It's very informative and has a lot of pictures and detailed instructions on how to properly lift weights,etc. I bought it from alibris.com and only had to pay s/h. It was very lightly used and costed $0.99,but with a coupon code I got it free ($1 off). The promo code was ENJOY I think.
  • scraver2003
    Options
    I'm currently using The Body Sculpting Bible for Women book. It includes a 14-day Sculpting Challenge and it has three schedules you can choose from based on your fitness level and goals. It's very informative and has a lot of pictures and detailed instructions on how to properly lift weights,etc. I bought it from alibris.com and only had to pay s/h. It was very lightly used and costed $0.99,but with a coupon code I got it free ($1 off). The promo code was ENJOY I think.

NICE! Free book! $3.99 for shipping... my kind of spending. I may get the NROL, too...
  • chele76
    chele76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use a personal trainer for a few reasons. Not only does he create a workout specific to my goals and needs, corrects my form when I need it, pushes me harder then I could do on my own and he keeps me honest. I don't skip workouts or cheat, because it will show in my results. It was an expensive investment, but I am seeing results I do not feel I would have accomplished on my own (down 9% body fat in 4 months.)

Some of the local gyms offer free Personal Training (ie Planet Fitness), maybe take a look into that if you want some one-on-one time. Also - I'd be glad to share with you some stuff that I have learned - you know how to find me :)
  • scraver2003
    Options
    My gym has a deal going 4 - one hour training sessions for $100. I am toying with the idea of doing it... We'll see. I jumped in on some sessions my sister had with her personal trainer. And a trainer at my gym used to set me up with routines, but she got promoted and left my gym. (yay! for her, boo! for me)
  • ONE03
    ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i use power 90. not a long workout and i can put in the dvd at any time. you can increase your weights as you progress.
  • scraver2003
    Options
    I use a personal trainer for a few reasons. Not only does he create a workout specific to my goals and needs, corrects my form when I need it, pushes me harder then I could do on my own and he keeps me honest. I don't skip workouts or cheat, because it will show in my results. It was an expensive investment, but I am seeing results I do not feel I would have accomplished on my own (down 9% body fat in 4 months.)

Some of the local gyms offer free Personal Training (ie Planet Fitness), maybe take a look into that if you want some one-on-one time. Also - I'd be glad to share with you some stuff that I have learned - you know how to find me :)

Down 9%! Wow!! You are really doing awesome!

That was one thought I had, too - that if I signed up for some training sessions - it would help hold me accountable.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

I was just looking at that online. I can get it for like $12 on amazon w/free shipping... I am tempted.

Get it! I've been doing the NROLFW (yes, that's how you'll see it referred to as on MFP and many other places) for three weeks now and I love it. There are a few groups you can join on MFP that are dedicated to this workout with many ladies at the more advanced stages to help you out.

If you have trouble following the directions in the book do what I do and go on YouTube to see how to properly perform some of the moves. Watch a bunch of them to get a general idea.
  • scraver2003
    Options

Get it! I've been doing the NROLFW (yes, that's how you'll see it referred to as on MFP and many other places) for three weeks now and I love it. There are a few groups you can join on MFP that are dedicated to this workout with many ladies at the more advanced stages to help you out.

If you have trouble following the directions in the book do what I do and go on YouTube to see how to properly perform some of the moves. Watch a bunch of them to get a general idea.

Question: My plan is to do my strength training during my "lunch break" on Mon, Wed and Fri which are soon going to be the days I am working from home. Will I be able to do a lot of this without going to a gym? I have weights, a stability ball... no bench. Though, I did read there are lots of exercises you can do with a ball instead of a bench?
  • chele76
    chele76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can always use a ball instead of a bench. In fact its GREAT for toning your core. Just start with a lower weight so that you can get used to the fee of the ball and form is VERY IMPORTANT. Watch lots of you tube videos, I am sure they are out there.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I use a personal trainer for a few reasons. Not only does he create a workout specific to my goals and needs, corrects my form when I need it, pushes me harder then I could do on my own and he keeps me honest. I don't skip workouts or cheat, because it will show in my results.

Just going to quote because I completely agree with this. I see my trainer every other week for a 60 minute strength training session. I repeat that routine three times a week until our next session. I also get support and advice from him between sessions. I think it's a big reason I've stuck with this with such great results.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    My gym has a deal going 4 - one hour training sessions for $100.

It it's a good trainer, this is really great price.
    Question: My plan is to do my strength training during my "lunch break" on Mon, Wed and Fri which are soon going to be the days I am working from home. Will I be able to do a lot of this without going to a gym? I have weights, a stability ball... no bench. Though, I did read there are lots of exercises you can do with a ball instead of a bench?

A LOT of what I do with my trainer is done with three pieces of equipment (besides free weights): stability ball, step, bosu. And actually I rarely use a bench - we use the ball most often. If you end up going the trainer route, tell the trainer what you have at home and ask him to create a routine around what you already have.
  • DesigningWoman
    Options
    I am 38 and I am using a book written by Joyce Vedral called, "Now or Never". It is old; she is wearing a Jane Fonda style shiny spandex suit on the front. However, it employs pyramiding and she recommends 4 days a week. I love this workout. Yes, I have to venture into the free weights, but the results are just amazing. She gives you well-rounded exercises combined with cardio and I am *smoking* my weight loss results on here. I just started calorie monitoring five days ago and between this and my workout I have lost 4 lbs. This normally doesn't happen so fast for women my age.

Building that muscle burns those calories. And you can do light weights, just increase them with each set. I love the book and it is available on Amazon for around 11 bucks. I used it when I was 20 or so and saw unbelievable results. This time it is happening more slowly, but it is definitely happening. Love this book.