One Step Ahead Challenge (PEDOMETER CHALLENGE)

Options
I've decided to set up a challenge for those of us track our steps daily with a trusty ole pedometer!

On average, I get at least 10,000 steps a day Monday through Friday but on the weekend I'm lucky to get half of that. The American Heart Association recommends 10,000 steps a day for heart health. For walking to be an effective weight loss tool, the recommendation is 12,000 - 15,000 steps a day.

I want to push myself and am inviting others to push themselves too!

***YOU WILL NEED A PEDOMETER TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS CHALLENGE***

The challenge will start on Monday, October 31st and run for four weeks ending on Monday, November 28th.

I'm leaving the guidelines of the challenge up to each participant. I don't want people discouraged from improving their steps because they won't get 12 or 15,000 steps a day.

For anyone participating what I want you to do is look at the number of steps you generally get in a day and add 2, 3 or even 4,000 steps to that. If you want to set a specific goal and push yourself harder, that is perfectly fine...it's completely up to you!

Once you set your goal, I'd like you to stick with it. No changing goals unless it's to improve upon it and push yourself harder.

My personal goal (and anyone who wants to join me in this goal is welcome to) is to do 15,000 steps per day Monday through Friday and 10,000 on Saturday and Sunday. This is a significant push for me but I think with a little determination and a swift kick in the hiney...I can do it!

Who's with me???

Replies

• MaManeenCal
    MaManeenCal Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh! You're killing me! But I'm going to TRY my best! ... I generally get about 4k-5k- and i do most of that in my house!.... My new goal is 7k! OMG..... I'm going to put a real effort into this!!!! Especially considering by the time this challenge starts, there will be snow on the ground here!!!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh! You're killing me! But I'm going to TRY my best! ... I generally get about 4k-5k- and i do most of that in my house!.... My new goal is 7k! OMG..... I'm going to put a real effort into this!!!! Especially considering by the time this challenge starts, there will be snow on the ground here!!!

That's the point behind a challenge...it's to push yourself. There is no winning and no losing. Just trying your best and pushing yourself as much as you can to reach your goal. You can't fail. You can only not try! You've got this!!!
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm in this one also. I'm gonna go with 15,000, anything else is bonus. If you get alot of people from the other challenge is there away to track on the spreadsheet?
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    I'm in this one also. I'm gonna go with 15,000, anything else is bonus. If you get alot of people from the other challenge is there away to track on the spreadsheet?

I'm sure I can tweak the spreadsheet. It might be easiest if I add another worksheet to the spreadsheet to keep our steps separate from the miles and weights to keep it separate. Let's see how many we get with us! :-)
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Well, guess I'll get myself a pedometer so i can join you! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I think it'll be good for me, especially since come February I'll be a SAHM so it'll help me (and push me) to be more active. Can you recomend one?
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start small and go 7,000 to start with. I think I can nail this goal early, but Mondays are a challenge, along with the weekend. Having a desk job really challenges me to find other ways of getting my steps in, so I think cutting lunch short to walk will be a start.

My ultimate goal is to catch that 15,000 step mark!
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    Well, guess I'll get myself a pedometer so i can join you! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I think it'll be good for me, especially since come February I'll be a SAHM so it'll help me (and push me) to be more active. Can you recomend one?

I sent you a message with the name of the type I use. There are so many out there though!
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    I'm going to start small and go 7,000 to start with. I think I can nail this goal early, but Mondays are a challenge, along with the weekend. Having a desk job really challenges me to find other ways of getting my steps in, so I think cutting lunch short to walk will be a start.

My ultimate goal is to catch that 15,000 step mark!

That's perfect! I have a desk job too and if I didn't do much lunchtime walk I would probably never hit 10,000 a day. Sometimes I get as many as 11 or 12k which is why I chose the 15k mark. I wanted to leave it open and let each person create their own goal. The key is just to keep improving! Yayyy!
  • alwharton
    alwharton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I think I'm going to fip the numbers your using. 10,000 during the week and 15,000 on the weekend. This should make my dog happy!
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    I'm in. I think I'm going to fip the numbers your using. 10,000 during the week and 15,000 on the weekend. This should make my dog happy!

That'll make your dog very happy!!! I'm impressed!!! I can't imagine 15,000 on the weekend. I'll be excited getting my 10. WTG!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm in of course! I probably won't get all of those steps in but I won't know until I try. :wink:
  • nursinggirl64
    Options
    ok...u got me im in i will go buy a new pedometer on friday and will see how many i do over weekend and add to that...i use 2 track steps every day and am not sure where my pedometers r....
  • Trillian73
    Trillian73 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I have a pedometer that is collecting dust now, so I'll drag it out and start using it. I'll wear it for the next couple days and see where I'm normally at and then figure out what my goal will be for the challenge. :)
  • SUgrad04
    Options
    I'm in, but I'll have to set my goals during the first day (will be getting a pedometer on Monday).
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a pedometer; should get it on Saturday (it was cheaper on Amazon v. buying in the store). I'm not sure how many steps for a weekday since I won't be able to track until Sunday; I'll just guess based on Sunday! :bigsmile:
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    I'm in of course! I probably won't get all of those steps in but I won't know until I try. :wink:

Very good point! I honestly never thought I would get 10,000 a day and now I get that most days. You can do it. The key is to set your own goals and push it from there. :-)
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    ok...u got me im in i will go buy a new pedometer on friday and will see how many i do over weekend and add to that...i use 2 track steps every day and am not sure where my pedometers r....

That's a great idea! Glad you're joining us!!!
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    I'm in! I have a pedometer that is collecting dust now, so I'll drag it out and start using it. I'll wear it for the next couple days and see where I'm normally at and then figure out what my goal will be for the challenge. :)

I'll send you a rag hon! Can't wait to walk with everyone!!! ;-)
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    I'm in, but I'll have to set my goals during the first day (will be getting a pedometer on Monday).

That works for me!!!
  • jsteinberg87
    jsteinberg87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bought my pedometor on Amazon yesterday, I hope it comes by Monday! :( eeeeek