chia seeds

Options
I am starting to read more about chia seeds and its health benefits... Anyone ever eaten them? If so, how did you incorporate them into your diet, and do they really help with weight loss?

Replies

• Siraaaah
    Siraaaah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I heard about them on Dr Oz a few weeks ago. Apparently they fill you up bc they soak up in your stomach and make you full a lot faster.
  • kathydp
    kathydp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I take a spoonfull and put in smoothie, yogurt, salad. It helps me feel full.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Chia? As in chia pets? Or just something with the same name? LOL Because I would definitely not want to eat my chia pet LOL
  • kathydp
    Options
    I have been using them with my diet.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I take a spoonful, and eat it. I don't mix it with anything :) They are chewy and very tasty.

Edit: because they are so small, it is hard for me to figure a way to take them 'on-the-go'. They spill out of almost every container I put them in, aside from using a large tupperware dish for a few tbs of seeds! :|
  • KristinC4
    Options
    I heard about them and bought some from Amazon.com. I tried them and I didn't notice any difference. I soaked them like the directions said and they turned into a gel. The texture of them was the hardest part for me to take. They are pretty much tastless, but the slimy feel of them made me gag. I tried them raw and I didn't care for them that way either.

Maybe I didn't try long enough, but as for the days I did incorporate them, I did not feel a difference.
  • fightingautism
    Options
    What do they taste like? Every time I read the name "chia seed" I picture that chia grower thing that looks like Screech from Saved By The Bell & harvesting the top greenery from his hair & munching on it. LOL.
  • kathydp
    Options
    I do that too. When I'm really hunger.
  • kathydp
    Options
    It's like eating strawberrys. The small seeds on them.
  • kathydp
    Options
    I don't soak them..
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    I add them to my natural yoghurt and berries, something I love. They make the snack a little more filling, but mind you only add a small amount!
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'll toss them in my protein shake.
    They have a natural gelling effect, so that can be a turn off if you can't handle a thicker shake.

I have also put them in my oat meal.
    Nothing wrong with them, and I think they are nutritionally sound. All fat and Protein, the carbs are all fiber. I can't find anything wrong with them.
  • nrotr
    nrotr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started using them a week ago in my oatmeal at breakfast. I read that it bulks up your food so you eat less. I can say I eat about 25% less of my oatmeal when I put the chi seeds in them. 1 tablespoon chi seeds, 1 sugar free package of oatmeal, 2/3 cup almond milk and I cook in the microwave 2.5 minutes. I do not notice a flavor change. The seeds do bulk up and are not crunchy after I microwave. I did try to eat then raw and follow with a cup of water. It did keep my hunger away a little longer but those seeds will get stuck between your teeth. So if you eat them raw be prepared to brush.
  • KristinC4
    Options
    I started using them a week ago in my oatmeal at breakfast. I read that it bulks up your food so you eat less. I can say I eat about 25% less of my oatmeal when I put the chi seeds in them. 1 tablespoon chi seeds, 1 sugar free package of oatmeal, 2/3 cup almond milk and I cook in the microwave 2.5 minutes. I do not notice a flavor change. The seeds do bulk up and are not crunchy after I microwave. I did try to eat then raw and follow with a cup of water. It did keep my hunger away a little longer but those seeds will get stuck between your teeth. So if you eat them raw be prepared to brush.

I may have to steal this oatmeal idea from you. I have a whole bag that is just sitting on my counter because I do not like them raw and I cannot handle them soaked.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    What do they taste like? Every time I read the name "chia seed" I picture that chia grower thing that looks like Screech from Saved By The Bell & harvesting the top greenery from his hair & munching on it. LOL.

They didn't really have a flavor. Just a texture! :O strange to think about it. I enjoyed it because it was chewy. Maybe a kind of seedy taste?
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have had them in a few products...

Dovedale (a NZ bread company) makes a chia rice bread that is the tastiest me-safe bread I have EVER had. Pretty sure the chia is what gave it that nice texture (I find straight rice bread to be akin to eating cardboard...)

In the US, GT's Kombucha (and several others companies) are doing beverages with the chia seeds in them (presoaked!) I have had them and enjoy them, one of my friends said the grape was 'kind of like drinking grape jelly with crunchy bits!'

Best of luck!
  • dronette
    Options
    Definitely gonna try them in my oatmeal tomorrow morning!
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I tried them and still have a very large container of them left. I could not get past the texture:frown:
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I take a spoonful, and eat it. I don't mix it with anything :) They are chewy and very tasty.

Edit: because they are so small, it is hard for me to figure a way to take them 'on-the-go'. They spill out of almost every container I put them in, aside from using a large tupperware dish for a few tbs of seeds! :|

Have you tried putting them in a small empty pill bottle? I do this with sunflower seeds and such because I can carry a small amount, they don't spill and they fit right in my purse. I wash them once I'm done taking the pills, and pull the labels off and take almonds and all sorts of things.