I want to start running...but not sure where to start.

Options
I've tried running a couple if times but something always goes wrong!! I either get winded immediately, trip and stumble, or get killer cramps in my side!! Is there something I cam do to ease myself into this with out getting so discouraged? And with winter coming I'm going to be limited to the treadmill which to be honest scares me a bit!

Replies

• RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K would probably help you out.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k! there are good apps to lead you through it if you have a smartphone.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a runner but have you heard of couch to 5k? It suppose to be great for beginners.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    c25k.com
  • Jenn3812
    Options
    I have no idea what this coach to 5k thing is! What is it and where do I get it?
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Google the C25K program. :wink: It works.
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You've got to walk before you run!!!:wink: Seriously, start out super super slow ~ you aren't in a race with anyone.... I have a book called "Run Your Butt Off" (I believe by Prevention) that is just perfect for the beginner ~ did wonders for me! I'd highly recommend... and there are several programs online, the Couch to 5K running program that was mentioned is good. Check out running sites online ~ they have a variety of plans and ideas to fit every runner. Good luck! You'll do great!:flowerforyou:

check out runnersworld.com
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    May want to try intervals, most gym treadmills have a button for it too. start with a jog//walk (2 min ea). Then work up the speed. Intervals are great for weight loss too, which will make running more enjoyable.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is awesome! You can find it on the internet. I think I downloaded mine from Cool runnings...you can do a search for it and you will be able to find it. Good Luck...I was not much into running and I am still slow, but I actually enjoyed this program...I have run my first 5k and will be running my 2nd in a couple of weeks.
  • ray1doc
    Options
    check out the following website

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Slow down - I always thought I couldn't run, but but starting out VERY slowly with run/walk intervals I've got over that idea and call myself a runner!
    C25K is great - if you google it you will find heaps of info and there are podcasts/apps to guide you through the run/walk intervals.
    My best tips for getting going:
    - good shoes and bra (spend the money you need to on these, you won't regret it)
    - run slowly
    - go at your own pace.
    - enjoy!
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options
    May want to try intervals, most gym treadmills have a button for it too. start with a jog//walk (2 min ea). Then work up the speed. Intervals are great for weight loss too, which will make running more enjoyable.

What he said.

Also, make sure to go buy a good pair of shoes. Nothing is worse than getting excited about running and then injuring yourself because your shoes aren't right for you. Go to a running store and have them fit you. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started running and I run 3 to 5 miles regularly now. For me my problem was my pace. I use my heart rate monitor to help me keep myself going at a sustainable pace. When my heart rate runs over my upper limit (170 for me) I slow down a bit.

Try to run twice per week and slow down. It may feel like your going too slow, but you can increase your speed later. Take 1 minute walking breaks to catch you breath and let your legs recover. You can do it, it just takes time.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    speaking as a c25k graduate, i'd say it is certainly an awesome way to go! i started back in august... have never been a runner... and now here i am, scheduled to run my first 10k on sunday! it worked wonders for me! it's a fantastic program that starts you off slowly doing walk/run intervals and gradually increases your running time while decreasing your walk time.

there are c25k apps that will tell you when to walk and run and there are also podcasts...

best of luck to you!
  • KristinC4
    Options
    Couch to 5K!!! Everyone has it right. The program starts you off with a 5 minute brisk warm up walk. Then you will alternate between a 60 second jog and a 90 second brisk walk for 20 minutes. Then you finish with another 5 minute walk. As the weeks go on you will begin to jog more. I am loving it!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    If you've never run before and aren't sure you can retain the motivation... check out your local running store. Many of them now offer coached Learn to Run programs which progress all the way up to Full Marathon Clinics.

These are coached by a professional instructors who want you to succeed and will have the answers to any of the questions that come up. They will help motivate you, observe and correct any issues you may have and make sure you progress at a pace within your abilities.

I actually coach a 10 K clinic thru the Running Room and can tell you that these programs are an excellent way to get into running safely.

Good Luck!
  • TeeBoland
    Options
    i was not a runner and found Couch 2 5 K and love it.. It has helped me so much.. I am getting ready to go into week 5. Good luck if you choose this program. It has helped so many people..
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    If you've never run before and aren't sure you can retain the motivation... check out your local running store. Many of them now offer coached Learn to Run programs which progress all the way up to Full Marathon Clinics.

These are coached by a professional instructors who want you to succeed and will have the answers to any of the questions that come up. They will help motivate you, observe and correct any issues you may have and make sure you progress at a pace within your abilities.

I actually coach a 10 K clinic thru the Running Room and can tell you that these programs are an excellent way to get into running safely.

Good Luck!

I second Jeffs idea (and he kicks butt by the way). I am a coach for a 5K prep class and we have people of all levels. My group is currently working their way through the miles with a run 1 and walk 2 which is perfectly fine. Intervals are the way to go especially for those people who really feel like they cannot do it. I started out running for 30 seconds and then walking for like 3minutes. I still believe in intervals and frequently run 1 min and walk 1 min even for races. Hey it gets you out there and the rest will come with time and effort. I know you can do it though!