Need better self-control - Tips?

Options
I've been having a difficult time having self-control when in stores. I'll run to CVS or somewhere to pick up something non-food related and find myself grabbing a bunch of junk food at the same time. I wouldn't mind as much if it was just one piece of candy but I grab two boxes, cookies, etc. More than needed. I wouldn't qualify it as a binge since I don't eat it all at once but the food definitely doesn't last long.

Example: Yesterday before lunch, ran out and ended up buying a (large) box of Milk Duds, box of Hot Tamales and two sleeves of Oreos (each sleeve had 6 cookies). I came back to work and ate the whole box of Milk Duds before I even went and had lunch. Then I had about 2/3rds of the Hot Tamales throughout the afternoon. This morning (yes, morning, as in 10:30am), I finished the Hot Tamales and then had the cookies.

I need to stop buying it first off and secondly, not have it in my desk at work. I find that I just mindlessly eat. I've thought about leaving my credit/debit card behind so I'm not tempted but I might end up needing it. I don't know what would help... Not going out period? Or not going out alone? Have a friend from work come with me so I don't buy everything? Does anyone have any suggestions? I hate to pack healthy foods just to blow it on something so stupid as this.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just try and fit small portions of said junk food into your daily cals and stick to that small portion. it doesn't deprive you of foods that you like but also teaches eating things in moderation
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Are you being too restrictive in your food choices in general? It's important to incorporate treats so that you dont feel deprived on a day to day basis. Maybe buying smaller packages.

I like the snack packs of goodies. I pack it and take it with me. Leave your money at home, in the car, or away from you so that you can't go buy the stuff.

Or maybe make your own goodies and pack those. I think buying halloween treats is great...I love mini candy bars. Had kisses this morning actually...instant portion control!
  • jsteinberg87
    jsteinberg87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've been having a difficult time having self-control when in stores. I'll run to CVS or somewhere to pick up something non-food related and find myself grabbing a bunch of junk food at the same time. I wouldn't mind as much if it was just one piece of candy but I grab two boxes, cookies, etc. More than needed. I wouldn't qualify it as a binge since I don't eat it all at once but the food definitely doesn't last long.

Example: Yesterday before lunch, ran out and ended up buying a (large) box of Milk Duds, box of Hot Tamales and two sleeves of Oreos (each sleeve had 6 cookies). I came back to work and ate the whole box of Milk Duds before I even went and had lunch. Then I had about 2/3rds of the Hot Tamales throughout the afternoon. This morning (yes, morning, as in 10:30am), I finished the Hot Tamales and then had the cookies.

I need to stop buying it first off and secondly, not have it in my desk at work. I find that I just mindlessly eat. I've thought about leaving my credit/debit card behind so I'm not tempted but I might end up needing it. I don't know what would help... Not going out period? Or not going out alone? Have a friend from work come with me so I don't buy everything? Does anyone have any suggestions? I hate to pack healthy foods just to blow it on something so stupid as this.

I know with me, I always feel bad after I eat something unhealthy or something I know I shouldn't really be eating. Or even if I don't eat in moderation. I feel like it doesn't even taste as good after I eat it. It wasn't worth it. However, I'm kind of a compulsive shopper, I grab things that I don't really need, especially in CVS or Walgreens - like new acrylic nails. Or a hair straightener. And I think wow, I look at the items I grab and realize alot of it has to to do with me making me feel better about myself. Its not plausible to always have a friend with you, although it helps... In psychology I learned to keep a rubber band around my wrist, and when I feel myself doing the behavior I shouldn't be, I snap it as hard as I can. It psychologically "snaps" you out of that moment, and helps curb your habits. I used this when I thought of depressing things ALL THE TIME, or when I was really going after junk food I didn't need. I know it sounds silly, but it actually helped me. And remember every milk dud or hot tamale you put in your mouth, you're somehow gonna have to burn it off later. Is it worth it?
  • jsteinberg87
    Options
    Just try and fit small portions of said junk food into your daily cals and stick to that small portion. it doesn't deprive you of foods that you like but also teaches eating things in moderation

PS I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS. You don't want to feel deprived, and you might be doing that and not even realizing it. If you can incorporate it into your diet, thats great!
  • jsteinberg87
    Options
    Try and think of where this feeling starts from. Sometimes for me its about spending money (not necisarrily on food), sometimes its about wanting sweets because if you are feeling deprived by eating so healthy... it makes you want junk food even more. Try and realize where this originates. Does it make you feel better eating it? Is it emotional eating? Is it emotional buying (retail therapy for me). Finding the source could also really help you figure out how to stop it. :) I'm here for you! If you need my cell # to text me, I'll be your Shopaholic Anonymous sponsor :) Message me if you feel you need to! I'm here for you!
  • LindsayInNYC
    Options
    I think it's emotional eating. Or boredom eating? Not deprivation though.

I'm safe with buying 100 calorie packs of cookies and whatnot and sometimes individual candy works but I've also had times when I've just ate candy after candy. I feel like crap afterwards too. It's a sugar addiction that I don't know how to break. All I know is that it's not healthy at all. =/
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ug, I can totally relate to this... you go in to buy something boring like shampoo and come out with stacks of biscuits or sweeties... nom nom... and then go into an eating frenzy.
    I have learnt to stock up on treat-ish items in my work drawer. My new love is rice cakes with dark chocolate on the top. They are great, low calorie and it feels like a treat. I'm sure you can get something similar. Also the working in some treats into your calorie allowance might help, so you have them planned, something to look forward to etc.

I'm a sucker for emotional eating, still not great with this but I am going to try the elastic band idea - thanks for the tip jsteinberg87.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You might just need to break a sugar addiction. Taking a friend with me when I left the office helped me, but then I would stop by the 7-11 on my walk to the train and get something terrible like a giant slice of cake. CAKE. In the middle of the day. I decided to do a week with no sugar, and got through it by having a lot of salty, briny snacks on hand, like pickles, olives, salt & vinegar almonds and marinated veggies. I also rinsed with Listerine before I went anywhere near sweets. Chocolate and candy just don't taste good after that stuff. It took about 10 days to break the cravings. I still have them, but now when I indulge my cravings the sweets don't taste as good or give me as much satisfaction as they used to. It's kind of sad that sweets don't fulfill me any more, but I know I'm better off without them.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Try going grocery shopping AFTER you've eaten. If you're not hungry and craving, there's a less chance of you picking up crap.

Also avoid problem aisles. For the most part, stick to the outside of the store and you'll be around healthier choices.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    This sounds bad, but just don't even look at it. I had to cut certain foods completely out of my diet. I have a serious problem with binge eating chips and salty crunchy snack foods. I just skip the aisle entirely, and if I can't do that, I just don't look at it when I go past.

Strangely enough, after months of doing this, I don't even want it that much anymore.
  • msmith3405
    Options
    I can relate to this. My downfall is ice cream and cake. I have trouble stopping - eating a little just makes me want to eat more. When I go to the grocery store, I know that if I walk down the ice cream aisle, I will grab a carton of ice cream. I now avoid the aisle and when I walk by that aisle, I have to tell myself why I can't go down that aisle. Pretty bad, I know.

I'm glad I don't have a problem with candy. Candy is really hard, especially this time of year. They keep it by the registers and at CVS, it's the first thing I see when I walk in the door. Try not shopping at CVS and Walgreens or take only enough cash for what you are buying. If you must have the candy, only buy a single serving package. Don't buy the big bag.
  • outdoorrecrocks
    outdoorrecrocks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me, the first thing I did was switch from eating sugar and processed food to eating healthy food. So, when I craved junk, I let myself eat until I could eat no more -- but of apples, nuts, salad, eggs, etc. This way, I could eat and simultaneously, I could switch from unhealthy to healthy foods. I still ate too much, at first, but it was "good" too much. Once I eliminated junk from my diet, I really found it much less exciting to binge. I also became able to identify the craving -- was it emotional eating, or true hunger? Now the only time I eat junk food is with friends, at parties, etc. I don't buy myself crap, but I'll indulge myself now and again when someone else offers it. Otherwise, if I had it at home, I'd eat the whole bag or whatever.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

I'm safe with buying 100 calorie packs of cookies and whatnot and sometimes individual candy works but I've also had times when I've just ate candy after candy. I feel like crap afterwards too. It's a sugar addiction that I don't know how to break. All I know is that it's not healthy at all. =/

^ I know for me the urge to snack at work is from boredom....being stuck at my desk working on something repetitious always makes my mind wander to chocolate. But like others have posted I just try to have a small amount and that's it. A lot of those little 100 calorie snack packets are good for portion control (LOL although my son once told me 'you know mom, if you eat more than one packet it's no longer 100 calories' duh...little smartass).
  • goodthings
    Options
    MMM milk duds!! I used to always do that in CVS, come in for something else, and then buy milk duds and sour patch watermelons. They only come in the large packages so I'd tell myself I'd spread it out, but would finish both within 24 hours. The only thing that stops me is when I'm actively tracking my calories on MFP, and I really don't want to have to enter the 1000 calories or whatever it all adds up to. If I pick up snacks like that, I look at the calories of the entire package, and assume that I'll probably eat the whole thing. Also, when I'm craving high calorie things like that, it helps me if I know I have an alternative for later....something sweet with less calories. Sometimes I make a giant bowl of sugarfree jello...it's not milk duds but at least it's sweet and takes me a while to eat it.