Zyban

Options
I smoked my last cigeratte on August 12th 2011. Ever since then my appetite has been out of control and I have had a very very hard time with my eating. I talked to my Doc today and she prescribed Zyban to help get my appetite back on control. Has anyone ever been on this?

Replies

• salyha01
    salyha01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't, however GREAT job on your last cigarette!! I had my last cigarette on December 6th, 2009- gained weight and was able to lose it again. It just takes some time. Keep up with this site and know that even if you put on a few pounds it will come off. Keep up the great work!!
  • popnfresh1
    popnfresh1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    congratulations! I quit almost four years ago. You will gain weight, no way around it, just from the not smoking. It changes the way your body works, and there are chemicals in cigarettes that accually help you lose weight. Smokers weigh 10 lbs less. Try eating healthy fruits and veggies, drink alot of water. Don't beat yourself up, your doing a really good thing.
  • starrstarr007
    Options
    First and foremost - congrats on the no smoking. I will be celebrating one year on Nov 9th - it is a LONG road but as someone ahead of you on the path - let me tell you it gets WAY easier - just stick with it - I have never felt better.

As for Zyban - it made me a lunatic! I mean I would cry if someone asked me how my day was. It is an anti-depressant and as my therapist said it makes you forget - it makes you forget to care, to eat, to kill yourself. I mean really it messes with your head like crazy and I was told that it could actually make you gain weight. I actually ended up trying hypnotherapy (a little different than hypnosis) to quit the last time - it was the only time I stuck with it!

May I suggest finding a different approach. First is smoking messes with your metabolism that is why you are all over the place - I suggest a couple of things - try acupuncture - tell them you want smoking cessation support, metabolism support and relaxation. Then add something like Biotin to your day - either in food or pill form - it is good for metabolism as well. Lastly - find a workout routine you can do especially one that has a fair amount of sculpting in it - building muscle fuels your metabolism. I will be honest - I gained 25lbs when I quit - but I also wasn't prepared - I figured all of this out WAY too late.

I don't want to tell you what to do - but honestly - stay away from the Zyban!

Good luck!
  • mei1005
    mei1005 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Zyban is generally perscribed to help you quit smoking, not for appetite problems. I've taken it on 3 separate occasions and I would say I have a love-hate relationship with it. It does help reduce the cravings and get you through that initial first 3 months, but it also made me feel slightly crazy. Like hyperactive, can't sleep cause I have nutso dreams crazy.

That said... I think it works. I've been off cigarettes for 6 months now. Best of luck to you!

:-)
  • suemurphy2010
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting.I quit smoking November 2009 and found using Nicorette inhalators in conjunction with their website worked for me, the action of hand to mouth was enough to convince my brain I was giving it what it wanted.. It's about breaking those habits you associate with cigarettes, your brain works against you for a while because it believes it needs the nicotine when you know you don't.

I've known a few people who have taken Zyban, if you find your mood changing or if you've had depression before you need to tell your doctor if you feel different in anyway. A friend at uni came close to harming himself within a month of taking this med. Not saying it will happen to you, just making you aware and let friends and family know to tell you if they notice a change.

Good luck
  • zyarnykh
    zyarnykh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am on Wellbutrin (for depression). I am also a former smoker but I quit w/o any medication. Buproprion, the ingredient in both Zyban and Wellbutrin, does suppress appetite for ME. I think everybody (and every body) is different so you just have to see if it works for you.
  • drpurl
    drpurl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Zyban - made me crazy! I was hoping to quit smoking & lessen my appetite. I ended up finding a natural solution to the appetite suppression. Much better than the crazy Zyban.