The Right Way?

Options
After reading through some forums, I notice a lot of plans that are following PT guidelines (high protein, low carbs) or media guides (Atkins Diet). Everyone knows that if you cut calories you will see a noticeable change in weight loss. Following any diet will show it because the calories are reduced!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

This article shows a professor in Kansas that ate twinkies every 3 hours for 10 weeks and lost 27 pounds to prove its about cutting the calories!

So whats the right way? Research seems to show that you should eat the recommended macro nutrients (carbs 50-60%, fats 30-35%, proteins 10-15% of daily calorie intake) to maintain a healthy body along with water and minerals/vitamins. That's what is great about this website is you can track all of your eating and compare it to these values! Also, cheater days are NOT going to kill you, but as you make these behavior changes, you will find yourself not having AS MANY cheater days as you continue along. My suggestion? The government spends a gross amount of money researching this stuff, so I would trust their results!

As for Exercise, this is the ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) recommended exercise per week (once again based on years and years of research):

Cardio:
1. Frequency of training: 3-5 days per week
2. Intensity of training: 55/65%-90% of maximum heart rate or 40/50%-85% of VO2 max
3. Duration of training: 20-60 min of continuous activity (if you have less intensity, increase the time, high intensity= less time)
4. Mode of activity: any activity that uses lots of muscle groups (i.e. hiking, jogging, walking)

Muscular Strength:
1. 8 main body parts to hit (quads, hamstrings, core, lower back, upper back, chest, shoulders, arms) should be worked 2-3 days a week at least 8-12 reps. (the more reps/intensity, the greater muscular strength)

This is what will help overall fitness level as well as HEALTHY living vs the modified diets and such, the main thing to realize is this: your body can SAFELY lose 2 pounds a week, and on average (unless you are a steroid user) you will gain about 24 pounds of muscle in a YEAR (this correlates to 2 pounds of muscle a month) That is maximum your body usually is able to gain no matter who you are! (do note, women have lower testosterone levels so they won't see this kind of gain, more along maybe a pound a month)

So if you are looking for the "right way" of working out it is this: time is your friend. Give it time if you want to do the "right way"

Thoughts?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Not everyone works exactly the same. Some metabolize certain foods differently or can't tolerate certain foods. For some people, where the calories come from does make a difference.
  • Yovocheko
    Options
    Not everyone works exactly the same. Some metabolize certain foods differently or can't tolerate certain foods. For some people, where the calories come from does make a difference.

It is true, however the data that you will see emphasizes the chemicals that break down your food. so by eating the right kinds of carbs, proteins, and fats will only add too your bodies ability to break down the food in a healthy way. For example, when you drink alcohol, every humans liver will use NAD coenzyme to help process the alcohol that enters your liver. This is also the same coenzyme that breaks down food and uses it for energy, so when you drink, your liver needs more NAD which means less to break down the food, so other chemicals will just store that food until it can be broken down (why people who drink a lot of alcohol while maintaining a relatively good diet will gain weight) so yes, people will have different energy usages, but all peoples bodies break down the molecules in the same way, so the best thing to do is take a clinical test to determine your exact metabolic energy needs per day
  • coffeyhe
    coffeyhe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I found it informative and have given me a lot to think about how I ago about using this program.
  • Yovocheko
    Options
    One more tweak, sometimes when incorporating both diet and exercise, the scale may not show a significant change (but do realize that if you lose some fat tissue, gain a little muscle, your muscle will hold a little more water) so be conscious of your body fat composition, for that might be changing without the scale showing it!