Barefoot Exercising (in general)

mandeiko
mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
Thoughts?!

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I'm interested in what people have to say.
(Heck yeah I can rhyme! :smokin:)

Replies

• auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    I walk to my mailbox barefooted.

Does this count?
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    I do my EASA2 and 30DS in socks. I tried using aerobic shoes, but they bugged me. I'm curious as to what others say as well.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    I do everything barefoot or in Vibrams. I like it and I dislike shoes.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I do pilates barefoot.
  • Katemarie34
    Katemarie34 Posts: 144 Member
    Anything I do at home, I do barefoot. I do my turbo jam/ jillian workouts/insanity/ whatever barefoot. I like it!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    I love working out barefoot!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 526 Member
    I have practiced running in my VFF's (SUPER sore calves!). I have taking classes at the gym in my VFF's (LOVED IT!). I tried taking Zumba in them, but they grip to the gym floor and I couldn't scoot around very well with the twisting and such.

The only I would say - it ease into it. If you aren't used to being barefoot - those are muscles you need to build up, too.
  • irisherin82
    irisherin82 Posts: 66 Member
    I do everything in vibrams! Love them! I've slowly increased the amount I run as well... used to hate running cause I'd always get chin splints... but with vibrams I dont get the chin splints, and my knees dont hurt after a run! I've tried wearing running shoes or workout sneakers since but they are no longer comfortable and made my feet cramp up!
  • jendarlin
    jendarlin Posts: 184 Member
    I only workout barefoot (in my home) when my toenail polish isn't quite dry enough to put on socks and shoes! :wink: Otherwise I prefer to have shoes on.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I don't like shoes. If I'm home I'm barefoot or in floppies. I'm doing P90X right now and I do it barefoot. When I walk on my lunch hour I wear shoes. I'm considering getting some vibrams in the not too distant future but I still won't wear them when I'm in the house.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    depends on the excercise.
    if I'm doing overhead pressing, or using dumbbells, probably gonna wear shoes.

deadlifts are done barefoot by lots of people
  • pattiglod
    pattiglod Posts: 2 Member
    I do not like shoes either. I am bare foot as soon as I am home. So exercise I do at home is usually bare foot. when I go to the Gym I try to pick the classes that shoes are not required. :wink:
  • kleeper80
    kleeper80 Posts: 69 Member
    Just out of curiosity, does anybody that has had major heel problems run with Vibrams? I have thought about getting some, but I had foot surgery on one foot last year, and am probably going to have to have the same surgery on my other foot in the near future. I am just wondering if they provide the support needed.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I do everything barefoot or in Vibrams. I like it and I dislike shoes.

This! Mine are Terra Plana and Nike Free shoes to run in but everything else is barefoot. It's not for everyone, I've never gotten hurt. However, my friends constantly tell me I need a pedicure, the barefoot stuff doesn't make for real pretty feet, but I can walk on just about anything. It's good for those who like Grounding or Earthing as well (uh oh, showing my radical side, LOL)
  • I LOVE my Vibrams! I started getting a bunion and all kinds of other foot issues while running in high-tech shoes, and they all went away when I switched to minimalist shoes. Anyone looking for support or cushioning should look elsewhere as they provide NONE of that, BUT they do teach all those little muscles, ligaments, and tendons in you toes and feet to do what they're SUPPOSED to do! Break into 'em gradually though...no long distances right off the bat! YMMV...
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 526 Member
    Just out of curiosity, does anybody that has had major heel problems run with Vibrams? I have thought about getting some, but I had foot surgery on one foot last year, and am probably going to have to have the same surgery on my other foot in the near future. I am just wondering if they provide the support needed.

Vibrams provide no support what so ever. They are the closest thing you can get to being barefoot without actually being barefoot. The thing with running in them, though, is that you DO NOT land on your heels. That is a BIG NO NO. I read one article where someone described is as if you forget and land on your heel, you will feel it all the way to your molars.

When running in vibrams, you need to hit the ground mid foot or land on the balls of your feet. It is a KILLER calf work out. It is a COMPLETELY different way of running than heel sticking in super squishy, padded running sneaks.
  • Anything in doors I do barefoot or with socks mostly barefoot tho. Socks make me slide with im tryin to do different things
  • the majority of my cardio comes in the form of the treadmill... Due to a car accident my knees arent the greatest so I NEED the extra cushion afforded by my shoes.... HOWEVER ... I have been eyeing those shoes that look like toe socks with a sole on the bottom of em... Anyone have experience with em ?
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    I do Zumba (on the Wii) barefoot at home. I run in my Shox (on pavement) and do Zumba at the gym in dance shoes.

I have seen the Vibrams but never knew much about them. After reading all these comments, I may have to get a pair. If anything, they look cool :)
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Thanks to everyone who responded :)