Peanuts...IN the shell?

Options
This HAS to be a common question, but I did a search and can't find the answer. I might be phrasing it wrong, though.

In looking for peanuts, I get measurements like "1/2 cup, shelled". Well...I like to shell them as I eat them! :) I don't really want to shell out 1/2 cup then eat them. So, anyone know ABOUT how many peanuts IN the shell would equal, say, 1/2 cup shelled?

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    would love to know the answer to this as well...my mom often has peanuts in the shell on the counter at her house and when i pick up my kids on thurs nights i often grab a few and find that i can not find a way to log them so i just dont....lol...it wouldnt put me over so i dont worry about it, just curious...
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no idea, but my (possibly bad) suggestion would be to go through the hassle of shelling all of your peanuts and keeping track of how many it takes to equal 1/2 cup. And then just keep that number in mind from now on.

I also see an entry in the food log that says Planters - Peanuts in a Shell and it measures the peanuts by ounces.. And it says 1 oz is 19 pieces. Idk if that helps. :/
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question to my co-worker who is a dietician. I was inquiring about peapods.. The serving says 100 calories for a 1/2 cup serving. I was confused as to whether that meant 1/2 cup of the peas once they are out or 1/2 cup with the shell and all. This sounds like your peanut question! She said that whatever the label says is how you measure. So I ended up putting the damn peapods in a measuring cup and filling it up.. It ended up being like 20 peas but I guess that's how it works. If I were you I would put the shelled nuts in a measuring cup and measure that way.

Let me know if anyone else has ideas for I could be wrong! :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Uhh, maybe go by weight? At least you can weigh a bag of in shell peanuts, eat what you want, and weigh the empty shells and what ever is left over to find out how many oz/g you have consumed. I am sure there is something somewhere that has the caloies per oz/g out there.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Good question, as I was wondering the same thing when I was at the store today. Best idea I can think of at the moment is what was mentioned a few posts up - to shell enough once to fill up a half cup, then count out that many in the future.

Feel free to upload the results and share with the rest of us, too!
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    I would take a handful, weigh them whole, shell & eat the nuts, but weigh the shell, subtract shell weight from whole weight, then you have an idea of what an average handful contains. That's my best suggestion, other than just shelling them then eating them, but I think you would probably eat more if they were pre-shelled, the shelling will be slowing you down.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i looked on a bag at walmart tonight...sorry i dont remember exactly what it said but on the serving size it gave 2 options, shelled - nuts only was like in oz??? and then in the shells was 1/2 cup...i do remember that much....check the label on a bag next time you are at the grocery store...
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a perfect opportunity to test your patience and shell some peanuts prior to satisfaction!
  • IndyRick
    IndyRick Posts: 172
    Options
    OK, here we go. 1/2 cup IN the shell peanuts yields 1 oz SHELLED peanuts. :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the clarification! My problem is that I wouldn't stop at 1/2 cup! lol
  • JohnnyCalvin
    JohnnyCalvin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Right...but how many PEANUTS IN THE SHELL are we talking about?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I do the same with walnuts, pecans and almonds. MFP has "per nut values" in the database for those 3.. See if they have it for peanuts..
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Now you have me craving peanuts in the shell.. they always smell so much better than unshelled! No way to get any right now though :(
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Use the mfp official entry- there's an option to enter it as "1 peanut"

PS. same thing goes for pistachios.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The Hampton peanuts in the shell that I eat are in the database as such. Also, there are entries in the database for pistachios in the shell and shelled. I don't know how accurate the numbers are, but the "in the shell" amount is basically double the shelled.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this, and also what about if you eat the shell, too?
  • tacoinfl02
    Options
    From everything I have read, including MFP...28 individual peanuts are roughly 1oz. Assuming there are 2 peanuts in each shell you crack open, that means you can have 14 peanuts in the shell. My bag of peanuts says "Serving size 1oz (28g) without shells is 164 calories. Using the "1 Peanut roasted, unsalted" option on MFP...28 peanuts is 168 calories. Close enough for me. I can crack open 14 peanuts and eat what's inside. Hope this helps. It was driving me nuts. Ha, no pun intended. :)
  • dillingerr
    dillingerr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    18 peanuts (twin pack) in shell.

I took a sandwich bag of shelled unsalted peanuts, weighed them (100g), shelled them and weighed them again (80g). 20% of shelled peanuts is the shell. Therefore, to get the 1 oz = 28g allowed for one serving you take 28g X 1.2 = 33.6 grams or 1.19 oz. of peanuts. OR 18 standard two peanuts in the shell.

Now, for those taking notes 18 shelled nuts will equal 28 grams @ 170 calories, I'm still hungry
    OR
    Subway Turkey mini sub is a whopping 135g of yumminess @ only 180 calories and 7 TIMES LESS fat.