Drinking a ton of water but still thirsty

Options
2»

Replies

• Myzeray
    Options
    Dr. Told me I'm at high risk for diabetes (Known as Pre-diabetic) I'm at risk but don't have it yet. Just went to the doc 2 weeks ago. Anyone have any idea how to stop this without drinking less water?
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Please go back to the doctor and get checked again. That sounds exactly like the onset of diabetes (I was diagnosed 22 years ago). It can happen over night. I would recommend asking the doc for glucose testing strips and monitor so you can check at home going forward.
  • Myzeray
    Options
    I actually have strips and a monitor (I had Gestational Diabetes while I was pregnant.) I just set up another appt for the doc on monday. Thanks for all the help guys! I kinda like this little community. *Grins* Why are there no "Like" buttons. LOL
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your sugar? What is it at?
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Dr. Told me I'm at high risk for diabetes (Known as Pre-diabetic) I'm at risk but don't have it yet. Just went to the doc 2 weeks ago. Anyone have any idea how to stop this without drinking less water?
    Diet and exercise (which I can assume you are doing because you are here) are effective with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. I assume you have type 2, since that is the type with a documented genetic link. But if your glucose is high, you are going to be thirsty. And hungry. And constantly in the bathroom.

The excessive thirst, honestly, is the least of your problems. The increased glucose floating through your body is wreaking havoc silently. Get that under control, the thirst (and other symptoms) will correct themselves. If your diet is good and you are exercising yet still have high sugar, then you will need oral medication, which you said you are already on. (Which is why I said you are diabetic, not pre-diabetic, because once you need medication, you are diabetic.) If your diet and exercise and oral medication are all good, then you might need supplemental insulin.

You have a monitor. What is your blood sugar?
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Signs of diabetes: polyphagia (increased hunger), polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyuria (increased urine). All this happens because the body is trying to get rid of the extra sugar in the blood. If you have diabetes, you may also notice (or others may notice) a fruity smell to your breath.

There really isn't any such thing as "pre-diabetes." You either have it or you don't. Sounds like you do. See your doctor.

Yes, there IS in fact such a thing as prediabetes. If your fasting and/or glucose tolerance level are elevated but not high enough to classify you as a diabetic, then you have pre-diabetes. I work with these patients everyday.
  • diana160
    Options
    The more you drink the more you want. The more you drink the more you pee. However, the nurse in me says make sure you are not a diabetic. Thrist can be a symptom of Type II Diabetes. Blessings Diana:happy:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    There really isn't any such thing as "pre-diabetes."
    ROFL
  • Myzeray
    Options
    My sugar is normal. Holding solid at 92. Just...Thirsty. For like the last week.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You could actually could be drinking too much water. This has happened to me, I actually cut back a little on the water intake and it helped. Also, how's your sodium intake? Not enough and your body won't retain as much of the water as it should, so you'll keep drinking more - there's a happy balance there, though, cause too much salt and you retain too much water...bah!
  • tschmelzer
    Options
    The first thing that comes to mind is get checked for diabetes

I agree. You should really go to the doctor and get checked out. Drinking that much water should make you feel hydrated not thirsty. Hope you find out what is going on! Good luck
  • tschmelzer
    Options
    Also what is your sodium intake??? An increased sodium intake can make you super thirsty as well.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have to agree that I think it is because you are drinking too much water. You should get checked out medically (never hurts) but maybe consider looking at how much fluid you are actually drinking (all fluid including your water but also any other drinks). Too much is as bad a thing as too little!