Stationary bike question

Options
i am riding my Stationary bike at around 6 to 7 mph right now and wanted to know what effort level that would be. and if anyone know where I can get the mph rating on effort. LIke 0 to 5 mph would be this and 15 to 20 mpg would be that??? Thanks for reading.

Replies

• tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    t depends on your resistance setting as well as your speed.

I recommend a heart rate monitor as a way to measure the effort of various exercises.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Effort depends on the person, not on the speed.

If you can still talk in full sentences, that's low exertion. If you can only talk in two or three word spurts, that's medium exertion. If you can barely speak a syllable that's high exertion.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I will be any help but I think it goes by how you feel on the bike. I can put a high resistance on the bike and feel like puking on the bike and be covered in sweat and it will say that I am biking around that same miles. I believe I read somewhere when I googled it that light effort you can still hold a convo., moderate effort you can talk a little but barely because you are huffing, and intense you cannot hold a conversation at all and your breathing is really hard.
  • ekim724
    ekim724 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    thank you all, i am guessing this isn't something easily found out it has to many venerable. So i will keep entering it as light because I can do most of a sentence.
  • tschmelzer
    Options
    It totally depends on you as a person and how you feel. Here is a scale of perceived of exertion that should help you out. On a scale of 1-4. A one is nothing you could do it all day and not really work your heart rate. 2 you feel a push back on the peddles and your heart rate starts to rise you could continue for about 30 minutes. 3 you are working pretty hard here your heart rate is up and you can't go for too long without wanting to slow down or stop. 4 you are breathless and want to stop really really bad :)

Hope this helps you out,. It is how I gauge my cycling when I take classes at the gym :)