cottage cheese ideas

I love cottage cheese plain and I love that its loaded with plenty of awesome protein.
But I get sick of eating it plain sometimes and I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas to give it a little more excitement.

Replies

• NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    I like it with fruit, especially peaches and pineapple. You can also blend it and use instead of mayo to make pimiento cheese spread. I saw someone putting salsa on it but that did not appeal to me.
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    It's awesome over some sliced tomato!
  • As weird as it sounds, I put fruit flavored yogurt in it... Black cherry is my fav. I don't like the taste of plain cottage cheese, and I don't like the texture of yogurt, so mix the two together and it's the perfect snack! YUM!
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    I am a savory person, myself, so I love putting salsa in it! Sometimes I also do some dill and cucumber :).
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I like to put the following things in mine:

Tomato w/lots of pepper
    Peaches
    pineapple chunks
    fruit cocktail
  • Any kind of chopped veggie ( I like green onion and broccoli) then a low calorie dressing. A tsp. is enough....enjoy!
  • I like cottage cheese too and it tastes really good with a little bit of apple butter. Jut mix it together and use it as a spread, somewhat like jelly on a piece of your favorite bread toasted. Yummy!!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Chopped chives for savoury.

For sweet - a little brown sugar, some cocoa and a small handful of sultanas.
  • melbasc
    melbasc Posts: 32 Member
    I bought cottage cheese Sunday when I did my first healthy food grocery shopping trip. I thought I ALWAYS checked dates but somehow failed to notice the date on the cottage cheese is October 25th. That means I bought it two days before the expiration date. How do you tell if cottage cheese is spoiled??? lol....how many of you toss it by the date or continue using a few days past?
  • I used to like my cottage cheese on wasa crackers with some thinly sliced cucumbers or radishes on top, and a little bit of salt.
  • StephanieRDMS
    StephanieRDMS Posts: 90 Member
    I like cottage cheese and unsalted saltines...now...I recently looked at the nutritional value on the back of the cottage cheese carton, and its LOADED with sodium! Is there such a thing as "low sodium" cottage cheese??? Someone please let me know!!! :o)
  • mistiesnshn77
    mistiesnshn77 Posts: 23 Member
    I got really lazy not too long ago and hadnt gone shopping so I got creative...

I use low fat, small curd cottage cheese.

1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup button mushrooms-diced
    1/4 cup bell pepper-diced
    2 Jenny O tukey, breakfast sausages-cooked and diced
    a lil pepper
    a lil salsa

Lunch! It was great!
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    make orange fluff- blend cottage cheese until smooth, stir with sugar-free orange jello, two cans mandarin oranges, one can crushed pineapple, fold in some low sugar cool whip, let set in fridge.
  • ConnectwoNature
    ConnectwoNature Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you so much for the wonderful ideas everyone =)
    I will be trying all of these
    :happy:
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    I bought cottage cheese Sunday when I did my first healthy food grocery shopping trip. I thought I ALWAYS checked dates but somehow failed to notice the date on the cottage cheese is October 25th. That means I bought it two days before the expiration date. How do you tell if cottage cheese is spoiled??? lol....how many of you toss it by the date or continue using a few days past?
    Where possible, I BUY it when they've reduced it to clear because it's almost at the use by date - today I got some at 66% off! If you take too long to eat it there's always the chance of a little mould growing on the top but, otherwise, I've not had a problem.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    I like cottage cheese and unsalted saltines...now...I recently looked at the nutritional value on the back of the cottage cheese carton, and its LOADED with sodium! Is there such a thing as "low sodium" cottage cheese??? Someone please let me know!!! :o)

You can buy no salt added cottage cheese. Doesn't have any flavor.