Low Carb-ers

Options
Troll
Troll Posts: 922 Member
I'm cycling my carbs this week (and next, if it works) and i just have to ask-HOW DO YOU DO IT? As a vegetarian, i have really been baffled by trying low carb-let me just say if i have to eat any more cheese or another freaking egg i'm going to scream (i actually dreamed about rolls and fruit juice last night, apparently i needed some bread.) I am thrilled that today is my high carb day because I'M HAVING A SWEET POTATO :D So, for those of you (and this may be a dumb question, but bear with me) who say you stay below 50g a day, what on earth do you eat?

I honestly don't know that i could do this as long as some of you have, i must admire your determination! :)

Replies

• brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just started trying to do lowER carbs and am finding it difficult also - I am eating the same things, but, it is getting easier. I'm looking forward to some of the replies for ideas! There's another thread titled "Low carber daily forum" that has recipes and ideas. You can search for it by name, if you're interested!

Best of luck! :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Remember a few things first:

1. Carb cycling is more beneficial to those that are already somewhat leaner looking to get even leaner.
    2. Count your net carbs which is your total carb - fiber.
    3. You should try to make it a habit to do it more than just one or two weeks.

Eat veggies and limit or cut out the breads, pastas, potatoes, rice, etc on low carb days so you can keep it relatively low. Your normal foods will have some carbs in them already so you also need to count those as well. Eat your proteins and fats.

Priority is the calorie deficit, always.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I'm cycling my carbs this week (and next, if it works) and i just have to ask-HOW DO YOU DO IT? As a vegetarian, i have really been baffled by trying low carb-let me just say if i have to eat any more cheese or another freaking egg i'm going to scream (i actually dreamed about rolls and fruit juice last night, apparently i needed some bread.) I am thrilled that today is my high carb day because I'M HAVING A SWEET POTATO :D So, for those of you (and this may be a dumb question, but bear with me) who say you stay below 50g a day, what on earth do you eat?

I honestly don't know that i could do this as long as some of you have, i must admire your determination! :)

Beans, veges,tofu, stuff like that. I'd go to the Atkins website. They have tips on how to low carb being a vegan.
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't go for under 50 g, I just am aware of that number and set myself for around 100 g. But vegetables should not be off-limits under no way. Plus 1-2 fruits a day should be ok. Bread, potatoes, pasta and rice, on the other hand...
    But why do you do low-carb if it's that hard for you. I don't think that this is the right approach to a sustainable weigh-loss. Up your carbs between 100-150 g/day. Then, when you feel comfortable, try to slowly lower them. Nobody dies if you have 10-20 g extra one day and cut some the next. Just pick a path you feel comfortable with.
  • djdelano
    Options
    Hi

Vegetarian? Now that's something I could never (want) to do. I gotta have my meat.

ok, so coming from a carnivore you may just dismiss what I say, but I had a friend on atkins, a veg head, and did it with Tofu.

Personally I get a gag reflex when someone just mentions Tofu, but if you're into check this site out

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=lowcarbdiets&cdn=health&tm=19&gps=123_11_1248_806&f=00&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http://www.immuneweb.org/lowcarb/food/protein.html#charts

are you total all the way a veg head? I don't think so cause you mentioned egg, what about Seafood excellent source of low carbs and and plethora of good for you stuff.

I was very successful on Atkins, but I love meat. My favorite snack was ham rolled in turkey wrapped with bacon. Yum

I have nightmares about being forced to become vegan...

-D
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Carbs = glucose = brain food.

Your brain is telling you it's hungry.

Carb cycle.
  • Troll
    Options

1. Carb cycling is more beneficial to those that are already somewhat leaner looking to get even leaner.

Eat veggies and limit or cut out the breads, pastas, potatoes, rice, etc on low carb days so you can keep it relatively low. Your normal foods will have some carbs in them already so you also need to count those as well. Eat your proteins and fats.

I guess i need to start my posts with a disclaimer:
    I AM NOT OVERWEIGHT. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN A CALORIE DEFECIT AS I EAT 2000 CALORIES A DAY TO MAINTAIN MY ENTIRE 108LBS. I AM TRYING TO GAIN MUSCLE AND GET MY BODY FAT INTO THE MID TEENS. aND I AM GETTING TIRED OF PEOPLE ANSWERING WITH THE ASSUMPTION I'M ANOTHER OVERWEIGHT PERSON JUST STARTING A "WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY" .

Ahem. As for the res tof you, thanks for the answers. I honestly don't think i could make this a lifestyle-getting teary eyed over 8 oz of apple juice is pretty darn sad :)
  • Troll
    Options
    Hi

Vegetarian? Now that's something I could never (want) to do. I gotta have my meat.

ok, so coming from a carnivore you may just dismiss what I say, but I had a friend on atkins, a veg head, and did it with Tofu.

Personally I get a gag reflex when someone just mentions Tofu, but if you're into check this site out

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=lowcarbdiets&cdn=health&tm=19&gps=123_11_1248_806&f=00&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http://www.immuneweb.org/lowcarb/food/protein.html#charts

are you total all the way a veg head? I don't think so cause you mentioned egg, what about Seafood excellent source of low carbs and and plethora of good for you stuff.

I was very successful on Atkins, but I love meat. My favorite snack was ham rolled in turkey wrapped with bacon. Yum

I have nightmares about being forced to become vegan...

-D
    i'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, i've always hated fish! And less on the lacto-i have to watch cheese and dairy because i'm mildly intolerant :) And i love me some tofu, but it's hard to find aorund here
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of green leafy vegetables, salad veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, different types of cabbage and brussel sprouts..........

I don't believe a low / controlled carb plan is hard to maintain at all. I will even throw in a honey crisp apple or an orange every couple of days.
  • Troll
    Options
    But why do you do low-carb if it's that hard for you. I don't think that this is the right approach to a sustainable weigh-loss. Up your carbs between 100-150 g/day. Then, when you feel comfortable, try to slowly lower them. Nobody dies if you have 10-20 g extra one day and cut some the next. Just pick a path you feel comfortable with.
    [/quote]
    My new disclaimer:I AM NOT OVERWEIGHT. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN A CALORIE DEFECIT AS I EAT 2000 CALORIES A DAY TO MAINTAIN MY ENTIRE 108LBS. I AM TRYING TO GAIN MUSCLE AND GET MY BODY FAT INTO THE MID TEENS. aND I AM GETTING TIRED OF PEOPLE ANSWERING WITH THE ASSUMPTION I'M ANOTHER OVERWEIGHT PERSON JUST STARTING A "WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY" .
    And hard or not, my body fat has stayed the same for a while now and nothing changes if you don't change. OS i figured,"hell, it works for bodybuilders and i eat/lift like one; why not?"
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options

I AM NOT OVERWEIGHT. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN A CALORIE DEFECIT AS I EAT 2000 CALORIES A DAY TO MAINTAIN MY ENTIRE 108LBS. I AM TRYING TO GAIN MUSCLE AND GET MY BODY FAT INTO THE MID TEENS. aND I AM GETTING TIRED OF PEOPLE ANSWERING WITH THE ASSUMPTION I'M ANOTHER OVERWEIGHT PERSON JUST STARTING A "WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY" .

Ahem. As for the res tof you, thanks for the answers. I honestly don't think i could make this a lifestyle-getting teary eyed over 8 oz of apple juice is pretty darn sad :)

Mostly carbs help build muscle.....mostly
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

I guess it was an assumption, and not a reason to scream at people. Carb cycling is about lowering body fat which is not the same as wanting to build muscle, that you would need to eat over maintenance consistantly and then reduce calories and possibly carb cycle to lower your body fat percentage later.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of green leafy vegetables, salad veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, different types of cabbage and brussel sprouts..........

I don't believe a low / controlled carb plan is hard to maintain at all. I will even throw in a honey crisp apple or an orange every couple of days.

This, and I like greek yogurt, nuts (especially almonds), berries (I thinke they're one of the lowest carb fruits), and almond milk.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Ok first of all...you never stated that you were trying to build muscle. Of course you never stated your goals at all. No one made an assumption that you are "just another overweight person".

If you would have taken the initiative to state what your goals actually were, and what you were trying to achieve, then maybe people would be so inclined as to give you advice pertaining to those goals.