protein

Options
does it matter if your protein is used up if you still have calories remaining... i'm confused

Replies

• GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My protein is always over the recommended amount and I don't see a problem with especially if you are exercising a lot. :) If you are your muscles need a good amount of protein to repair themselves :)
  • drdenise
    drdenise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    No, and I believe it is better to eat more lean protein! As long as you don't consume more than 30 to 40 grams of protein per serving, which I believe is the most your body will process each time, you are good! :)
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Going over on protein is nowhere as bad as going over on sugar or salt so don't panic. If you're exercising it's much better to have extra protein to help repair muscles.
  • mrscortes2008
    Options
    It's definitely better that your protein be used up that your carbs. In fact, I'm using an eating plan right now that requires you to eat equal or more protein than carbs in a day, and so far I've had great results. So far, I've lost 13 pounds in 3 weeks and I haven't felt deprived yet. The thing is, protein metabolizes slower than carbs, so you feel full longer while avoiding the extreme spikes and dips in your blood sugar caused by living off carbs. I'm always WAY over on my protein intake for the day. Friend me, and then you can see my food logs for some good protein rich meal ideas. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    No, and I believe it is better to eat more lean protein! As long as you don't consume more than 30 to 40 grams of protein per serving, which I believe is the most your body will process each time, you are good! :)

Actually to my knowledge the amount of protein per serving your body will process has never really been proven. Some say 20g and the pro bodybuilders say 60g at once so who knows. What I know is if I eat to much protein it will effect me negatively and I will be in the restroom for a while that how I know for certain for me. :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Your body can utilize more than that per serving or meal.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    MFP has it set on low...so its ok to go over protein..in fact its better for your body, especially working out..
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Your body can utilize more than that per serving or meal.

As far as I know the body can't store protein but it can remain in the blood stream and be burned as fuel if there is an excess. But glucose is more likely to be burned first and fat after that. So, the protein can normally stay in the blood stream until it can be utilized. There may be some truth to the 30-40g thing in that, no you wont use all of that within the about 1.5 hours that it takes to fully digest them. However, Proteolytic enzymes (like Bromelain)
    increase absorbtion by 4x.

So, no you don't use all of it for rebuilding tissue or building new tissue, some of it will be used for energy, some will be excreted. However, most of it will be used for tissues. If you want to get more out your protein you can take bromelain with it.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Actually to my knowledge the amount of protein per serving your body will process has never really been proven. Some say 20g and the pro bodybuilders say 60g at once so who knows. What I know is if I eat to much protein it will effect me negatively and I will be in the restroom for a while that how I know for certain for me. :)

This is how I see it too!