hypothyroid - now dropping weight very quickly

Options
About 8 months after having my son - after packing weight back on - my doctor ordered a thyroid test and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid.) I've been on medication since. I've now been on medication for 10 months (my son is a year and a half now) and for the past couple of weeks I have been dropping weight like CRAZY. I have been eating well (up'd my calories even) and exercising less (due to a foot injury) and, to be honest, I'm kind of alarmed at the rate I am losing. I am in my healthy BMI range so it's not like I have a lot to lose.

Has anyone gone from having an under-active thyroid to not needing medication anymore? Or could I be hyperthyroidic now? I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so I'm going to bring up some questions with my doctor. Just thought I'd see if anyone is/was in the same boat as me. TIA =)

ETA: I'm currently on a pretty low dose of levothyroxine

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Your dose maybe too high, or ironically it can more rarely be a sign that its still too low.

I was born with it (Congenital Hypothyroidism) and struggled with losing weight despite been on 300mcg's a day. It took me 4 months to lose 9 lb!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Your dose maybe too high, or ironically it can more rarely be a sign that its still too low.

I was born with it (Congenital Hypothyroidism) and struggled with losing weight despite been on 300mcg's a day. It took me 4 months to lose 9 lb!
    See, just recently I've lost about 9 lbs in 2 weeks :/
  • mokeymokey
    Options
    I think it's common with postpartum thyroidism to go from under active to overactive. I sufferered from overactive after my last pregnancy - weight went from 11stone to 8.5 stone in about 5-6 months (fantastic babybweight loss I thought until I started feeling the symptoms months down the line)

Get your bloods checked to confirm if it could be that or your thyroxine needs adjusting

Bes wishes
    MM
  • mokeymokey
    Options
    Could also be your thyroid returning to normal maybe, too?
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    ahhh yes.. I didn't relaise that could be possible if it happened after pregnancy! .. tell your doctor and get him to re-do your bloods.
  • 65kalena
    65kalena Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also had hypothyroidism diagnosed after the birth of my 20 year old daughter. I lost 10 lbs, in the first week on medication.
    They told me that it's something I'd always be on. My dosage has changed over the years to needing more but it's a good thing to get checked every 6months. Also if you can afford the brand name Synthroid it might be a more consistant dosage vs. the generic.
    Good luck at the doctor's office!
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely get another blood test done.