Easy and cheap chicken recipes wanted :)

Options

Replies

• angelapolite
    Options
    Hi!
    See my thread on chicken drumsticks recipes, I got alot of great ideas!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Cut some chicken breast up into strips or chunks, whichever you prefer. Brown it. Add a chopped tomato, some chopped bell pepper and onion to your skillet until they are nice and cooked. Add whichever spices you want, and voila a yummy, super easy and healthy meal.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Buy chicken breast tenderloins and cook them in a frying pan on the stove with a little EVOO.

Once they're nice and browned, add some salsa to the pan and let it warm through.

Delicious, and flavorful, and good for ya. :happy:
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    My other standby is to buy large, boneless skinless chicken breasts.

Marinate about a half hour in EVOO/lemon/garlic.

Bake them for about 20 minutes, pull 'em out, cut a slit in the side and stuff them with a diced tomato/italian breadcrumb/onion/other veggies/mixture.

Sprinkle a smidge of parm on top and put back in the oven until cooked through--

Delish!
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    Sorry if I'm going overboard-- chicken is my favorite thing to cook with, haha--

Chicken kabobs! Google recipes-- most of them are healthy because the chicken is either grilled or baked, and your other main ingredients are veggies.

Ground chicken formed into patties and grilled makes delicious 'burgers'.

And any of your favorite dressings probably makes an excellent marinade for baked chicken-- My favorites are zesty italian & Cardini's brand Caesar-- pair with some cous cous and it's a simple, easy meal that tastes great.
  • TIARAR247
    TIARAR247 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this. i will be using some of these recipes myself
    :smile:
  • k5yac
    k5yac Posts: 1
    Options
    Great sounding recipes... thanks for sharing!
  • bmccrory2
    bmccrory2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Simply grilled with salt and pepper.
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • simp2
    simp2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    sounds just yummy
  • simp2
    simp2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    sounds just yummy
  • littleenginethatcan
    Options
    If you enjoy spice and have the time:

Chicken breasts (pounded)
    Pablano Peppers (I pepper per chicken breast)
    Bread Crumbs (Panko Italian work well)
    Shredded Mozzarella (or your fav cheese)
    Egg for dipping

Pound out chicken breasts
    Seed peppers and put some cheese in the middle
    Wrap Chicken around Pepper, use wooden skewers to keep in place
    Dip in egg mixture
    Coat with bread crumbs
    Fry to golden brown
    Bake in oven 425, until chicken juice runs clear, or is 165 degrees internal temp.

So Yummy!
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A way to grill or bake chicken and have it be very moist is to wrap in foil. I bought several different dry rubs, rub the chicken breast liberally with them, wrap in foil and cook. They come out very moist and yummy. If you don't have or want to buy rubs, just sprinkle with some spices (onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, etc)

Also, an easy crock pot recipe is:
    Chicken breasts
    Can of Reduced Fat Cream of Mushroom or Chicken soup
    Cup of Salsa
    Taco seasoning (one packet)

Dump all in crockpot and cook on low 8 hours or high 5-6. Shred chicken and add 1/2 cup light sour cream. This can then be eaten over rice, noodles, as enchilada filling, on baked chips as nachos. You get the idea. :)

I'd be careful with the aluminum foil. . . it's been linked to alzheimers. http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=99
  • linjo66
    linjo66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Like a few before, my go to is a jar of salsa, but I do mine on the stove top in a large non-stick fry pan. I brown the meat, add a jar of low sodium salsa and simmer on a low-ish temp, covered, for about 15-20 minutes until the meat is no longer pink. The kids like adding cheese to the top to melt it. Yummy with rice!!!

Love all of the other ideas too. Can wait to try some!
  • BuffyKicksButt
    Options
    We have recently made a ton of different meals as lettuce wraps - so like chop up chicken breast pan fry with any kind of seasonings you like ( southwest/taco/fajita/asian ). Then serve with leaves of iceburg lettuce. I add in pico de gallo or just tomato and if I have the room in my daily intake a little cheese. I have also used ground turkey and ground pork for the asian style. Basically anything you would wrap in a tortilla just sub in the lettuce :) I honestly don't miss the tortillas at all. You save a ton of carbs this way!
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Chicken with pasta, spinach, and tomato
    2 chicken breast
    2 large diced tomatoes
    1 package leaf spinach
    1 package cooked spaghetti
    1/2 cup minced onion
    1/4 cup asiago or parmesan
    2 Tbls olive oil
    1 Pat butter just for a little flavor
    2cloves minced garlic
    Salt, pepper, spices, herbs to taste
    Juice of one lemon about 2 tbls

Cook your chicken however you like, I do mine in a skillet with evoo until it reaches 165F. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Boil your spaghetti. Defrost the spinach. Soften the onion and garlic in a large skillet with olive oil and butter. Toss pasta, chicken, and the spinach into the skillet with the onion and garlic and stir to combine. Add the diced tomato, lemon juice, and asiago just before you remove the pan from the heat. I like to add a little fresh oregano and red pepper flakes before serving

This is a great dish for additions and substitutions. Whole wheat pasta to reduce the carbs. Artichoke hearts instead of spinach. Sausage instead of chicken. Turkey sausage instead of sausage. Add diced olives or capers for a little mediteraneanness.
  • Fit4Kateri
    Fit4Kateri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yum yum yum...now I'm hungry. Good thing I have some carrots in the work frig.
  • robyng1986
    robyng1986 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fireman300
    fireman300 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump