High protein recipes to share?

Options
ttkg
ttkg Posts: 357 Member
Does anyone have any high protein recipes, as per my trainer I should be eating more protein. His recommendation is around 120 grams per day...I have exhausted the cottage cheese, greek yogurt, turkey burger, turkey bacon, eggs and almonds options.

I live alone and I am a wee bit challendged in the kitchen...any suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Well, considering you haven't mentioned the obvious, chicken breasts and fish tend to be great sources of lean protein.
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Have a protein shake?

Mostly this is what I do:
    Breakfast: Egg beaters + Turkey Bacon + Lowfat Cheese + Bagel Thin ~25 G protein
    Snack: Protein Shake ~ 30 G protein
    Lunch: Variable
    Dinner: Chicken + Veggies ~50 G protein

So there's 105 grams right there not even including a lunch.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, chicken and whey protein powder are your friends! :happy:
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Search jays homemade protein flapjack and honey nut protein yoghurt (or some variation of that, can't recall exactly what I named the threads).

Both pretty solid for quick snacks.

Or just eat a bunch of chicken. I like cold chicken breast so I have no probes nailing 200g of chicken in one go.

Cottage cheese is solid too. Depends if you like it though I guess.

Or good old whey shakes.

Jay
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Salmon and your best bet is getting some protein powder. You can stir it into oatmeal, water, coffee, yogurt, milk etc.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I like to make healthy stir-fry with lots of shrimp and veggies. Just saute veggies (fresh or frozen) in a pan with cooking spray until desired tenderness & toss in some shrimp! (you can add chopped garlic & onion the veggies when you saute and just season to taste! I don't use a lot of oil when I cook because if I'm going to have to count the oil, I want to taste it! So, I will typically add 1/2 - 1tbl of olive over the stir-fry after it's on my plate!

How about making a healthy meatloaf? Use extra lean ground turkey, beef or pork, seasonings, onions, celery, etc and bake in a loaf pan or a muffin pan for individual servings.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    discovered this today: http://www.proteinpow.com/ recipes with protein powders
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    below is a link to my blog with some things I like to cook...many of which give you nice protein. also, as some folks have said, getting a protein powder is a quick and easy way to get protein into your body. aim for a protein powder that has at least 20 grams of protein per serving and not too many carbs/fat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/hmalin1/view/my-favorite-foods-to-cook-161286
  • ttkg
    Options
    This is great - thanks all...some days I just stare at this cottage cheese and cannot think of a single other thing to cook, lol. Many great ideas, I appreciate it.
  • ttkg
    Options
    below is a link to my blog with some things I like to cook...many of which give you nice protein. also, as some folks have said, getting a protein powder is a quick and easy way to get protein into your body. aim for a protein powder that has at least 20 grams of protein per serving and not too many carbs/fat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/hmalin1/view/my-favorite-foods-to-cook-161286

I just skimmed this - these are great ideas and look delicious without too much culinary skills required, thanks!
  • ttkg
    Options
    discovered this today: http://www.proteinpow.com/ recipes with protein powders

I always thought protein shakes/powders were for body builders, this is a great source of info on different powders, appreciated!
  • ttkg
    Options
    I like to make healthy stir-fry with lots of shrimp and veggies. Just saute veggies (fresh or frozen) in a pan with cooking spray until desired tenderness & toss in some shrimp! (you can add chopped garlic & onion the veggies when you saute and just season to taste! I don't use a lot of oil when I cook because if I'm going to have to count the oil, I want to taste it! So, I will typically add 1/2 - 1tbl of olive over the stir-fry after it's on my plate!

How about making a healthy meatloaf? Use extra lean ground turkey, beef or pork, seasonings, onions, celery, etc and bake in a loaf pan or a muffin pan for individual servings.

Healthy meatloaf - this is on next week's menu and shrimp is on my grocery list. :happy:
    175081 Posts: 1
    Options
    Amana Canadian bacon is the best: 15 calories and 11 grams of protein per slice! I combine it with Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges and whole wheat bread for a sandwich under 200 calories!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Amana Canadian bacon is the best: 15 calories and 11 grams of protein per slice! I combine it with Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges and whole wheat bread for a sandwich under 200 calories!

Umm... I think you've been lied to..

Protein as a substance contains 4 calories per gram. There's no getting around that. So 11 grams of pure protein by definition would contain 44 calories - and bacon almost certainly contains some fat too. Are you sure you read it right?

MFP tracks this as 11g of protein and 60 calories for 4 slices so that'd be a little under 3g of protein per slice.

Jay