What do you do if someone HATES vegetables?!

Options

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna be much help. I hate veggies too. I eat approximately 0 servings a week. *shrug* Doesn't appear to have hindered my weight loss any!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends what she wants. You can't really force somebody to change if they aren't ready to. If she is ready to change, then I think a bit of tough love doesn't hurt. To say that you will not even try something new because you have not liked it in the past is kind of toddler-like behaviour. Try to find some veg, any veg that she likes and start off with that. The veg does matter but it isn't necessarily the highest priority. Work on portion sizes - sometimes I tell my patients to have 1/4 plate protein, 1/4 plate starchy carbs and at least 1 vegetable to at least try. Of course, if they want to fill themselves up I'd advise filling the rest of the plate with veg ;)
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    V8Vfusion is really good. has veggies masked by fruit taste yum :)

also has a ton of sugar....not the best choice.....juice in general is bad, even if its pure juice no sugar added, its the equivalent of drinking a coke........
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Honestly, it is probably time to tell her to put on her big girl veggie pants and chow down! Haha, no but really I know it is hard to get into eating veggies if you're not used to it. In my case I hated bland vegetables, but hummus, balsamic vinegar, and roasting have been saviors. You could just focus on the foods she likes, but it's boring. Being a food explorer is way more fun! Maybe ease her into eating more new things by mixing other stuff in. Garlic mashed potatoes and turnips and cooked spinach, roasted carrots and parsnips, sandwiches with cucumber, spinach, and avocado thrown in, heirloom tomato salad, spicy roasted cauliflower!

Talk to her when she tries something new.
    What doesn't she like about it? Is it the texture? Cook it differently.
    Is it the flavor? Add spices or what have you.
    Learning to eat vegetables is a dialogue, there are as many ways to cook them as there are other foods.

Flavor is power!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    this reminds me of Jessica Seinfelds book Deceptively Delicious... maybe you could look into that :D

This was my advice. That book has the best cauliflower mac and cheese ever!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Check out some of these:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14396797/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/hate-veggies-ways-sneak-them-meals/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-and-cooking/tips-for-kid-friendly-vegetable-dishes/index.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-and-cooking/tips-for-kid-friendly-vegetable-dishes/index.html

Maybe try making it fun?
    Try a new vegetable a week-- Make a fun dish that maybe she can help you with so she'll feel proud & be more likely to indulge curiousity. No matter the age, if it's fun, you're more likely to participate. Especially if there are ones she says she doesn't like-- I didn't like half the foods I do now when I was 10, but I started getting adventurous when I was her age and found that my taste buds have changed.
  • nightmare217
    Options
    Do you have a food processor? I hide veggies in my kid's food when they get really picky about what is for dinner.

For instance:

If I am going to make something like beef or even chicken tacos, I will puree some tomatoes, spinach, or peppers into the meat. It actually makes the mix taste wonderful.

You can do that with almost anything. If a meal has some sort of sauce, then add extra veggies- or even make up a sauce of your own that goes along with her diet. The sky is the limit here.
  • diaryoffatdad
    Options
    our pallets are trainable.......that is you can train yourself to like things, you just have to constantly try it over and over again.
    think of trying to go from a double double coffee (2 cream 2 sugar) down to black coffee. it would taste gross at first, but if you persist it gets less and less gross then its not bad then it good then all of a sudden you wonder why you put cream in your coffee.

same with vegitables, its all about exposure and re-exposure......you can train yourself to like them you just need the constant re-exposure
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I thought of the Jamie Eason Live Fit trainer and she has a list of acceptable foods and serving sizes, if you want to help her make a list of the things she likes:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-approved-foods-list.html
  • meggylovee
    Options
    Google 'How to sneak veggies into your kids meals'. There will be a ton of ideas on how to add veggies into almost anything. Also, try smoothies, you can had spinach, carrots, cucumber, red peppers & I'm sure a host of other veggies in with some fruit, low fat milk & flax seed & have a great snack or meal substitute. I find smoothies are great in the morning because I'm not a big breakfast eater. Btw, my 14 month old loves these smoothies. :) And yes I also think you need to tell her to suck it up & try more things. If she is trying to lose weight & eating the same things over & over she will soon be burnt out & may start eating unhealthy again. Good luck.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Just because you hate toothpaste doesn't mean you don't brush your teeth. Just because you don't like soap doesn't mean you don't bathe.

Every morning millions of people who don't like going to work, do so to earn a check to satisfy their responsibilities.

What does not liking vegitables have to do with eating them. I don't like most of them. I eat them because my body needs them.

"I don't like them." is acceptable from a 3 year old. Much past that, it's time to grow the hell up.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    "I don't like them." is acceptable from a 3 year old. Much past that, it's time to grow the hell up.

I disagree. If someone really doesn't like the taste of something, it has nothing to do with being immature. I hate avocados. I would gag if I had to try and eat one. I eat the vegetables I do like and skip the ones I don't.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I actually thing trelm makes a really good point. I TOTALLY accept "I hate avacados" (which are fruits, anyway, no?), but "I hate all veggies," is a completely different statement from that.

So actually, I made another suggestion above... But I also agree with telling her to suck it up a little bit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I disagree. If someone really doesn't like the taste of something, it has nothing to do with being immature. I hate avocados. I would gag if I had to try and eat one. I eat the vegetables I do like and skip the ones I don't.

I think the point is she doesn't just dislike 1 thing (I'm with you on the avacado thing). This girl hates almost all veggies - she's got to try a little harder. Cooking them differently, frozen vs. fresh, lots of options here.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I actually thing trelm makes a really good point. I TOTALLY accept "I hate avacados" (which are fruits, anyway, no?), but "I hate all veggies," is a completely different statement from that.

So actually, I made another suggestion above... But I also agree with telling her to suck it up a little bit.

But she didn't say she hates them all. She only likes a few. So you start with those and encourage her to try new ones or try things prepared in different ways. But saying she "must" eat them no matter what she thinks of them isn't going to work.
  • diaryoffatdad
    Options
    what will work is exposing her to vegetables over and over again.

lets say she doesnt like broccoli, every time its made she has to at least eat a little bit, a bite whatever, then next time she tries a bit more and a bit more the time after that and so on....she will like broccoli some time down the road and it will happen faster than most people think, its all about repetition
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I thought of the Jamie Eason Live Fit trainer and she has a list of acceptable foods and serving sizes, if you want to help her make a list of the things she likes:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-approved-foods-list.html

thanks, this is very helpful!

you guys are great...thanks for all the suggestions!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of either cooking some meals with her with the veggies included or maybe even providing her samples of some recipes you really like. Have her try different veggies in different ways. Maybe she doesn't like canned green beans (for example) but she'd like them fresh and broiled or steamed or even raw? A friend of mine doesn't like boiled/steamed whole brussel sprouts but I told her about an option to chop and saute them instead and she loves them that way (I still hate them though LOL).

Maybe once she tries some new options it'll open her mind to trying more. I like the idea of hiding veggies too. I sort of do this by using green peppers and mushrooms and sometimes spinach or broccoli to bulk up some of my recipes. If the recipe calls for 1 pepper, I'll use two. If it has cream of mushroom soup in it, I addan 8oz package of diced fresh mushrooms. Etc, etc.

Good luck!
  • Alloranx
    Alloranx Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've always LOVED veggies and am very adventurous with trying foods, so it is hard for me to even fathom how I need to approach this with her.

There is probably a physiological reason for that. Some people can taste chemicals in food that other people can't, in much the same way that color vision is variable - i.e. color blindness and (theoretically) tetrachromats. Have you ever done a PTC or PROP taste testing? It's these little sheets of paper impregnated with a chemical that some people can't taste it at all, some think it is bland or only mildly bitter, and some people think it is terribly bitter or even nauseating. There is a genetic basis for this particular difference in tasting ability, and people who taste these chemicals strongly are called supertasters. Research has shown that people with this genetic variant are much less likely to eat vegetables regularly, and unfortunately, are also much more likely to get colon cancer, probably as a result of poor fiber intake. There are also a variety of other food types that supertasters tend to avoid, but there is enough variability that I think there are probably a lot of other genes involved. Long story short: some vegetables may taste much more bitter or otherwise disgusting to her than they do to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/9h425217p82g2g73/
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/mn4132184g0w42p7/
    Part of me is tempted just to tell her to buck it up and decide how serious she is about being healthy and make a choice to branch out...and start gradually working in more veggies. Or should I just work with what she likes (which is high in starchy carbs) and only focus on overall calorie intake and exercise?

If weight loss is the only goal, then calorie intake restriction and exercise will suffice. There is no inherent need to eat vegetables at all to lose weight. I lost 22 lbs recently with relative ease and I practically never ate vegetables outside of some occasional carrots and a limited selection of beans. Vegetables do help to lose weight though, because they are filling and generally low calories, but it is by no means required. It is however difficult to get all of your micronutrients every day without vegetables, and like I mentioned above, fiber intake will probably suffer. To compensate I religiously take multivitamins, try to make up the difference at least somewhat with fruits, carrots, and V8, and eat a lot of other high fiber foods.

Is it possible to change her tastes? Perhaps. I don't deny that some food aversions are psychological in nature. But hers may not be. In my case, there are many vegetables (among other foods) that cause me to gag and vomit. I have tried over and over again to gradually acclimate myself to some of them, cooking them differently, garnishing them with different things, psyching myself up for 20 minutes before and convincing myself that it will taste great, and it still happens. I can eat some of these foods that ordinarily evoke this reaction when their taste and texture are destroyed by being cooked in a strongly flavored soup with some more palatable things, but that's the only way I've found that works, and it doesn't work for everything. My mother desperately tried the "sneaking them in" thing with me and it rarely worked. I can still remember when she tried the cauliflower mashed potato thing....disaster. I kind of hated her a little for trying that.

The best piece of advice I can give you is that trying to make her feel ashamed about not having the willpower to eat the things you want her to eat is counterproductive. Try to put yourself in her shoes: what if someone told you to drink a quart of motor oil, and if you can't stomach it, it's just because you're weak and you'll never be healthy? Just try a little motor oil at a time and build up to the full quart. It sounds silly, doesn't it? That's how it felt for me being told to eat some foods. My family gave me so much $#!7 about food when I was growing up, telling me how ungrateful I was, and that I just didn't know what was good. At times I refused to even try things just to spite them for how bad they made me feel. I was probably 13 or 14 by the time they all finally got the message that I would not budge, and finally stopped trying to make me eat things that make me feel sick. From then on they were content to just ridicule me every other meal, and they continue to do so to this day at family gatherings, though thankfully much less frequently. Please do not do that to this girl. It accomplished nothing in me. I still eat roughly the same things despite years of emotional turmoil and embarrassment, and any progress I have made in trying new things has happened only when I have been away from that kind of inane criticism. If you want to help her, then find out what she likes first, and then build slowly from there, introducing new foods rarely and not demeaning her if she can't tolerate them. You can also find healthier variants of the foods she likes that are lower calories and better nutritionally (lower carbs in her case, perhaps lower sodium and higher protein as well). Check out a book like "Eat This Not That."
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Just because you hate toothpaste doesn't mean you don't brush your teeth. Just because you don't like soap doesn't mean you don't bathe.

Every morning millions of people who don't like going to work, do so to earn a check to satisfy their responsibilities.

What does not liking vegitables have to do with eating them. I don't like most of them. I eat them because my body needs them.

Maybe it's just me, but this just sounds really depressing. Yes, in life we do things we don't want to do because we prefer the outcome if we actually perform the annoying action. However, I don't know that weight loss has to be one of those times. In fact, I'm not sure any of the examples really fit the bill.

I hate mint (flavoring); fresh mint is fine. As a result finding toothpaste i would use as a child was a challenge. I don't use toothpaste that's mint flavored as a result. Also I don't use soap that I don't like.

My dad worked a job he hated for decades because it paid well and he felt like he had to. It did not make him a pleasant person. I think I would have preferred him if he had a job he actually didn't hate.

What does eating or not certain vegetables have to do with losing weight by necessity? Just work around it. It's totally possible.