Does it count?

Options
So im very fussy, and need to eat more vegetables, but the only way i can tolerate them is smothered in cheese sauce! so i pose this question... Does the cheese sauce negate the goodness of the vegies if i eat them that way?? or is it fine as long as i factor the cheese sauce in?? Opinions please.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    They all end up in the same place. The sum of the parts is in this case exactly equal to the sum of the whole.
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    Calories and fats wise, the cheese sauce isn't the best choice, but you will still get nutrients/vitamins from your veggies, regardless of what you put on them (though depending upon how they are cooked, they may lose some nutrients in the cooking process).
  • satterlm
    satterlm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hmm, can you get a lower calorie cheese/high protein, that may make it better. Like Kraft has a 2% cheese/shredded and i would think if you are doing portion control, u are still doing good, the "fake cheese sauce" doesn't have any nutrients in it. But maybe try the kraft 2%, i found that their cheese is really good exp. it being lower cal.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Well, you'll get lots of vitamins from the veggies which is a bonus. So, it really depends on the cheese sauce you are using. Have you tried sauteing the veggies in a little bit of olive oil and sprinkling some grated parmesan on top? You might like that (same idea) but without all the processed garbage and preservatives in a lot of cheese sauces. Or, try making a sauce yourself.
  • satikat
    satikat Posts: 35
    Options
    you can do cheese sauce, or ranch or parmesan cheese or garlic butter.

Cheese sauce won't hurt, but trying other sauces is always a good idea- even if you hate it, you've tried something different. And try things often. Your taste in food can change over time.

low sodium soy sauce is good too.
  • slfit1
    slfit1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow, so many replys thanks guys! The cheese sauce i use is homemade, a little bit of cornflour, butter, then majority light milk, and a little bit of light tasty cheese is the best i can do with the cheese sauce i make!

I will try those other suggestions, i tried a light saute of veggies with a basil and garlic sauce, but ti wasnt nice at all! lol.
  • HealthyGela
    HealthyGela Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you tried V8 Fusion Light?
  • tobi459
    tobi459 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • val205
    val205 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Try maybe grating a little Parmesan cheese over the top instead - not as many calories but lots of flavour - or try different sauces too - your tastes will change.
    Either way it's good that you are getting the extra vitamins from the veggies :)
  • JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This is kind of like your basic math problem. Ax + b= c. If ax equals 3, b equals 5 and c equals 7 you have a major fail. C should be 8. Therefore if ax equals cheesesauce, b equals veggies c has to equal healthy.....correct. But in this arithmetic model c does not equal healthy. So the problem is incorrect.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Put the cheese sauce on them, pretend it's not there when you track. Fails to work every time!
  • Pkiddy
    Pkiddy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like dipping my carrot sticks in salsa. spices them up. as for other veggies, i agree w/ the people that add a big of grated Parm. :) either way, as long as you count all the calories, whether from the cheese or the veggies and stay on track you will succeed.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Put the cheese sauce on them, pretend it's not there when you track. Fails to work every time!

This also works with beer and ice cream.
  • slfit1
    slfit1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!! will try these tips! And lol to sublimly and lorlnill
  • Herownself
    Herownself Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Can you try roasting the veggies? It really brings out the sweetness. Kale chips are yummy. My kids even like them.

http://www.food.com/recipe/oven-roasted-kale-404834
  • Fernella13
    Fernella13 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have you tried hummus? I'm a bit picky about veggies too and was surprised that they tasted so good dipped in hummus.
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My wife likes to mix a bit of mayo in with broccoli when she cooks it. A bit high on the fat, but I still get the benefit of the broccoli. You might try different ways of cooking the veggies and different types of veggies to see what you might like. There is a site called http://www.101cookbooks.com/ that has vegetarian recipes that always look very tasty. I am not a vegetarian, but the recipes always look really tasty.

Don't give up on veggies. You really need what they offer. You just need to find a way to make them tolerable for you.
  • gallagg1
    Options
    Making the sauce with the different flavors of laughing cow would also help with the variety! There's also stuff they make for sprinkling on popcorn that's "cheese flavored" -not at all natural, but if sodium's not a problem for you it's lower in fat and calories.
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try your vegetables roasted with Sea Salt, pepper and olive oil, spread out on a pan and bake at 350 till they look brown and yummy. They are delicious! You can roast peppers, onion, eggplant, carrots, zucc., squash (any type) brussel sprouts (So yummy roasted) kale, potatoes, really any of them are great. THey carmilize and take on a different taste and texture. Even my husband who doesn't like any can tolerate them. Good luck!
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I dont think it matters at all, just weigh how much cheese you put on and get the calories......as long as your calories are per day are in range their shouldnt be any problem