Myth or not?

Options
I once heard that celery essentially has no calories. Like, It has very little calories but it takes more calories to use/break it down. Is this true? Not that I am going to count it as 0, just curious.

Replies

• MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    Bump!

I've heard that it a stick of celery has about 6 calories but it takes about 10 for your body to eat/break it down. I'd also like to know!
  • mrsfoose
    Options
    Celery had 5 calories a stalk and unless you plan on chewing the stalk for a few hours you are not going to burn any calories by eating it. However it will make you feel fuller quicker which will cause you to ingest fewer calories. Also, celery is pretty high in sodium so those with high blood pressure should eat it in moderation. If you binge on it and feel bloated the next day the it could be the reason why.
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I learned in Nursing School that it is true.
  • aWashCloth
    aWashCloth Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Its not a myth per say, but I think there is a lot more thinking being put into this then there really should be.

If you ate 1200 calories of celery, well.. You would still be eating 1200 calories.. It takes your body a certain amount of calories (energy) to burn what you ate, as well as do the other things that it does every day (Build muscle, heart beating, etc etc etc)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think it has so few calories that it doesn't matter.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    google negative calories, not sure if it is a myth tho, i would just count it like anything else
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    If that were true, then I would be losing a lot more weight. I eat half my calories in leafy greens and veggies. I am losing a pound a week as predicted. Myth in practical application in my opinion.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    A basic example of how negative calorie foods are believed to work compared to a regular piece of food:

Food A contains 50 calories ----} The body will have to burn 100 calories in order to process and digest food A ----} 50 calories minus 100 calories gives a total of 150 calories so food A is therefore a negative calorie food

Food B contains 300 calories ----} The body will require 100 calories in order to process and digest food B ----} 300 minus 100 still leaves a high amount of calories absorbed into the body that will need to be burned in another way so food B is a positive calorie food.

http://www.calories-in-foods.com/negative-calorie-foods-list.php
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2396/2

There you go... I hope that solves all possible doubts you have about celery :flowerforyou:
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'd think that if you were to eat massive quantities of celeries for a while (like, eat next to nothing but celeries), your body would eventually learn how to digest them efficiently, so it might not matter much anyway.

One thing is for sure: binging on celeries is MUCH better than binging on potato chips, chocolate, etc. :)
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    A basic example of how negative calorie foods are believed to work compared to a regular piece of food:

Food A contains 50 calories ----} The body will have to burn 100 calories in order to process and digest food A ----} 50 calories minus 100 calories gives a total of 150 calories so food A is therefore a negative calorie food

Food B contains 300 calories ----} The body will require 100 calories in order to process and digest food B ----} 300 minus 100 still leaves a high amount of calories absorbed into the body that will need to be burned in another way so food B is a positive calorie food.

http://www.calories-in-foods.com/negative-calorie-foods-list.p

Check your math. You mean -50 instead if 150?

Not that I believe in negative calorie foods anyway
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Waaw! high in sodium? No wonder I was feeling so thirsty.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Nothing has negative calories. Zero and up, but nothing negative. Pseudo science isn't science.