Why do we need so much protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Also, eating protein doesn't = muscles, same as eating fat doesn't = fat. Your body breaks everything down into it's basic components and then does what needs to be done the most at that moment with it. That's a really simplified explanation, but you get the point.

Eat a well balanced diet, with proper amounts of fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean proteins and you'll be just fine. It's really quite simple, I don't know why everyone has to make it so complicated. We evolved to eat things in proportion to how much is available. Plants are plentiful, fruits less so, grains less so, etc. Thankfully, everything is made from more or less the same building blocks so all contain a bit of everything. Even things that have no protein in them have some of the components of protein.
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    I have been informed by my trainer that a healthy daily serving of protein for a woman is 64g. Basically protein builds muscle, and muscle burns fat. So the more muscle you have, the more fat you are likely to burn in a workout!

I would say it is safe to assume, that others saying, "eat your weight in protein" are trying to build huge muscles.

From my own experience of greater protein intake, (more than 150g daily) I was building muscle to the extent of gaining muscle weight. By lowering my protein intake back down to a "healthy" amount, I have began to see the scale move down again!

I am by no means a dr. So my knowledge, is solely based on things that have worked for me! Best of luck in your weight loss journey!

Lol.
    <sigh> It's not eating your TOTAL body weight in grams of protein, but your LBM (lean body mass). And that is to maintain, not "building huge muscles", which, btw, a woman won't do unless she is 'roiding.
  • SummerFun2011
    Options
    I have been informed by my trainer that a healthy daily serving of protein for a woman is 64g. Basically protein builds muscle, and muscle burns fat. So the more muscle you have, the more fat you are likely to burn in a workout!

I would say it is safe to assume, that others saying, "eat your weight in protein" are trying to build huge muscles.

From my own experience of greater protein intake, (more than 150g daily) I was building muscle to the extent of gaining muscle weight. By lowering my protein intake back down to a "healthy" amount, I have began to see the scale move down again!

I am by no means a dr. So my knowledge, is solely based on things that have worked for me! Best of luck in your weight loss journey!

Lol.
    <sigh> It's not eating your TOTAL body weight in grams of protein, but your LBM (lean body mass). And that is to maintain, not "building huge muscles", which, btw, a woman won't do unless she is 'roiding.

I have heard this too! And for me would be around 90 pounds of lean body mass
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

That website says, "Studies show that the healthiest diet is one that is high in carbohydrate, low in fat, and moderate in protein" Are you kidding me? That's what the FDA food pyramid triangle suggests, and that's a big reason why American's are overweight; weight-loss programs like Body for Life, AthleanX, P90X, Jillians, etc. will all challenge this idea. As soon as we started fearing fat, we started becoming fat; this is a key idea behind South Beach Diet. Fat is the fuel needed for burning weight. As soon as we accepted eating all those carbs, obesity rates have gone up ever since. (I'd also like to mention those sources are from the 90's which hasn't seen the reality of how this diet has led to obesity rates).

Protein is the building blocks for muscle, your greatest tool to losing weight. Cardio alone will only get you so far, and as soon as you stop cardio you will either have to tighten the calories or keep doing cardio. With building muscle, and I'm talking lean muscle, not Gold's Gym steroid-look-at-me muscle, you're body's metabolism, a never-ending source to burning calories, will require more calories, helping you lose that stubborn fat even faster. Getting 120 grams of protein may be a bit too much for some people, but it's really easier to get than you think.

If you need sources I'll see if I can find them, but just wanted to post my opinion :)

Thankyou, I agree. I was only getting 30-40 grams of protein a day and staying away from fat and now I get my 110+ a day very easily, eat healthy fat and I am losing fat finally after years of standing still. I can see my obliques!
  • SummerFun2011
    Options

That website says, "Studies show that the healthiest diet is one that is high in carbohydrate, low in fat, and moderate in protein" Are you kidding me? That's what the FDA food pyramid triangle suggests, and that's a big reason why American's are overweight; weight-loss programs like Body for Life, AthleanX, P90X, Jillians, etc. will all challenge this idea. As soon as we started fearing fat, we started becoming fat; this is a key idea behind South Beach Diet. Fat is the fuel needed for burning weight. As soon as we accepted eating all those carbs, obesity rates have gone up ever since. (I'd also like to mention those sources are from the 90's which hasn't seen the reality of how this diet has led to obesity rates).

Protein is the building blocks for muscle, your greatest tool to losing weight. Cardio alone will only get you so far, and as soon as you stop cardio you will either have to tighten the calories or keep doing cardio. With building muscle, and I'm talking lean muscle, not Gold's Gym steroid-look-at-me muscle, you're body's metabolism, a never-ending source to burning calories, will require more calories, helping you lose that stubborn fat even faster. Getting 120 grams of protein may be a bit too much for some people, but it's really easier to get than you think.

If you need sources I'll see if I can find them, but just wanted to post my opinion :)

This is very interesting! :smile: I do strength train 2-3 times per week. I always thought 60-70g was plenty! Is actually way more then I was getting :flowerforyou: Its hard for me to get 120 because I am a very picky eater! My taste buds hate protein i swear :laugh: :laugh:
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Protein doesn't build muscle. Exercise does. And it's a misnomer that you must get it from meat sources.. lots of vegans out there who are well-built athletes.
    Just because someone is Vegan doesn't mean they don't get protein. There are a lot of non meat proteins!
  • lefleri
    lefleri Posts: 9 Member
    Options

This is very interesting! :smile: I do strength train 2-3 times per week. I always thought 60-70g was plenty! Is actually way more then I was getting :flowerforyou: Its hard for me to get 120 because I am a very picky eater! My taste buds hate protein i swear :laugh: :laugh:

LOL awesome to hear about the strength training :) Honestly though, everyone's body is different. I weigh 166, and I've been putting on muscle and losing fat with 140-180g a day. You don't have to be too strict about it; only you can be the judge of what works for you. If you've been strength training 2-3 times a week and haven't seen more muscle or definition, kick up the protein count until you can find a right balance.

There's plenty of sources of protein without having to go into protein drinks (though it's the easiest way). Chicken and tuna is by far my fastest way to getting my protein count.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If this is something that is important to you, I implore you to do your own research. Make sure to look for respected, peer reviewed scientific studies, you can find easy to understand write ups for these all over the internet. I am no expert, just someone who has read quite a bit for myself and made my own choices based on it. Try to read some from both sides of the argument, because there is almost always at least one study for both views. Don't just trust the opinions of random people on the internet , myself included.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Tuna, chicken, steak, and protein powder will get you there and more. You need it to keep your muscles from melting off in your effort to lose weight. You need to keep your mucles so that they will help burn the fat. You burn the muscle off and it's harder to lose the fat.

From what I have read on here all you need is a calorie deficit. Mfp has me at 60g... I dont get it im sorry :(

why does so much more protein help keep muscles?

A calorie deficit will cause you to lose weight. The goal is to lose fat not muscle. You want definition I'd imagine. The rule many go by is 1g of protein per lean pound of your current weight. Body builders often shoot for 200-450g a day but that's probably way more than needed. Your body will only use what it requires so unless you have severe health concerns you need not worry about having too much protein on a daily basis.

What I don't understand is why isn't 60-70g enough? Why is body weight? Like I said I read many places (not body building sites) that you don't need that much. Will I break down muscle with only 60-70g?
    I've seen that you should get from 1/2 your body weight to all your body weight (I weigh 150, so I aim for 75-150 grams a day) This seems reasonable to me rather than filling your whole diet up trying to get so much!
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Protein doesn't build muscle. Exercise does. And it's a misnomer that you must get it from meat sources.. lots of vegans out there who are well-built athletes.
    Just because someone is Vegan doesn't mean they don't get protein. There are a lot of non meat proteins!

Keep in mind that protein from vegetable sources is less bioavailable than protein from meat & dairy. This is not to say that you can't follow a vegan diet, but you should probably increase your protein intake by 25-30% to make up for the lack of bioavailability.
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What you've read is right. everything else is myth that people keep regurgitating

I'd love for you to post your credible sources...

Eat to Live by Dr Fuhrman, list several medical studies and "Credible sources" But some documentaries readily available for your viewing pleasure on netflix also state the same thing. Dying for a cure, forks over knives, food matters, Fat sick and nearly dead. However I'm guessing no matter what "credible sources" I posted I don't feel you'd believe them.

And to be clear I did not say you don't need protein you do. It's very important, all I said was you don't need to eat your body weight

So the beliefs of me and my "sources" is, you do not need to eat your body weight in protein and it does NOT need to come from animal products, in fact it's much healthier for you if it doesn't.
  • Getefix
    Getefix Posts: 1
    Options

Keep in mind that protein from vegetable sources is less bioavailable than protein from meat & dairy. This is not to say that you can't follow a vegan diet, but you should probably increase your protein intake by 25-30% to make up for the lack of bioavailability.
    Because animal proteins are complete proteins? It's been widely accepted for a long time that it's not required to eat complete proteins, even though soy itself is a complete protein.

I've been a vegan for two years and I haven't noticed a change at all in my ability to gain muscle mass or strength. Before I was vegan I ate streak and chicken all the time and counted grams of protein every day. Now, aside from ensuring I drink a protein shake after every workout, I don't worry about counting. If something looks healthy, I'll eat it.I will admit that I've always been slender and gaining muscle or fat is difficult, regardless of what I eat.

Just wanted to add my two cents. If you're worried about seeing your abs, exercise more and cut out unhealthy food (simple carbs and alcohol). Having an extra protein shake every day will not make you more lean unless you use it to replace a less healthy meal/ snack.