Basic staple foods...

Options
Help me out with some healthy staple foods. I love all foods, veggies, meat, fruits, beans, dairy, ect. I just need a jump start to a healthy grocery shopping list. I want to get into a leaner meaner diet. Completely processed food free. What are some suggestions?

Replies

• mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ok, some things I have in my cupboard:

- dried bean, pulses etc, NOT canned (too much salt)
    - pasta
    - rice
    - spices
    - meat free sausage mix (the only processed type food I have in the cupboard)
    - canned tomatoes

I think you can eat healthier if you plan ahead. Bit like logging your food on here, if you plan the meals for the week you might find it easier to shop...and spend less money (now I need to follow my own advice!)

Hope that helps!
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump! I am planning my next two weeks and am looking for ideas as well!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Apples, salad greens, baby carrots, soy/almond/cow milk, eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, low-fat cheese of your choice ex feta cheese, during winter I like frozen greens, spinach, kale, corn, peas, broccoli, zucchini, mixed vegetables, and frozen fruit like strawberries, blueberries and cherries. Potatoes: yukon red or sweet, onions, squash, tomatoes etc
    Brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, barley, canned tomatoes, beans( black, pinto, cannelini, navy, kidney), canned tuna, olive oil and different types of vinegars to make own vinaigrettes, dijon mustard, any condiments you like (soy sauce, hummus, peanut butter etc)
    If you like bread get fresh baked. Cereal with high fiber, oatmeal, healthy granola bars , popcorn, nuts all kinds sunflower seeds and don't forget all the herbs and spices! These make food taste good. Now not sure what sugar you like. I use stevia.
    Of course, all the lean meats and fish you like.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I could use some idea too. :)

- oatmeal
    - two types of fruit (for breakfast and lunch)
    - whole wheat bread
    - sandwich filling (lunch meat or natural pb)

For dinners I would get some sort of meat or fish (planning 4 oz per meal), steamer bags of mixed vegetables, and sweet potatoes.
  • brooke4fitness
    brooke4fitness Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been adjusting my diet to be healthier too. Some of my staples now:
    yogurt
    baby spinach
    veggies for stir fry with eggs, or pasta, or rice
    almond milk (comes in chocolate too)
    oats for oatmeal
    almonds
    extra virgin olive oil
    tortilla wraps (high fiber multi-grain ones)
    low cal-high fiber cereal like Kashi go lean
    low salt crackers
    smoked salmon
    all types of berries
    canned pumpkin (great in oatmeal with cinnamon & brown sugar, tastes like pumpkin pie!)
    variety of fresh fruits
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I keep my pantry stocked with:

wild rice/brown rice blends (I really like the lundberg brand)
    quinoa
    bulgar
    sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds and tahini
    beans of various types - garbonzo, black, pinto, cranberry
    whole wheat flour
    nut butters
    olive, sesame, sunflower, grape seed, and peanut oils
    no salt added canned tomatoes

In the fridge or fruit basket I have:

seasonal fruit, right now it's apples and pears, some citrus
    onions
    potatoes
    garlic
    lettuce
    various herbs

In the freezer I always have a good selection of frozen berries and vegetables. I buy local meat (mostly poultry and pork, some beef) in bulk when it's on sale and freeze that too.

There's lots of 'crap' foods in my pantry as well, I just don't cook them more than once or twice a week. These foods include couscous, vigo yellow rice, whole wheat pasta, even boxes of mac n cheese and a can or two of ravioli. I'm only human and I can't make everything all the time! I rely heavily on pre-made breads and wraps, though I prefer to make my own. A good selection of dried herbs and spices is also worthwhile.
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to mentally go through my refrigerator right now. I think these are the ones I use most often:

carrots
    grapes
    pears/apples
    banana
    broccoli slaw
    lettuce
    cucumbers
    onions

yogurt
    pudding
    light salad dressing
    egg beaters

fish
    chicken
    canned tuna

oatmeal
    peanut butter
    various frozen vegetables
    spaghetti
    canned crushed tomatoes
    rotel
    cream of chicken/celery/etc soup (lowest fat possible)

diet coke (for cooking chicken in slow cooker)
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    - Apples, oranges, and bananas.
    - Walnuts and cashews (covered in dark chocolate sometimes, it really depends)
    - Peanut butter & jelly sandwich with reduced sugar jelly.
    - Chicken!
    - Lean beef
    - Pickles
    - Romaine lettuce
    - Steamfresh veggies like corn and green beans
    - Potatoes, usually red-skinned
  • sweetyourock
    sweetyourock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My Favorite things to have on hand...
    Lots of veggies: spinach, leafy greens, bell peppers, onions, zucchini, squash, mushrooms (esp. portobello), carrots, tomatoes, sweet potatoes. asparagus, broccoli the list goes on and on (and depends on what is in season)
    Lots of lean meats: fish (esp salmon), chicken, ground turkey etc
    Other sources of protein: eggs or egg whites, nuts (almonds, pine nuts, pistachios etc.) and beans (lentils, black eyed peas, pinto beans, black beans, chickpeas etc. etc.)
    Good Carbs: whole wheat pastas, whole wheat/whole grain bread and pitas, tortillas etc. and brown rice
    Fruit: berries, bananas, grapes, pears, apples, grapefruit, oranges, lemons and limes (to add flavor to dishes)
    Honey
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Low sodium soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar (and other things you might use in sauces, marinades or dressings)
    Lots of herbs and spices for flavor