Better than WW online...

Options
I like this site more then WW online. Less flash to muddle through. Just get to it and go!
I also like that I can set settings to monitor cholesterol etc. Good stuff.

My exercise choices are barefoot running, kettle bells, clubs and body strength exercise.
After 20 years in conventional gyms, I've finally given Eastern strength training a shot and never
looked back.

Looking forward to growing with you all. Well, shrinking actually :)

Replies

• xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Barefoot running? Ow? I'll be the first to proclaim the wish to never wear shoes anywhere, but unless barefoot running doesn't mean what it's called, ow. Where do you run that you don't get glass and rocks in your feet?

Also, welcome! :D
  • lisseth82
    Options
    Do you find yourself losing more counting calories or counting points? I follow weight watchers system but log my workouts through here. For some reason the WW points I lose faster? Not sure what's behind their science.
  • dkvote
    dkvote Posts: 58
    Options
    Welcome! I have to ask about "barefoot running"? Add me if you like, I love new friends who are motivated and supportive and my diary is open to friends! Diana
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't have faith in how this website can help me and he would much rather I joined WW. So glad to see this post :)
    I've used WW online before and it wasn't all that effective for me in actually losing weight. But I find the community here is so encouraging and is probably half of my strength in using this website. Woo! Go MFP-ers!
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    This site is way better
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I joined fatsecret.com before... I like this site better too :)
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    this has been so much more successful for me than weight watchers.
  • mell4now
    mell4now Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been with this site since June or July and lost 15 lbs. I joined weight watchers last week and went down another 2 lbs after a month long plateau... One thing I did notice is that when I dual track, my 31 points seem to run out a lot quicker then my 1400 calories do!! (((sigh))) I guess WW really has a thing against pasta!!!

But all in all this website is awesome... At first I was dissapointed to learn that my new weight watchers membership didnt allow access to their website, but now Im happy because just track my food here( like I have been doing) and use a "generic points calculator" from some independant site to calculate my WW points using the nutritional info and reports from here. and its all FREE!!

Does the WW website have a food database?

Best of luck in your weightloss journey!!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Don't you have to pay to use the WW site?
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    heh, it isn't REALLY barefoot running. It's a shoe with 5 toes and a thin sole so that when you run, your foot strike is on the balls of your feet which is natural vs the heel which is where most people develop intense discomfort in the shins and knees and perhaps injury as well. It feels absolutely barefoot, which is amazing! Even when running on pavement. Our bodies naturally run on the balls of our feet in a sprint, the high heel of "shoes" affects the alignment of the spine, knee, and neck during a run. even how the arms are moving. "Barefoot" is growing fast.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Komodo-Sport-Mens.htm

I wear these in the gym. They restored my natural sense of balance and once I got used to running/walking in them, that became much less painful too. For weight lifting and crossfit, good traction and balance is important. I can "feel" the ground and so know how my weigh is shifting and moving. Needs to be experienced, IMO.
  • NPetrakis
    Options
    $14 a month
  • NPetrakis
    Options
    WW has an alien formula to me. Comparing this site if I'm eating the same foods and under shoot my calories by 500 a day to allow for about 1lb a week of loss, WW has me exceeding points or juuuust making them. I dont know what a "point" is, but i do understand calories.

Note: 3500 calories is the energy needed to form 1lb of fat for the majority of people. So if you undershoot 500 a day, 7x500, you lose 1lb a week.

There are other factors, like food fat content sugars and carbs that contribute to the metabolism and utilization ( efficiency ) of foods in our digestion. Poor utilization results in fats. So for some of us, just improving our digestive enzymes will "get you over a hump" in your weight loss. Plain unpasteurized regular ( my preference is Greek ) yogurt, 1-2 times a day will add good digestive enzymes.
  • NPetrakis
    Options
    I attended meetings at WW when I began my journey 4 years ago. I was 315 lbs. The environment is positive and the support from other people is so motivating. Sometimes fat = lonely, even when surrounded by loved ones. I did lose weight there, but the system, for me, was too faddish. If they abandoned "points" and taught calorie management, people would just learn the system and leave. Just my opinion. I like calling a spade a spade. This site does that, IMHO.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm cheap. I won't pay $14 for WW to do essentially the same thing this site does for free, except with points. Bah.
  • NPetrakis
    Options
    bingo

and while WW tells you how many points you're getting it doesn't give protein, carbs, cholesterol, etc.
    That's a weakness in helping people maintain good nutrition. We need all of that stuff in balance and
    even a heavy person can be properly nourished if they're attentive to their intake.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i lost my weight with w.w.. i attended the meetings. i joined mfp so that i could log in my food. once i became lifetime, etools wasn't free. the support here is great. i'm losting on both sites
  • NPetrakis
    Options
    I thought their etools became free along with the office meetings once you hit goal. I guess not.
    Oh well, I like it here regardless.
  • yvekay
    yvekay Posts: 1
    Options
    can u help me post, new 2 this n don't understand how i can comment, post, or anything...thank u
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    first, I like your profile pic. second, those shoes look very interesting. I started reading about them and plan to read more later. One question...I have a wide foot...do the shoes accommodate wide feet (inasmuch as I didn't see wide sizes on the pages I looked at). finally, this site is WAY better than WW IMO. I did WW on-line earlier this year. It was effective for me mostly because I was committed to eating better...but not because I was logging anything or trying to eat all of my points.
  • NPetrakis
    Options
    The profile pic is a tall pitcher of Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I can't claim it as my own though, I got it from their site.

The shoes are great. They do accommodate a wider foot. It's in their descriptions and also they have merchants around the country where you can go and be sized live. I bought my first pair online by following their sizing guide and it worked fine. They're machine washable and air dry, which is 10 thumbs up over my last pair of cross trainers which reeked of death gone bad.

Running walking weight lifting, feels more natural. Kinda like trying to write a letter wearing an oven mitt and just taking it off. I will not go back to shoes.