any police officers

Options
Hello, I am trying out for the Sheriffs dept and looking for support. i would like to know about the PT test.

Replies

• Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It's different for every state.. You should be able to get specifics if you contact them directly.

However, in Maryland it's at least running, sit-ups, sit and reach, and benching. Sometimes there's shuttling, push-ups..

Find out for sure and work your way up.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Different departments have different pt tests and requirements. You should probably just contact the department you are applying for.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    What they said.

Round these parts its a 1.5 mile run, dummy drag, push up, sit ups, obstacle course. All timed
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • ceyuh
    ceyuh Posts: 34
    Options
    Many states use some--or all-- of the Cooper Institute Fitness Standards:

1.5 Mile Run (timed)
    Push Ups
    Sit Ups (timed)
    Bench Press
    Sit and Reach
    Vertical Leap
    300 Meter Run (timed)

Check with your state for exact requirements, and good luck!
  • twowheelhooligan
    Options
    Many states use some--or all-- of the Cooper Institute Fitness Standards:

1.5 Mile Run (timed)
    Push Ups
    Sit Ups (timed)
    Bench Press
    Sit and Reach
    Vertical Leap
    300 Meter Run (timed)

Check with your state for exact requirements, and good luck!

For agency in my area:

1.5 mi - 14:30 or less

push-ups - minimum 15 or bench 1/2 body weight 15 times in 1 minute

sit-ups - minimum 25 in a minute, more is better.

sit-n-reach - there is a flexibility number that I don't recall. If one can get within 3-4 inches of touching toes, they're good.

Trigger squeeze - On a double-action auto, trigger squeeze 20times with each hand(not timed!)

Many Fire Dept's will incorporate body drags, and it would make sense for Police as well!! I would STRONGLY urge a person applying to look at the requirements for the specific agency proctoring the test. Secondly, find the most strict and exceed the standards by 25% in practice to build a buffer. don't do just the minimum, EXCEED it!

Best of luck!!

2-wheel
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I work at a prison. It was running, going up stairs with a weighted vest, other stuff - but the hardest was the dummy drag. All the other stuff was pretty easy.