Question about big toe pain

Options
I've recently began jogging & incline training on the treadmill as part of my exercise routine. Now I'm having pain in my big toes. Any thoughts on what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance!:smile:

Replies

• impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    possible in grown toe nails? I had to have both of mine fixed

Possibly shoes are too small / old = not enough support

Could be any number of things
  • darbym7
    darbym7 Posts: 61
    Options
    i have this same problem! my boyfriend says i have 'runner feet.' i think its my toe nails, but i also need new shoes though so, i have no idea
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    the pain is from ingrown toenails.... this is serious if they become infected... take care of those feet my friend... but most importantly have those ingrown toenails pulled out and cut..... i beg of u....:smile:
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but I'm 100% sure its not in grown toenails as I've had them before. The pain runs along the top of my toes, sort of in the joints. Maybe it's because I need new/more supportive shoes. Thanks for the replies.
  • Celiamariec
    Options
    Do your toes angle outwards? Could be a bunion. If the shoe is too short, or squeezing your toes, it could cause a bunion. I highly suggest new shoes. I bought my Nikes from Footlocker, and they are the most comfy shoe ever! I love the Shox. :)
  • Gary1977
    Options
    Do your toes angle outwards? Could be a bunion. If the shoe is too short, or squeezing your toes, it could cause a bunion. I highly suggest new shoes. I bought my Nikes from Footlocker, and they are the most comfy shoe ever! I love the Shox. :)

Thanks! I've looked at a pair of Shox online @ eastbay. I'm probably going to get them when I get paid on Monday:flowerforyou:
  • Celiamariec
    Options
    I would suggest a decent shoe store to be sized properly. All brands run a little different. It's best to get canvas with not such a pointy toe. :) I seriously stopped wearing my dress pants just so I can wear my Shox instead of other shoes. Lol
  • Gary1977
    Options
    Any more ideas?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Gout? Build up of uric acid, commonly affecting big toes of men.

Do you take a lot of fish oil? Some fish oils contain anchovy oil, a contributor to gout. Are you a new exerciser? Believe it or not, too much too soon can contribute as well.

If it is gout, fortunately you can get a prescription that will relieve the pain fairly quickly.

blessings.
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i'd like to know also! i get pains on my big toe when i jog sometimes too!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    First it's probably your shoes. 2nd because you're running on an incline your toe bends at a more acute angle and you're also leaning forward slightly more than if you were running on a flat plane. Try running on a flat plane and see if the pain is less or subsides. If it does then you know what's causing it.
  • katierose90
    Options
    I have those too, If you go to a running store, they have insoles that can help. Also if you are going hardcore, you might have stress fractures in your toe bones.. It could also be a muscle thing because you do not run correct.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My joints are slightly hyper-mobile, sometimes while running, or maybe walking at work, I'll scruntch up my toe while turning and slide my toe partially out of joint. Even after putting it back in place it will continue to cause me pain for the rest of the day, but the pain goes away after a good nights sleep. Shoes are probably your best bet, I tend to have less problems when wearing flats as compared to heals, or the toning shoes I wore for a while.
  • yadicarter
    Options
    Gout? Build up of uric acid, commonly affecting big toes of men.

Do you take a lot of fish oil? Some fish oils contain anchovy oil, a contributor to gout. Are you a new exerciser? Believe it or not, too much too soon can contribute as well.

If it is gout, fortunately you can get a prescription that will relieve the pain fairly quickly.

blessings.

I tend to agree with this reply. If you eat too much purine, which is in red meats amongst other things you could have high uric acid level, which can contribute to pain in joints including big toe, elbows and knees. Water, and even black cherry extract can be beneficial but if severe then a prescription will work quickly as she stated.