Is there a certain type of protein to get for toning up/gett

Options
So I feel like everywhere I go people tell me different things....oh this protein does this and that protein does that. I have about 5 and half pounds to lose to get to my goal weight so a lot of what I am trying to do is just tone up. What is a good protein any of you would suggest to help me with that? I took Wheybolic from GNC and they told me to to 1 scoop instead of the serving size of 3, after my workouts. Any advice is welcome!!! Thank you :)

Replies

• Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    So I feel like everywhere I go people tell me different things....oh this protein does this and that protein does that. I have about 5 and half pounds to lose to get to my goal weight so a lot of what I am trying to do is just tone up. What is a good protein any of you would suggest to help me with that? I took Wheybolic from GNC and they told me to to 1 scoop instead of the serving size of 3, after my workouts. Any advice is welcome!!! Thank you :)

what kind of workout are you doing now? "toning" is not really a physical condition. most people refer to being "toned" as the visible muscle definition, which, as a person loses more fat, is more prone to display.
    Muscle definition comes by way of strength training. females will not get "bulked" up unless they also take some sort of hormonal or steroidal substances that artificially enhance the muscle tissue.
    do you have a maintainence plan for your nutrition after you reach your goal weight?
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    There is nothing special about protein powders. The big reasons for taking protein powders:

1. Convenience
    2. To make your for lack of protein in your diet.

To lose weight, you have to be in a calorie deficit.
  • MarineWifey09
    Options
    I try to make my workout routine not a routine at all so I am constantly shocking my body. I do different types of cardio pretty much daily one day power walking, one day jogging, zumba another day, cycling, hiking, I am always trying to change it. Then 2-3 days a week I do strength - one day with my trainer and then I take 2 sculpting/strength training classes. So in essence I am trying to get my body looking toned since I do not have much more weight to lose - mostly just need to tone. I am also following my calorie plan.
  • Gonzoxx
    Gonzoxx Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi, well if you are trying to lose weight i wouldn't recommend you a wheight gainer, better get a soy protein powder cause it has less grams from fat and it's better for your goal. But remember that the maximum grams of protein you consume must not get over 1 gram per pound. So watch the you number of proteins consumed. Hope my answer would be usefull for you.
  • MarineWifey09
    Options
    Hi, well if you are trying to lose weight i wouldn't recommend you a wheight gainer, better get a soy protein powder cause it has less grams from fat and it's better for your goal. But remember that the maximum grams of protein you consume must not get over 1 gram per pound. So watch the you number of proteins consumed. Hope my answer would be usefull for you.

That was definitely helpful! Thank you!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Yes there is, it's called 'calorie deficit' (only teasing)
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Count and cut calories, exercise and you will lose in no time! Make sure to weight training-this will tone you up.
    Eat lean meets like turkey or chicken breast, eat lots of fish-it has great protein and essentials oils that are really good for you health and body/brain function (some fish is better than other like salmon is better than tuna), so just do little research on best meet to eat :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    There is nothing special about protein powders. The big reasons for taking protein powders:

1. Convenience
    2. To make your for lack of protein in your diet.

To lose weight, you have to be in a calorie deficit.

^ /thread.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think most people use whey protein. Mine is EAS, 130 calories, 23 grams protien, 3 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fat.
  • MarineWifey09
    Options
    Lol I realize this was a silly question, but I'm always wanting to learn more about health and fitness especially losing weight and getting more toned.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    "getting toned" is kind of a myth. What you want is to lose body fat, and retain muscle shape and/or gain muscle definition. And yes, eating excess protien helps this. It helps preserve your muscle which other wise might be lost along with the fat (some will be anyway). You should be getting 1 gram of protien for every pound of lean body mass, probably 100ish grams (just a guess). Protein shakes are easy, convenient ways to get this protien. You can mix them with water, milk or even coffee. I put them in my coffee when I'm feeling too lazy to eat breakfast.