Eating with a cold

Options
I woke up full of cold today.. my mum always used to say 'feed a cold, starve a fever'.. (think I've got that right way around) , but its my weigh-in tomorrow so supposed to be in minimum cals, no carbs and loads of water so I'm at lightest for tomorrow.

what foods are meant to be good for colds that are low carb which won't cause me to bloat or have too much weight? (if haven't been to bathroom before weigh-in).. I'm only going like once every 3 days since I've cut out bread, pasta, and reduced potatoes and rice to once a week.

I had a 2 hr workout planned too before weigh-in, but that may not happen as I can't stop sneezing my head off at minute but can't go back to bed until the guy has delivered my mobility scooter (it went for a annual service) and will have my dog to take out again later, before I can crash in bed for rest of day!

Replies

• AislingD
    Options
    Hey, i normally make chicken noodle soup without the noodles (also doing low carbs) I add some poached chicken to a litre of low sodium chicken stock, throw in some finely chopped ginger, a chopped chilli pepper, chopped shallot onion and a small amount of sweetcorn and black pepper to taste. Let it simmer for bout 10-15min. Its really good! :) Hope that helps
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    that sounds nice!... might have to change a few ingredients as don't have ginger and chilli in! .. I'll get some when I do my next shop though! .. thanks! :happy:
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should be worrying about calories when you're sick. I just got over a cold, and I didn't track, just used it as an opportunity to track how my body was feeling - eat what I want when I'm hungry, and stop when I'm satisfied. I think you also burn more calories when your sick - your body is working hard to fight the infection - so if you're hungry, you should eat. Try to eat foods and calories that also have a lot of liquid in them - soup, juice, tea with raw honey and lemon.

I made this (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chicken-soup-recipe/index.html) when I was sick and it was the most delicious thing I've ever had. It takes some time, but well worth it. And bone broth is supposed to be all kinds of good for you. I got over my cold very quickly :) I did 2/3 the recipe with only 2 chickens because I didn't have a large enough pot. I saved some of the chicken meat, shredded it and divided it into single cup containers and put them in the freezer. Great for adding to salads, stir-fries, or just snacking on. I think I'm actually going to make it again this weekend :)

Hope you feel better.
  • kassandra81
    Options
    I am just getting over a double ear infection, strep throat, and a cold. I did not count calories, and just tried to make myself feel better. I made chicken noodle soup, reduced sodium and almost lived on just that for a few days. With some oatmeal cooked with mixed berries, egg whites, other easy to swallow stuff. Just feel better first then worry about getting back on track. :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've always heard feed a cold starve the flu. I generally drink hot lemon water with some honey when I'm feeling under the weather and load up on the zinc. Also, anything with garlic. There are studies* that actually do show that chicken noodle soup actually is a wonder food when you're sick because the mixture of protein, veggies, and carbs is about perfect. My step-father was a big fan of making me (blech) whiskey tea when I was sick.

* No, I do not have any study documentation, I read it like 10 years ago and am too lazy to go looking for a source to support my point.
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    As everyone said liquids are most important. Soups and anything easy to eat. You are sick so your body needs energy. Make sure your soups are nutrient rich. And also, LIGHT exercise. Exercise can help the phlem come out but too much will make you weak. Maybe keep it to walking leisurely for 20-30 mins.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    well.. walking is out... but managed my exercise session this morning as I was awake anyway and had stopped sneezing yesterday.

I got weighed for my weigh-in and was thrilled to find I'm 11st 3 (157lbs).. so only 1 lb loss since last weigh-in but I've had TOTM inbetween too so 4lbs water went on and 5lb came off... so thats good (for me).. usually more goes on and not all of it comes off, but my water retention has really improved since gone low carb.

Thanks for the advice guys :happy:
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should be worrying about calories when you're sick. I just got over a cold, and I didn't track, just used it as an opportunity to track how my body was feeling - eat what I want when I'm hungry, and stop when I'm satisfied. I think you also burn more calories when your sick - your body is working hard to fight the infection - so if you're hungry, you should eat. Try to eat foods and calories that also have a lot of liquid in them - soup, juice, tea with raw honey and lemon.

I made this (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chicken-soup-recipe/index.html) when I was sick and it was the most delicious thing I've ever had. It takes some time, but well worth it. And bone broth is supposed to be all kinds of good for you. I got over my cold very quickly :) I did 2/3 the recipe with only 2 chickens because I didn't have a large enough pot. I saved some of the chicken meat, shredded it and divided it into single cup containers and put them in the freezer. Great for adding to salads, stir-fries, or just snacking on. I think I'm actually going to make it again this weekend :)

Hope you feel better.

this! your body needs whatever it wants to help you feel better! i was sick a few weeks ago and pretty much ate nothing but crackers and shredded wheat and i still lost weight.