MP Max Elle Protein Supplement

Is anybody using protein shakes as a food replacement or healthy snack? What is your opinion on them as I have had plenty of different views. Do you think that they work? I would like to reduce my bmi whichi is currently at 26. I am also a vegetarian and feel tierd sometimes the shake has given me more energy! They contain 231 calories each.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Protein supplements are just that: protein. Are you having an issue hitting your recommended protein intake? If so, use protein supplements.

Most whey proteins are a very good source (believe it has to do with aa profile and bioavailability but I'll welcome a correction on that if I'm wrong). It is inexpensive relative to a food source of protein.

But in the end, they are not necessary beyond their contribution to your total protein intake and they certainly do not induce weight loss. Hopefully this clears things up.

EDIT: I should add-- they are delicious and serve as a good snack, but it's important to understand the function it serves so you don't go into it thinking it's a weight loss supplement or a magical muscle formula.
  • denzd
    denzd Posts: 4
    Thanks that is really helpful. I will reduce to 1 per day and only when I am exercising extensively.
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    I use many...try 1/2 a serving or a zero carb one that will help alot. I have also tried the Trader Joe's Designer Protein shake...but be careful, it would be a meal replacement ...
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    i use PHD Diet Whey as a protein supplement on days when I feel a little low. A scoop is about 100 cals. It is NOT a meal replacement really though, I have it as a snack or a dessert. I sometimes have it mixed in with oatmeal for breakfast, or mixed with greek yoghurt. If you search online you can find tonnes of reciped using protein powder. You can make smoothies, bars, cakes breakfasty stuff.
  • Hi there
    Depending on how strict a vegetarian you are, many of the whey powders aren't vegetarian since they use animal rennet to make it. I wouldn't use whey powder unless I was 100% sure it was veggie. The other alternative is soy protein isolate powder which you can get pretty easily from health food shops or over the internet. I know some people have concerns about eating soy but I guess you have to do your research and decide what you're happy with. I make my own shakes - dead easy and you know exactly what's in them - I use 1 scoop of the isolate powder, 200 mls soya milk, zest of a lemon, splenda sweetener and a dash of vanilla essence. Bulk up with 50g plain tofu if you want to be really filling., quick whizz in the blender and its ready This tastes exactly like lemon cheesecake and I often have it as a desset substitute. You could also use frozen fruit , a few blueberries are a good option.
    Good luck
  • Oh and good luck with your goal, I'm also about to hit 40 in January so I'm pretty much on the same mission.....Here's hoping it doesn't hurt!