getting hungry :(

Options
hi everyone!

MFP was working great for me for the first 12 weeks or so. however, recently i've been having trouble balancing out how many calories i eat in a day with how much i work out. i feel like i'm always hungry :( although i've been eating some rather unhealthy things (pizza, chinese), i'm mixing this in with healthy things (plain yogurt, mixed greens). it's difficult to eliminate unhealthy things because i'm stuck on a dorm dining plan that i'm forced to use.

i don't drink anything sugary - just at least 4 cups of water a day, and doing my best to drink more. i'm eating half a plate of salad (mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, a bit of cottage cheese), a quarter plate of the healthiest protein available, and a quarter plate of carbs, sometimes a ~100 calorie dessert afterward. i'm just not feeling full, and it's frustrating, because i used to feel full.

i started off running 1 minute on, 1 minute off for 20 minutes...and am now running 60 minutes a time, 4 times a week. so i guess it's frustrating that i don't feel like i'm progressing anymore...

any suggestions on what i can do? should i be okay with being hungry, or should i try harder to adjust what kinds of foods i'm eating? thanks for your help!

Replies

• kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Are you describing your entire food for the day or just a sample meal? How many meals do you eat per day (or what might be more helpful to know - how many calories?)
  • e99angel
    e99angel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just a sample meal. Meals per day depends on whether or not I can wake up in time for breakfast - lately it's lunch around 12, dinner around 5, and an evening snack around 9 or 10 (usually, a cup of cheerios & half glass skim milk), sleeping at 3. food choices aren't always very healthy, unfortunately. So some days I'm eating 400-600 calorie meals, so this ends up being about 1300 calories, which seems okay. But yesterday for example, I had breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, another snack...and just didn't stop feeling hungry. Granted some of this was junk food & carbs, which I know doesn't help - but I ate over 2000 calories! Although conscious that I was going over the limit, I was hungry and didn't have healthier options available where I am...
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    things like pizza and other stuff with monosodium just makes you more hungry!
    1/always have eemrgency food with you! hard boiled egg, tuna., apple
    2/eat vegtable soup(better fresh but can also be frozen or from powder..) keeps you always full
    3/ every time you hungry dring water and get hout! have 15 min walk
  • voodoomoocow
    voodoomoocow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have you lost a significant amount of weight? You should reevaluate your goals if you have. A severely obese person can reduce their calorie intake to about 2 lbs a month, but if you are exercising and at a certain weight range, you should increase your daily allowance of calories and make sure to eat the calories back after exercising.

Try to avoid things with sodium, sugar, and bad carbs. Drink lots of water!

Also--get powdered protein
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    have you read your way through the "eat your exercise cals" threads? 20mins -> 60mins running 4xweek is a reasonably significant jump in exercise levels and your body might just be yelling for food.

re: the feeling full thing. get some bags of mixed nuts (unsalted, obs) & separate it into litle 25to35g bags. nuts **really** fill me up and, although they are quite high in cals, they are all good fats. almonds, walnuts, hazlenuts etc are all great, i think peanuts (which aren't really nuts anyway) are not recommended i think but they are better than pizza/chips.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I started eating a very big breakfast and that did the trick. Try that and see what happens
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am wondering whether you are eating "empty" calories ... some foods contain a lot of calories, but won't necessarily fill you up.

Is there a fridge you can use? I normally find that an apple or a low-GI tub of yoghurt helps when I am feeling very hungry.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Have you lost a significant amount of weight? You should reevaluate your goals if you have. A severely obese person can reduce their calorie intake to about 2 lbs a month, but if you are exercising and at a certain weight range, you should increase your daily allowance of calories and make sure to eat the calories back after exercising.

Try to avoid things with sodium, sugar, and bad carbs. Drink lots of water!

Also--get powdered protein

This^^ You have increased your exercise significantly and need to adjust your calories accordingly.
  • CocoNuttie
    Options
    I agree with having big breakfast. I was doing the same amount of running as u and couldn't stop snacking, hungry all time, my body was yelling for food. Now I have big bowl of porridge, chopped banana, cinnamon, a little salt and almond butter for breakfast. So you get fibre, protein, carbs and healthy fat in one hit. Its really filling and satisfying. Try!!