Any Vegans in the house?

Options
What do you eat?
I want to start next week...but not sure what to eat to stay healthy...
Is it true too much Soya is bad for you?

thanks

Replies

• PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Check out the recipes on oh she glows

She has great vegan recipes

Full disclosure : I am an omnivore - her food is just really tasty and happens to be vegan
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan but i have done a vegan diet before.. try cous cous.. lots of varieties of flavour and goes really nice with balsamic vinegar cherry tomatoes..

all you need is about 10 cherry tomatoes, a dash of olive oil, dash of balsamic vinegar, 2 cloves of garlic, a few sprigs of basil and leave them to cook covered in the oven until they go all squishy and lovely (about 15 mins)

serve with cous cous with all the juice and you've got yourself a very tasty meal
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    soya milk is brilliant as well as its full of protein which fills you up nicely.. porridge with soya milk is nice for breakfast :)
  • MitchFletcher
    Options
    Vegan here, yes there appear to be consequences to eating too much soy. "New studies suggest that eating large amounts of soys estrogen-mimicking compounds might reduce fertility in women, trigger early puberty and disrupt development of fetuses and children. I eat lots of legumes, green leafy veggies ie: spinach, kale etc and take whey protein as a supplement. Good luck to you.:smile:
  • voodoomoocow
    voodoomoocow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am not Vegan but I went to an art school which means I had to be very sensitive to it at all times! haha! I HATE vegan american food so I'd always make Indian food for them. A lot of Hindus are vegetarian or vegan so many recipes are absolutely delicious and totally vegan. I'd recommend you checking out vegetarian Indian food recipes. Most of them are already vegan, just be sure to avoid anything with paneer. I usually make Saag Paneer but I'd replace the paneer with bits of tofu. and don't use ghee!
  • sharonsue
    sharonsue Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, be careful with the soy. I am a woman and had many problems when eating tofu. I had read of some have issues eating processed tofu. I stopped eating it and the issues went away.

I heard you generally people could eat soy beans as the issues with soy come from the processing of soy. For me, that is not true. I cannot eat it, period.

Just do your research and be knowledgeable. Everyone is on the soy bandwagon and it is being touted as a wonderfood. Maybe it is not.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think soya isn't very good. eat other stuff like beans. look for india food - vageterian, tasty and not fat
    http://www.indianfoodforever.com/
  • aimuhlena
    Options
    I'm not VEGAN but recently decided to go down to lacto-ovo vegetarian. My biggest advice so far is to find a good cookbook or if you prefer a good recipe website (I prefer cookbooks!). Also, someone told me to embrace the fake meat and I would have to agree. Too much soy can be bad but like everything else moderation moderation. Legumes and leafy greens (and all the other veggies of course) should be the focus! Be careful not to go overboard with breads/pastas!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    "New studies suggest that eating large amounts of soys estrogen-mimicking compounds might reduce fertility in women,

New birth control? And all you have to do is eat soy? I'm in!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    www.vegweb.com for easy vegan recipes with reivew and everything. It is one of my favorites
  • PDXyogini
    Options
    Soy is safe to eat, although we certainly shouldn't rely entirely upon one plant-based protein source to meet all of our nutritional needs.

This article, co-written by Ginny Messina (@TheVeganRD) about soy foods and nutrition: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soymessina

Her blog, The Vegan RD, is also a great source of vegan nutrition information: http://www.theveganrd.com

VegWeb is a great source and I recommend checking out the Blogroll from Vegan MoFo (Vegan Month of Food): http://www.veganmofo.com/blogroll/

Bloggers from all over the world writing about food, a lot, for a month each year. Lots of great recipes, travel tips, etc.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    Regarding the soy thing, you have to eat truly massive amounts of soy before it becomes a problem. Like, every meal every day sort of massive. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, unless you find it's the only thing you're eating.

The reason many people on MFP worry about it is also related to the whole 'processed foods' as unhealthy thing. However, keep in mind that processed actually means altered in any way from the original form - including cutting or peeling. So, your mileage may vary, since it's a pretty vague definition.

Personally, I find tofu to be a versatile ingredient, and an excellent source of calcium and protein. But you should find your own comfort level.

I second vegweb.com as a good source of recipes. It's my go-to source whether vegan or non-vegan. Also, check the commentary for extra tips and healthier substitutions. Very helpful and delicious.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Soy shouldn't be an issue unless you have a thyroid problem, so no worries there.

Don't limit yourself to "rabbit food" - vegan food is so delicious, nutritious, and satisfying! I eat plenty of tofu, tempeh, seitan, and legumes for protein. Go to the farmer's market (or supermarket!) and explore all the colorful veggies and fruits. Look online for recipes (I like VeganYumYum and Oh She Glows) and serve them over couscous, brown rice or quinoa.

The world is your (vegan) oyster!
  • stimpackus
    stimpackus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi! I used to be Vegan, but have gone back to Omnivorous eating. I only eat meat a certain amount of times per week. The rest I stick in extra vegetables, seitan, bean curds or mock meats. My sister is also a member of this site and has been Vegan for 3 years, Vegetarian for 2 years before that. She has done courses in Vegan Nutrition and the like, so if you would like to talk to her feel free to let me know; and I will ask her if I can forward on her user name to you.

As for the soy debate, personally I limit it where possible as I don't want to become dependent on it. It is usually overly processed, so I stuck with everything as natural as I could. BUT of course I still allowed myself to have that treat from time to time.

Soy isn't necessarily bad for you as a whole. BUT non-organic soy beans are sometimes processed with "hexane" (feel free to look it up), which is a derivative of gasoline. Foods that don't tell me whether their soy is organic or not? I steer away from as it does have carcinogenic qualities.

Other than that, I see no harm in it. I was told originally by my Doctor to stay away from soy when I was diagnosed with pre-cancer of the breast. This was due to phytoestrogens in soy which supposedly "mimic" human estrogen. There is no correlation between soy estrogen and that found in humans specifically. Any conflicting stories are based on anecdotal evidence that may not have taken other dietary factors into account.

Everything in moderation. I always found that to be the key :)
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yes, be careful with the soy. I am a woman and had many problems when eating tofu. I had read of some have issues eating processed tofu. I stopped eating it and the issues went away.

I heard you generally people could eat soy beans as the issues with soy come from the processing of soy. For me, that is not true. I cannot eat it, period.

Just do your research and be knowledgeable. Everyone is on the soy bandwagon and it is being touted as a wonderfood. Maybe it is not.

Agreed. I became vegetarian about a year ago and relied heavily on soy based foods. Within 6 months I actually thought I was hitting early menopause, my cycle was so mucked up. Cut out the soy and 2 months later it's all back to normal. Scary stuff!
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Oh - I also wanted to say - Green leafy veg! Green leafy veg! Green leafy veg!
  • MelodyRF
    Options
    I'm a vegan! Go vegetables!
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I recently have started to eat 100% vegan almost everyday and I am making the transition. Have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for awhile and I have lactose intolerance issues that keep getting worse, so going vegan seemed like a good idea for me. For my meals I mainly eat beans, lentils, less processed soy items like tofu, edamame, and tempeh, nuts and nut butter, whole grains, fruits, and veggies. I do eat some processed soy as well, but limit my use of it and I use unsweetened almond milk most of the time in place of milk.

As long as you make healthy choices and carefully plan your meals to fit your nutritional needs, it can be done. Check out the fat free vegan blog for some yummy, healthy recipes:

blog.fatfreevegan.com

Hope this helps and good luck, you can do it.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Here!

Friend me and you can see my diary to see what I eat if you'd like to!

On a good-girl day, my menu looks something like this:

breakfast- oatmeal made with non-dairy milk and some nut butter

snack- fruit (usually a banana and maybe some applesauce)

lunch- whole grains mixed with beans and veggies with EVOO

snack- something crunchy like crackers or veggies

dinner- same as lunch, but with different beans and veggies usually

snack- varies daily
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Saving the planet one meal at a time!!! I love soy but keep in mind, buying organic is important if you live in the US