Nice people at the gym

Options
Mommawarrior
Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
I see tons of posts with topics like "Things you hate about people at the gym" etc.
Well I just thought that being negative never helps anyone and complaining does no good for anyone. HOWEVER, being positive and upbeat makes a world of difference in your life and the lives of those around you.
So, I thought I would share and encourage others to share GOOD experiences they have at the gym.

I work out at a gym on an army post and there are alot of really built guys in there. It could be a bit intimidating if it weren't for the fact that I haven't met any one yet that was rude or mean. When I need the 100 lbs weights that someone left on a machine taken off for me whoever I asked to do it (usually the closest guy) is happy to help and then offer their help anytime.
This morning I was working on a machine and not doing it the correct way and a guy who lifts about 300 pounds on the same machine (I had 10 pounds on it) came over and helped me get it right just cause he is nice like that. There is another guy who completely stopped his workout one day to show me some stuff even though his time was limited and it meant he wasn't gonna get to finish his workout. It is amazing to me how willing to help the guys are. And it isn't because I am some half naked hot chick they want to get with.

So, lets talk about what is great about the people at our gyms and not the things that irritate us, cause to be honest, the people you are talking about being rude and whatever are probably at home putting the same thing about you on some other website.

Replies

• kirstyjosephine
    Options
    I've been doing weight training consistently for almost a year and still occasionally struggle. A guy came up to me the other day whilst I was doing tricep pushdowns incorrectly and helped me. He also said I'm more than welcome to ask for assistance anytime (and not in a jerk kind of way).

It's nice!
  • drsteph01
    Options
    So nice to hear great things about fellow Soldiers! Thanks for sharing this positive note!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i do my best to be the nice guy at the gym. usually i help ppl out when they have the wrong form. i consistently see ppl using the rowing machine wrong, and i try and show them how to use it properly. also with some of the weight machine, like the bicep curl machine. you don't know how often i see someone using the machine with 80% shoulders.
  • slerickson9931
    Options
    I agree, posting negative things never help anyone. I sometimes will work out at our college gym and there are a wide range of people who go there, from high school students to retired folks, and everyone is usually very friendly. Especially the older people, most of them usually greet you with a smile and a hello. A lot of the men there are courteous as well, and if we both standing in line for the water fountain they will let me go ahead of them. I have not had a negative experience there yet.
  • Spedden
    Spedden Posts: 207
    Options
    What a great idea! There are lots of nice people at the Planet Fitness I use in Baltimore. We don't talk a lot, but we do say hello to all the familiar faces and joke about what's wrong with us for being there so early in the morning while the rest of the world is sleeping. Looking forward to seeing everyone's positive stories!
  • Saffa_NZ
    Saffa_NZ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have the most friendliest people here at my gym, they even offer to wash my back for me in the showers
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    So nice to hear great things about fellow Soldiers! Thanks for sharing this positive note!
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    Well said!! I do see some irritating people at the gym (the spinning instructor last night who SCREAMED "woo hoo" every 15 seconds-I did want to strangle her with her headset!!) but for the most part I've never met anyone who was mean. There was a lady who used to sing loudly and pose-I never saw her actually work out, but she mainly made me laugh!!

:happy:
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Have the most friendliest people here at my gym, they even offer to wash my back for me in the showers

I really wish I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read this. Now my sinuses are burnt. :laugh:
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I guess I am going to the wrong gym. Not that my gym isn't friendly, I am just invisible to all of the cliques (probably a good thing). It's nice to hear that others are really nice. :)

I have only been to the gym on base once, it is a bit of a drive. Maybe I will switch it up and go on the weekends.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    We work out at a YMCA close to our house......mostly old people and they're always sooo sweet! One old lady kept telling me she could tell I was losing weight. Found out she just had cataract surgery in both eyes, so she probably couldn't even see me!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Ummm going up to someone about their form isn't something nice to me. I thought people would think you're a jerk if you did that.
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I see tons of posts with topics like "Things you hate about people at the gym" etc.
    Well I just thought that being negative never helps anyone and complaining does no good for anyone. HOWEVER, being positive and upbeat makes a world of difference in your life and the lives of those around you.

Agreed!

I don't go to the gym, but went to a pole fitness class recently - I was so embarrassed as a newbie, but was made up when they all clapped when I nearly got one of the moves right (even though I fell off after!)!! It made it a much more enjoyable experience!
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My work schedule changes sometimes so for a long time, the only opportunity I had to go to the gym was late at night. While it wasn't very crowded (which was nice) the people who were there and the way they acted made me hate going to the gym. But now that I go in the morning, I don't know why, but the morning crowd is much more friendly! There are quite a few more people but I don't even mind that because it is very rare that I won't find someone willing to help me if I need it or just say hello. Great post :flowerforyou:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I work out at a gym on an army post and there are alot of really built guys in there. It could be a bit intimidating if it weren't for the fact that I haven't met any one yet that was rude or mean. When I need the 100 lbs weights that someone left on a machine taken off for me whoever I asked to do it (usually the closest guy) is happy to help and then offer their help anytime.

I want to work out HERE!!!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Ummm going up to someone about their form isn't something nice to me. I thought people would think you're a jerk if you did that.

I don't consider anyone a jerk who is trying to help me. I would much rather them come tell me I am doing it wrong and tell me the correct way than to see me doing it wrong and not care. I am working very hard at the weight lifting and will take any help I can get.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'll offer constructive advice if someone's form is way off to the point where a) It's might lead to injury or b) helping them will lead to faster gains.

I'll also offer to "spot" anyone doing a heavy lift if I'm one of the few guys in the area. Just so the person knows they can get a spot if they need it.

So while I don't really notice people being nice to me, I'll try to be that nice person in the gym.