To treat myself or not to treat myself?

Options
Hey Everyone!

I'm just 2wks into my new healthy lifestyle. Every now & then have the urge to treat myself.. but haven't as yet. I'm too stubborn to break the rules I've been following the past 2 weeks. What do people think? More likely to succeed with treats? or no?

=)

Replies

• cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good thing to factor in a treat so you dont go crazy and binge one day, just plan ahead and factor it in so you wont go over your daily allowance
  • amymaria91
    Options
    Treat yourself. I do now and then and most of the time can fit it into my calorie allowance anyway so it's not as bad as thought
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've treated myself every single day I've been on MFP (since April 10th). It hasn't slowed my success at all. I've just watched portion sizes and total calories, but there is not a single 'treat' food I've given up.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    What kind of treats? Food treats?? If so, I'd go with yes - in moderation. If a more personal treat - manicure, for example - I'd go with yes - when a mini goal is met - SV or NSV.

So, I guess from me the answer is yes. Life is fun. Make it that way.
  • tjm615
    tjm615 Posts: 11
    Options
    i treat myself daily. I just make sure i have the extra fat, cals, and carbs to do it.
  • JillM135
    Options
    I agree with cmiles! If you completely stay away from treats that you enjoy, you will binge one day, and maybe even give up on the lifestyle change completely. Factor it in, and make sure you still get your nutritious food in.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm just 2wks into my new healthy lifestyle.

I think the key word here is "Lifestyle". Are you going to go your whole life without enjoying treats? Only you can answer that. All I know is, I would never want to. And you don't have to, to lose weight and be healthy. Enjoy them as much as you like... just work them into your daily caloric allowance. If you want a little extra leeway with calories for a particular treat, simply include more exercise. Problem solved. :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else a 'Parks & Recreation' fan? This post made me think of 'Treat Yo'Self'. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBBAyWLX6dE&feature=related
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I treat myself daily :) Chocolate is my favourite, so I let myself have some each day - I just work it into my calorie allowance. I would like to reduce the amount I have, but I am doing this slowly. At first, the chocolate was a reward for a good day. Now that I'm a month and a half in, I am at the point where I am ready to start reducing my sugar intake (and I feel as if it will be a more sustainable change). If I feel deprived too quickly, I know I will just binge...

Hope this helps!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    There's an old saying - 'a little bit of what you fancy does you good'.......... as long as it's a little bit and not a huge amount, why not?!

I have one day a week when once I've weighed in for that week, I relax a bit and have a little treat, whether I lost, gained or maintained - I don't go overboard, but I do look forward to that little pleasure.

Others may not agree, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm still losing weight steadily without getting depressed because I've deprived myself totally of everything that I love.

Good luck on your journey, whatever you decide to do!
  • pmuscil
    Options
    Clothes, Fragrances, Massages, Mimosas, Fine Leather Goods.. Treat Yo' Self!
  • morgieohl
    Options
    wow! all amazing advice! thanks everyone! =D a treat once in a while wins the poll ! x
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I eat 8 chicken wings every Thursday. I've lost 97 pounds. Treat yourself
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself if you can without going overboard or back to your old eating habits.