Sorry....not here to offend or solicit

Options
Okay,

So I recently posted (and I mean recently about 1 minute ago) an announcement that I was holding an online benefit event to help support Breast Cancer Awareness and 2 out of the 3 posts are already gone.

I am not here to solicit products or offend anyone. I dont have a lot of money to spare and am constantly trying to find ways to help support with many different causes. When I found out that **** allows you to hold online events that donate a percentage of the earnings towards any benefit of your choosing I thought GREAT.

And honestly since I joined MFP, everyone has been very supportive and encouraging so I thought what better place to announce this event then here.

I am honestly baffled that the posts were taken off so quickly as they werent meant to offend and I am not trying to SOLICIT. Yes, it is a business and will make money but again....a percentage of all the money earned was to be donated.

Sorry if I offended anyone with this but....I was just looking for help.

Replies

• PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Sorry but it is against forum rules, even if it is meant in a good cause but allowing one and denying others would be unfair.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You are trying to solicit. You're not giving a link to a passionate cause and saying 'donate here, this cause is important because of xyz' you are saying 'please buy stuff from me, and part of the proceeds will be donated to xyz.' This is solicitation and advertising.
  • acorbett07
    Options
    I suppose I understand coming from that logic. Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone if I did.
  • acorbett07
    Options
    AGAIN,

I am not here to SOLICIT or to OFFEND!!!!

I am sorry I brought it up in the forums. I was unaware that it was against the policy and have APOLOGIZED more than once. I am not a heartless person who is soley out to make money.

I am decent human being, who if you really knew me, would never use a cause such as this to benefit only myself.

Once AGAIN, I AM SORRY and will be sure not to come to the Forums with topics such as this again.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Chill. Its ok you've apologised and everyone is ok with it.

I'm sure you are a very nice person.

TIm
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You clearly didn't do wrong intentionally, but regardless of someone's motives, the mods are pretty quick off the mark to remove things that breech forum rules - yours breached the soliciting rule, and from my personal opinion, I'd also say it was spam because you posted it three times, ansd used capitals in the subject heading.

Doubt anyone will hold it against you, so dont let that brush with the mods put you off making the most of the community here.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's not that big of a deal. It's like someone else said. It's against the rules which is not fair to others that have had their threads pulled for posting against the rules. That is all.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    There was one post in this thread, pointing out that by selling items, you were soliciting, no matter what you intend to do with the money.

Stop freaking out and acting like hundreds of people are attacking you. Most (if not all) don't care. You could have just pm'd a moderator with your question.
  • acorbett07
    Options
    I guess I should have read the forums rules before hand but didn't even think about due to the fact that it was meant to be more of a "fundraiser"

I am just quick to defend myself I suppose and don't take lightly to people not really knowing me and then telling what I was "really" trying to do.

LOL.....sigh....great way to start off the weekend huh?:drinker: :laugh:
  • acorbett07
    Options
    I am not mad at everyone or the mods for that matter, just one comment imparticular that struck a nerve.

Its done! ....sorry:flowerforyou:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Look up the definition of soliciting.
  • acorbett07
    Options
    Sigh....

I know....I understand. I am done.

Thank you
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Gotta have the last word, huh?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I did not previously make any assumptions or analyze your intent, just made a simple statement of fact based upon definitions. Since I'm now making the assumpiton that you're talking about my post I'll show you what I'm talking about (seeing as you seem to be getting very defensive without being attacked. If I wanted to attack you, I would have).

We're going to just ignore solicit #3 because I don't think you're a prostitute
    notice that the point 4 example is <solicit donations> (edit: which makes my former statement partially incorrect)
    so no, I wasn't attacking you, inferring intent, getting offended, or any thing else of the like

so·lic·it verb \sə-ˈli-sət\
    Definition of SOLICIT
    transitive verb
    1a : to make petition to : entreat b : to approach with a request or plea <solicited Congress for funding>
    2: to urge (as one's cause) strongly
    3a : to entice or lure especially into evil b : to proposition (someone) especially as or in the character of a prostitute
    4: to try to obtain by usually urgent requests or pleas <solicited donations>

ad·ver·tise verb \ˈad-vər-ˌtīz\
    ad·ver·tisedad·ver·tis·ing
    Definition of ADVERTISE
    transitive verb
    1: to make something known to : notify
    2a : to make publicly and generally known <advertising their readiness to make concessions> b : to announce publicly especially by a printed notice or a broadcast c : to call public attention to especially by emphasizing desirable qualities so as to arouse a desire to buy or patronize : promote
    intransitive verb
    : to issue or sponsor advertising <advertise for a secretary>

1spam noun \ˈspam\
    Definition of SPAM
    : unsolicited usually commercial e-mail sent to a large number of addresses
  • acorbett07
    Options
    Ok....Again,

I understand. I know. I am very aware.

I am now done!

Thank you

PS.
    Hope everyone has a great weekend. Truely...
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It's alright and it's over. I hope you have a great weekend too! :)
  • amandaraecook
    Options
    Why is everyone so angry here! Jeez...this negativity could have been left out of my day..
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone so angry here! Jeez...this negativity could have been left out of my day..

Why do you think anyone was angry? If you could have left this "negativity" out of your day, then you could have avoided the thread named "Sorry...not here to offend or solicit". Maybe you are just a troll looking to create some drama!
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Based on those definitions we are breaking the rules every time we post. There, I just did it. :yawn:
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Sorry - we know you meant well but unfortunately, we have to be very strict about disallowing solicitations on the forums, even for worthy causes. As you can imagine, there are a lot of people who would like to request donations through the site, or advertise their products and services. We have had to put the no solicitations rule in place to make sure the forums don't become full of such requests.

Hope you can understand why this rule is in place. Thanks for your understanding and hope you are enjoying MyFitnessPal.

Also, as a reminder, attacking or insulting other members is not allowed on the forums at any time, under any circumstance. If you disagree with someone, you must do so respectfully or you risk losing your posting privileges. Thanks for your cooperation.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!