Sugar intake

My daily target set by mfp is 25, however i find it so hard as even fruit comes out with high for sugar through the database!

Any tips?

Replies

• NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    I don't monitor it myself

1lb fat is 3500 calories, roughly.

To me, that's the metric with a bullseye on it.. If you don't eat processed foods, as in pre-packaged stuff, the sugars shouldn't be a problem. Sugar itself isn't bad. When it's ingested can affect digestion due to an insulin spike so read up on that and eat around it if you must have some "emergency chocolate"
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    i dont count fruit sugars in that target, only like sweets and stuff fruit sugar to me is fine xx
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    If you're counting sugar then you need to count fruit! Fruit is not magically sugar free!! It is has the same sugar found in cake... sugar is sugar. I'd keep it under 50g for health reasons, that is the doctor-recommended upper limit, but if you stay under your cals you will lose weight. If I had a lot of sugar and milk that day and go over by a couple grams I'm not too stressed
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member

To me, that's the metric with a bullseye on it.. If you don't eat processed foods, as in pre-packaged stuff, the sugars shouldn't be a problem. Sugar itself isn't bad. When it's ingested can affect digestion due to an insulin spike so read up on that and eat around it if you must have some "emergency chocolate"

Uhh, no it doesn't impair digestion. Also, worrying about insulin is pointless, because sugar isn't the only thing that elevates insulin.
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member

Uhh, no it doesn't impair digestion. Also, worrying about insulin is pointless, because sugar isn't the only thing that elevates insulin.

insulin affects utilization of protein. There's a difference between sugars bound to fibers such as fruits and refined sugars as in granular sugar. Sugars bound to fiber dont elicit as severe an insulin spike.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    I wouldn't worry too much. Theres good sugar as in fructose and not so good sugar as in refined white sugar.

Dont know that much about it but just concentrate on your calorie intake and you'll be fine

I love fruit and need it to keep my levels up and I agree if you eat a couple of apples your sugar allocation goes way doewn but thats not the same as spooning white granuated sugar in your mouth

Take it easy

Tim
  • krypt5

insulin affects utilization of protein. There's a difference between sugars bound to fibers such as fruits and refined sugars as in granular sugar. Sugars bound to fiber dont elicit as severe an insulin spike.

How is all that relevant? You did not disprove my earlier statement. You are beating around the bush with irrelevant details.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I reset my carbs higher to allow for more sugar.
  • Strelok2500
    Strelok2500 Posts: 12 Member
    The notion that sugar from natural sources are things you don't have to think about [as much] is myth or at least exaggerated. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM]
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    The notion that sugar from natural sources are things you don't have to think about [as much] is myth or at least exaggerated. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM]
    Ever heard of context and dosage, it's important. Water will actually kill you if you get too much. lol
  • krypt5

That my friend is the example of alarmism at its best.
  • interdzner36
    interdzner36 Posts: 1 Member
    Sugar does not imapir digestion, and in fact fruits such as apples, bananas, berries, etc. are actually really good for your system seeing as they have ahealthy does of fiber your digestion track NEEDS to stay regular.