Body Fat Percentage Calculator - Eye Opener

Options
I saw that Jamie Eason, a respected fitness model, posted a link in hopes of helping people get a better idea of what type of weight loss goals they should strive for.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php

I found it very interesting when I put in my own information. Apparently I am setting a goal weight for myself that translates to roughly 16% bodyfat. Don't get me wrong I would love to be down at that amount, it's just interesting to see that I might have to work a lot harder than anticipated to actually reach that goal.

I just thought I would pass this little tool along for those that might be interested in seeing if their weight goals are actually something realistic. In the end though it's all in how much effort we're willing to put in and how much determination we have - so those goals might not be so crazy :)

Happy Friday Everyone!

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try it. Enjoy your journey. :drinker: (water)
    I am 154 and 24.9 body fat.
    154 x 0.249 = 38.346 lbs of fat on me.
    Note, I almost fit into the 21-24% body fat goal for fit folks.
    I want to lose to 142 and maintain it.
    I will figure out that info and work on it.

Thanks again for the site! ;)
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of folks believe their body fat % is much lower than what it truly is.

I for example never expected that I could lose so much weight and maintain my muscle mass, I had/have a lot of cutting to do.
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    26% of me is fat! thanks for really useful tool

:smile:
  • kh0215
    kh0215 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    this really helped me!! thanks!
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    27% of me is fat ewwwww
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have realized that sometimes decreasing body fat percentage doesnt show directly in your weight. I have dropped a little over 3% in body fat but barely a pound. So wierd! I have had to cut down on my sugar intake drastically especially since I have a sweet tooth although I do eat it once in 2 weeks.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Really useful tool! thanks for sharing!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.

Side note: I wish everyone would focus on body fat percentages rather than overall weight. Scales are so misleading.
  • blueyeb
    blueyeb Posts: 85
    Options
    Thanks for that post, it was helpful. Now.... if I only knew my current body fat percentage.

Anyone know if the digital scales that measure body fat are accurate?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    OK I can put in my current weight and measurements, but I don't know how to see if my goals are realistic. I know what goal weight I am going for (sort of) but I don't know what my measurements would be at that weight...
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    10% body fat and 126 lean body mass for me. Thanks for sharing:)
  • MissyGorman2012
    Options
    I was shocked to discover that after losing 50 lbs a couple of years ago, I was still 40% body fat. It showed me how important the exercise portion was because some of that 50% was also muscle. :(
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    this is really interesting actually, i realized my goal weight was unrealistic based on my lean body mass...more proof to pay less attention to the scale and more attention to body fat percentages
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    my question is: how is height calculated? shouldnt it be? im a very tall girl, and after losing about 70 pounds, its difficult for me to understand that the final calculation of my remaining body fat is 43 pounds... im in the 'acceptable' category...
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I'll have to plug in all my numbers when I get home with my tape measure.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I don't want to make you guy depressed but that calculation is likely off by about 4-5%, too low.
  • BetterSexy
    Options
    Thank you for posting this... I have been wanting to get a better idea about this body fat principle.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link! This is really cool.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I knew my scale was wrong. It had me at 35% fat but using the calculations, I am 26.58%. The goal I picked awhile ago, to get to 135 works. 18% fat sounds like a good goal.