What is the best Gym Cardio?

Options
When I go to they gym i usually run for 20-25 minutes on the treadmill and use the stationary bike for 10-15 minutes. Is this the best use of my time? I will mix it up my playing squash or other activities outside.

Thoughts/suggestions/comments?

Replies

• nroesler
    nroesler Posts: 81
    Options
    When I go to they gym i usually run for 20-25 minutes on the treadmill and use the stationary bike for 10-15 minutes. Is this the best use of my time? I will mix it up my playing squash or other activities outside.

Thoughts/suggestions/comments?
  • sbar87
    sbar87 Posts: 2
    Options
    The cross trainer is always good to switch things up, and it burns more calories than the bike. I usually run for 30 mins, bike for 20 and cross trainer for 20 the 45 mins of weights! in fact i just did that about an hour ago :happy:

The rowing maching is awesome aswell!really works out your shoulders and arms!

have you tried spinning? absolutely barbaric! but worth it :laugh:
  • LinzyB24
    LinzyB24 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would recommend taking a Zumba class. It burns 500-700 calories an hour. Even if you only do it once a week, and use the treadmill the other 2 or 3 days, you can still tell a big difference. :smile:
  • llmgold11
    llmgold11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The cross trainer is always good to switch things up, and it burns more calories than the bike. I usually run for 30 mins, bike for 20 and cross trainer for 20 the 45 mins of weights! in fact i just did that about an hour ago :happy:

Spinning is like the greatest thing EVER! I'm totally in love with it. I usually hit the 545a class and bust a sweat before work...
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Running, elliptical, and spinning!! :bigsmile:
  • nroesler
    nroesler Posts: 81
    Options
    and Zumba would be?
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Stair Master.

I burn on average 450-500 calories in a 40 minutes session. I set it anywhere between level 7 and 10 and I try to do most of it without holding on! Wicked!

I love that machine! :flowerforyou:

stairmaster.jpg
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Cardio wave (like stairmaster), I have it on the highest resistance and it burns 460cals in 20 mins! I do 30 mins without holding on
  • macollins79
    Options
    and Zumba would be?

its a class, I know they offer it at Good Life in Canada not sure where else .
  • sbar87
    sbar87 Posts: 2
    Options
    Spinning is like the greatest thing EVER! I'm totally in love with it. I usually hit the 545a class and bust a sweat before work...

I just started like a month ago! its amazing!! accidentaly went to an advanced class my first time though, couldn't walk for two days after.... :(
  • shababy
    shababy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    and Zumba would be?

Zumba is a class (usually an hour) that features Latin inspired dancing. It's great! Although my fav cardio is the elliptical and the treadmill but on a high incline. Good luck!
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options

I just started like a month ago! its amazing!! accidentaly went to an advanced class my first time though, couldn't walk for two days after.... :(

hahahah :laugh: it'll do that to ya! i know
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If your gym has a pool or if your community has a pool. Swimming is awesome exercise. It's a full body workout, too which is good. I actually just read an article about the top 10 cardio workouts and I don't remember all of them and it's at home but I know running, biking, elliptical, and swimming were all high up there.
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options

loooooove spinning! :love:
  • HilB
    HilB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I loooove the elliptical. For an even better and more intense workout on the elliptical, up the resistance! I start sweating buckets the more the resistance I put on.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    We all have our favorites, but the best one is the machine that gets the heartrate up and keeps it up. For example, an average of 150 BPM on my HRM gives me around a 700 cal per hour burn. To me it does not matter which machine I use, as long as I get the heartrate in that range and keep it there.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I would recommend taking a Zumba class. It burns 500-700 calories an hour. Even if you only do it once a week, and use the treadmill the other 2 or 3 days, you can still tell a big difference. :smile:

I'm a zumba instructor, I have never in my time burned that many calories doing a zumba class, even with 3 pound hand weights, my hrm maxs me out at 402 for an hour.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Stair Master.

I burn on average 450-500 calories in a 40 minutes session. I set it anywhere between level 7 and 10 and I try to do most of it without holding on! Wicked!

stairmaster.jpg

Me too!!! My max was level 12 for 30 minutes. Wicked indeed! :sick:

I LOOOOOVE Body Step. It's an intense step aerobics class. It incorporates plyometrics too, which I also love. :love:
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Stair Master.

stairmaster.jpg

Me too!!! My max was level 12 for 30 minutes. Wicked indeed! :sick:

I LOOOOOVE Body Step. It's an intense step aerobics class. It incorporates plyometrics too, which I also love. :love:

You both so Rock. :drinker:
    I'm finally up to level 7 for 30 min. It definitely kills me. :bigsmile:
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options

I'm a zumba instructor, I have never in my time burned that many calories doing a zumba class, even with 3 pound hand weights, my hrm maxs me out at 402 for an hour.

When I used to do Zumba I always burned around 300 cals in the 45 to 60 min of the class.