New here - AGAIN! I lack motivation.

Options
Hello again,
6 months ago I started my journey on myfitnesspal. It has been interesting. I managed to lose 4 lbs and gained it back, lost 1 and gained it back, lost 2 and gained it back, lost 3 and gained it back.....I think you get the picture! I've put a lot of thought into why this is happening. I came up with a couple of ideas. 1) I am not really that motivated to lose the weight. 2) After I lose a pound or two I tend to relax and over eat just a little too much. 3) I am overestimating calories burned. 4) I hurt my knee exercising and slacked off for 2 months. 5) I am not really motivated to lose this weight!! I know I said that already but it is a big one.

Let me dive into #1 and #5 a little....I had 10 lbs to lose orginally when I started in April. Well, now I have 11.8 lbs to lose. Anyway, I really don't look overweight and in my opinon I don't look too bad. I'm not sure I want to stay at this weight. I would like to be what I weighed when I was 40 years old (155). Now I am 166.2. I am 45 years old and 5'8" tall. I wear size 8 or 10 in pants. I don't feel like I need to be a size 4 or anything, I just want to weigh the same that I did at 40. I think I am being reasonable with this goal weight. When I was 23 I weighed 145 lbs. After 5 babies, getting older and less active, changing metabolism, etc. I think 155 lbs is a good goal and realistic.

What do you do to stay motivated, especially if you have 10lbs or less to lose?
I've been looking into buying a Polar watch - Do you have one and do you like it?

Thanks for listening!!
Sara

Replies

• meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You just need to stick with it! Log in everyday and track all you calories...both consumed and burned. Do not over estimate...if anything under estimate. Since you don't have much you want to lose maybe set your goal up for 1/2 pound per week...you get more calories to eat that way. Maybe make your workouts fun....running with your kids or something.
  • scruffymongrel
    scruffymongrel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi There- this is the first time ive ever felt compelled to write a reply!

I think it’s actually hard(er?) to lose weight when you have only a small amount to lose:

1. A REASON
    You probably look (and possibly feel) “ok” and don’t have the same drivers to keep you on track. You might be in your healthy range (as I am, just!) and so your health is not a huge motivation. But it doesn’t mean that it’s not important for you…and you have to FIND some purpose behind your weight loss, something so important that is motivating enough to overcome the Friday night takeout!!!

2. COMPLACENCY
    I actually work in medical research and speak to lots of overweight patients. I always come away feeling thankful that I am not battling weight of the same magnitude because it seems so tough… BUT this attitude just makes me complacent and continue with bad habits! Try to find others who have a similar weight to lose. For one, it will combat complacency and secondly, you will not be disheartened by other people’s big weekly losses that are unachievable for someone smaller. My Dad has a >40 BMI and he can lose 5lbs+ a week (if he wants!) whilst -0.5lb would be an achievement for me – hearing of his big losses disheartens me.

3. SUPPORT
    Leading on from the above, I can imagine that your friends/family/colleagues don’t understand why you really MUST NOT share that bottle of wine and will try to tempt you into it. When you look “normal” people often can’t understand why you want to lose weight…you need to really focus on communicating your reason to them and to make them understand that, although it’s “only” 11lbs, it makes you unhappy so you need their support. I know people who say “ah well its only one time, you can lose weight next week”. Weeks tick on and lbs tick on…you must make people realise that the sooner you get it under control the sooner you can share that bottle of wine (after going for a run ;-) )

Good luck- you can do it, you just have to find a reason that is compelling enough!!

SM x
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!! I'm excited that I lost 2 lbs this week. Last week was just a 1/2 lb. I think I have figured out some things about my motivation issue.
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    For me, my motivation is avoiding going back to being diabetic... but honestly, I really crave how i feel after i exercise...im hooked. With that being said, there are days where i was just so busy i could not get it in, and seeing the posts from my friends, on their workouts...well peer pressure is a powerful thing.

The heart rate watch is a tool, im not sure how it would motivate you, it shows your heartrate. If you are looking for more of a techno fix maybe something like a fit bit? (http://www.fitbit.com/) or a bodybugg? (http://www.bodybugg.com/) these would give you a better idea of where you sit with calorie burning for the day.
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Even though you feel like you are overweight...be sure to appreciate the weight you are now. I remember when I was so much lighter and thought I was fat! Be sure to appreciate that you do not have more weight to lose and take care to manage it so you do not gain more.
  • 5kidsforme
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful advice SM!! Also, thanks for writing. You are wise! :) I think I have found my compelling reason. It has helped me stick to the plan this week. It was my husbands idea. He thought I should try to work toward something that I've always wanted but just would never buy for myself or something I wouldn't ask for a gift from him. I've also set some smaller goals. For example, for this week my goal was to stay the same or lose weight (1lb). If I met that goal I rewarded myself with something small. I love to read so my reward was a new book on my kindle. That really helped me get through the weekend! I really wanted to read that book! :) I'm happily reading it today and I weigh a little less! yipee

Thanks again!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have a stock answer to this question:

very-fat-woman-eating.jpg
  • 5kidsforme
    Options
    Thanks again. I do appreciate the fact that I don't have very much to lose. :) I've learned some lessons about not letting my weight creep up on me and I really hope that I can change my old patterns. I want to change, but I am lacking motivation to do the hard work. I'm thankful that now there is something like myfitnesspal available. I can remember writing all my calories down and journaling, etc. in the past. This is a great site! It has made things easier. I'm also coming up with ways to motivate myself!!
  • scruffymongrel
    scruffymongrel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well done you! 2lb is a massive amount for someone with 11lbs to lose! You've lost 3lb overall...go any pick up something weighing that (i.e. a 1.5ltr bottle of cola ) - you'll be amazed!
  • 5kidsforme
    Options
    I have found my motivation and it seems to be working!!!! Setting short term goals has really helped. When I reached 5 lbs I bought some perfume that I really wanted!

Thanks everyone and MFP!!!!!