So Frustrated

Options
I was doing fantastic my first 2 weeks, I lost 7 pounds. Then somehow I gained back 3 pounds over the weekend. The worst part is, I actually stuck to my calories and worked out all weekend. I'm very frustrated and confused. It's hard to want to continue when you have that kind of set back without even cheating. Has anyone else had this problem??:sad:

Replies

• blondeambition
    Options
    I was doing fantastic my first 2 weeks, I lost 7 pounds. Then somehow I gained back 3 pounds over the weekend. The worst part is, I actually stuck to my calories and worked out all weekend. I'm very frustrated and confused. It's hard to want to continue when you have that kind of set back without even cheating. Has anyone else had this problem??:sad:
  • Topxgun
    Topxgun Posts: 38
    Options
    Water weight can cause your weight to flux up to five pounds in just one day. Be sure you're weighing yourself right after you get out of bed, before you eat or drink (but after you go potty). It's the most accurate reading you'll get. :flowerforyou:
  • sillysallyf
    sillysallyf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    :smile: great tip Topxgun.... :happy:
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I doubt you gained 3 pounds over the weekend....to gain that amount you would have had to consume over 10,000 calories (1 pound = 3500 calories) Like the previous poster said...it is probably just water weight.

Try to only weigh yourself once a week and dont' forget to take your measurements :flowerforyou:
  • brasil66
    brasil66 Posts: 3
    Options
    LOTS of other people have this problem. Are you getting a good amount of protein? Doing strength training to build muscle? If so, that may account for some of the weight gain. make sure you are eating enough, as well! If not, your body will store fat, thinking it is being starved.Don't look at this as an obstacle - It's just an opportunity to put more work in to reach your goals! good luck.
  • CelaJo
    CelaJo Posts: 2
    Options
    Watch your salt intake. If you eat too much salt, even while adhering to your calorie range, you will retain water. It is probably not real weight that you put on. (You would have had to eat 9000 extra calories!)
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Here is the deal.....99.5% of people on here have had some sort of set back. I have been holding out at a 30 pound weight loss for the last 5 months. That is why I am on here! I am a health and pe teacher and have learned alot about this in some of my classes in college.

Your body isn't use to this new "lifestyle" change so it takes some time to adjust. If you haven't worked out much before this change in habits, your body isn't used to it. Muscles are being used that haven't been used in the past. So, they become inflammed and "excited" and I am sure you have heard this before--- "Muscle weighs more than fat"......

another thing...those first 2 weeks deals alot with losing water weight. You should be drinking more water, and going to the bathroom a whole lot more too!

Great job on not cheating but, you can't always rely on FAST results and use the scale as a "judge". Judge by the way that you FEEL about your body. Another thing...maybe dont' "weigh in" so often...it can be misleading!!!!

KEEP AT IT!! :bigsmile:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over this. You need to look at the big picture over a longer period of time. Look for the scale to trend down, don't worry about the short-term spikes on the scale. As long as the scale keeps pointing in the right direction, it's all good!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Watch your salt intake. If you eat too much salt, even while adhering to your calorie range, you will retain water. It is probably not real weight that you put on. (You would have had to eat 9000 extra calories!)

Think hard about the time before you weighed heavy, or check your food diary. I'll bet you had something salty the night before. Your body processes salt through by dissolving it in water. If you eat a lot of salt, you'll retain water to handle it. Water is way heavy, a gallon is over 8 pounds. 1 pint - 2 cups is more than a pound.

I love taco bell's chicken burrito supreme, and it's nice and light and good and filling and I can afford the calories for supper, but I'm always a pound heavy the next morning because it's kinda salty.

Don't sweat it, you're fine, it's probably just water. As others have said, you'd have to overeat 10,000 calories to really "gain" 3 pounds...
  • stahlight
    stahlight Posts: 119
    Options
    To borrow a quote from a previous president: "Stay the course"

I went on a bender (of sorts :laugh: ) around St. Patty's day, and drank over a gallon of beer, wine and spirits over a 4 day period. In the end, it cleared out and I am doing fine again. It happens, just do the exercise and eat right again.

Also if you do a good hard workout, your body will burn off any heavy food you still have in your tummy and soon enough the weight will be gone.
  • blondeambition
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. It was hard seeing the scale go back up that much. I have been weighing in every day, so I might cut back to 3 times a week for sanity's sake.
    I had gotten down to my lowest weight (137) about 18 months ago. At that time, the weight came off very easily. Now it seems like even though I am working out 6 days/week and sticking to around 1300 cals, I'm not seeing the same results. I will stay the course though, I have a family wedding coming up and a little black dress waiting in my closet!!!