Running In the Cold

Options
I need some advice. I have a 10 mile race coming up Nov 12th and lately now that it's been getting colder outside I noticed I am a lot more exhausted when I am running. I live in Wisconsin and my race is going to be in Chicago right off of Navy Pier, so it's probably going to be windy, chilly and possibly snowy. Do you use more energy when running in the cold? About 2 weeks ago when I went on an 8 mile run, it was about 65 degrees outside and I had no problem. Today, it was 25 degrees outside and I had to really push myself to run 2 miles and it felt so weird breathing. I wear cold gear running tights and a cold gear long long sleeved shirt and a cold gear jacket, I am not sure what else I can do to stay warm. Hopefully I don't psyche myself out!! Does anyone else find it this difficult running in the cold?

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i think there's less oxygen in the air or the body has more problem taking in oxygen or something i'm not sure. So you're probably are going to have to train harder and get your body used to the cold.
  • firstcampgirl
    Options
    Jeff Galloway has a clothing guide which tells you what to wear for the temp and conditions.

But, I dont think that is your question. My answer is that you will adjust to running in cold weather. I would suggest running outside as much as you can until race day so that you can try out clothing options.

A cup of coffee before your run is helpful. Good luck on your race!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    bump. Interested to see responses
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    A balaclava might help. I've used mine the few times it gets super cold here.

This is the one I have: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-SDLBA.html
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    it always takes me a good few weeks to get acclimated to cold weather after running during the warmer months. I think if you just get out there and keep doing it your body/lungs will adjust!
    Good luck!
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    bump, im running in the cold to c25k
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It could be the weather or it could be just one of those days where you didn't have a good run. I have those. Some days are great, others, I am not feeling it.

I would continue to run outside to see if that is the case. Your body will acclimate.
  • sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Options
    Do you happen to have asthma? If you have breathing related problems, the cold air will hinder your running. Try wearing a scarf over your mouth and nose tomorrow. Sounds counter productive but thats what they recommend for people with asthma but the heat from your breath will warm the scarf and in effect the air coming into your system and hopefully make it easier for you.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I just love to run in the cold personally (in fact, can't really stand hot weather when it's about running).

The first week is going to hurt your throat and lungs, but then you get used to it. Also, perhaps, wear some thermal underwear layers if you are really bothered about the temperature? Current technology produces some really good ones, thin ones too.
    My body normally produces a lot of heat when I run, so I don't normally need these myself.

Yes your body consumes more energy in the cold, so you might want to have a bigger meal before/snacks/energy drinks.
  • kandy221
    Options
    I have to use an inhaler to run in the cold, but do not use one any other times. Good luck!
  • lupemele
    Options
    Hi! Yes I do! It's funny but I'm in Texas and it's soooo hot all the time and HUMID! I'm not use to running in the cold so when we have cold fronts I struggle. We had a cold front come in last night; it was SUPER WINDY and it felt like I was running up hill just to get me to finish. Yesterday was my light day and I only ran 4miles and I told my hubby it felt like I ran 10! I was so exhausted..I think the cold weather

Found this:

Physiological effects of cold

Cold conditions can slow your heartbeat, especially when your neck and face are exposed. This can impact workouts where you are targeting a very high heart rate, keeping you from reaching your true peak speed. Exercise in the cold is also associated with an increased cost of movement and lower work outputs per liter of oxygen used when compared with temperate conditions (i.e. running slower at full blast), according to R.J. Shephard at the School of Physical & Health Education from the University of Toronto, Ontario. This means that although winter may be the perfect time to shed a few extra pounds (if you can keep your hands off the Christmas cookies), it's not the perfect time to set a new 10K PR.
    (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-19794-Boston-Triathlon-Examiner~y2009m10d31-Cold-weather-running-facts-and-considerations)
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    OOooo, balaclava is fun to say! I might have to invest in one to keep my ears warm! I think I am just going to have to train outside as often as possible. The worst part is, I get sweaty from running and I come back inside and I feel like a cold popsicle melting, LOL. Oh, Wisconsin weather.

lupemele, thanks for the information, that makes sense! :happy:
  • christina_theresa
    Options
    I just love to run in the cold personally (in fact, can't really stand hot weather when it's about running).

The first week is going to hurt your throat and lungs, but then you get used to it. Also, perhaps, wear some thermal underwear layers if you are really bothered about the temperature? Current technology produces some really good ones, thin ones too.
    My body normally produces a lot of heat when I run, so I don't normally need these myself.

Yes your body consumes more energy in the cold, so you might want to have a bigger meal before/snacks/energy drinks.

I hope in a few weeks I'll enjoy running in the cold too! I hate getting really sticky from hot weather! Thanks :smile:
  • christina_theresa
    Options
    Do you happen to have asthma? If you have breathing related problems, the cold air will hinder your running. Try wearing a scarf over your mouth and nose tomorrow. Sounds counter productive but thats what they recommend for people with asthma but the heat from your breath will warm the scarf and in effect the air coming into your system and hopefully make it easier for you.

No history of asthma, just becoming less of a fan of colder weather and likes to complain about it, LOL. Tomorrow I am going to try running with a scarf. Thanks :smile:
  • LongRunner77
    LongRunner77 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with some others, you should eventually adjust to the colder weather, the more you run outside the more you're body will get used to it. I've been running for years and it always takes my body at least a week or two to adjust. At first it's harder to breath and it actually burns when I breath through my nose, but you should gradually adjust...

Scott
  • sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Options

No history of asthma, just becoming less of a fan of colder weather and likes to complain about it, LOL. Tomorrow I am going to try running with a scarf. Thanks :smile:

I hope it helps!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    it always takes me a good few weeks to get acclimated to cold weather after running during the warmer months. I think if you just get out there and keep doing it your body/lungs will adjust!
    Good luck!

This! I have found that arm sleeves are great because you can remove them. When running in cold you actually warm up and end up over dressed. Gloves are important to me because my fingers just get SO cold, and they can be removed. Don't overdress! I've actually read that you run faster and more efficiently in the cold weather. You have enough time by your race to get used to it, just get out there and go. I ran my first "cold" run the other night, it was about 25 and in the dark, extremely enjoyable trail run.
  • wackynunu
    wackynunu Posts: 103
    Options
    Good luck!

This! I have found that arm sleeves are great because you can remove them. When running in cold you actually warm up and end up over dressed. Gloves are important to me because my fingers just get SO cold, and they can be removed. Don't overdress! I've actually read that you run faster and more efficiently in the cold weather. You have enough time by your race to get used to it, just get out there and go. I ran my first "cold" run the other night, it was about 25 and in the dark, extremely enjoyable trail run.

Arm sleeves? What?!? Super idea. MFP people and your awesome ideas: Where have you been all my life? :) I will get green ones since I love that song.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    It takes time to adjust to the cold. I froze my butt off this morning, I am a HUGE cold wimp. I am so ready to move to Hawaii.

I ran a 10k last Thanksgiving and it was 13 degrees at the start. Way too cold for me.

I wear way more than other people because once I get cold, it is impossible for me to warm up. It was 30ish degrees this morning and I wore Nike winter running pants, wicking tee, long sleeve tee, fleece gloves, ear warmer, and I was seriously ready to cry I was so freaking cold. I should have put on another top layer. I got home and a toe and a finger had lost circulation so I stole the shower from my husband :) I disagree with everyone else and I say overdress and then remove layers as you go.

So, I am hoping I adjust soon because this morning was miserable!
  • Jacksheadache
    Jacksheadache Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, what race and what style of race is this? I'm not too far from the Chicago area and always looking for new challenges