Broccoli Soup - 88 Calories per serving

Options
jdelisle
jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
Add body to low-fat soups by using potato and some low-fat or nonfat milk, then purée the soup in a blender. This low-fat broccoli soup makes a delicious and satisfying lunch.
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:

* 2 tsp olive oil
* 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
* 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
* 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cubed
* 4 cups fresh broccoli, including stems, chopped
* 2 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
* 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk

Preparation:
Heat oil on medium heat in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Gently sauté onion and celery for 3-4 minutes, until onion is softened. Add potato and chopped broccoli, followed by the broth and milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.

Allow soup to cool slightly, then transfer to a blender in 2-3 batches, and blend until smooth. Return soup to pot and heat gently until ready to serve.

Serves 6.

Per Serving: Calories 88, Calories from Fat 16. Total Fat 1.8g (sat 0.3g), Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 83mg, Carbohydrate 13g, Fiber 3.1g, Protein 4.9g

Replies

• jdelisle
    Options
    Add body to low-fat soups by using potato and some low-fat or nonfat milk, then purée the soup in a blender. This low-fat broccoli soup makes a delicious and satisfying lunch.
    Ingredients:

* 2 tsp olive oil
    * 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk

Preparation:
    Heat oil on medium heat in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Gently sauté onion and celery for 3-4 minutes, until onion is softened. Add potato and chopped broccoli, followed by the broth and milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.

Allow soup to cool slightly, then transfer to a blender in 2-3 batches, and blend until smooth. Return soup to pot and heat gently until ready to serve.

Serves 6.

Per Serving: Calories 88, Calories from Fat 16. Total Fat 1.8g (sat 0.3g), Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 83mg, Carbohydrate 13g, Fiber 3.1g, Protein 4.9g
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    Yummy! Thank you!:happy:
  • Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ingredients:

* 2 tsp olive oil
    * 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk

Preparation:

Serves 6.

what is the serving size? it sounds yummy...love broccoli...making for dinner! thanx!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!

I'd probably bypass the saute step with the oil and just let the veggies cook during the simmer time which would cut the calories even more!

:smile:
  • jdelisle
    Options
    what is the serving size? it sounds yummy...love broccoli...making for dinner! thanx!

I'm not really sure what the serving size is, I will be making it for the first time this evening. I had a bunch of broccoli in my fridge that needs to be used up so I googled, hehe. Will post tonight after I try it out :D:happy:
  • jdelisle
    Options
    Sounds yummy!

I'd probably bypass the saute step with the oil and just let the veggies cook during the simmer time which would cut the calories even more!

:smile:

You know, I really do notice a huge taste difference if you don't saute the veggies first in soups. I didn't think it would be as obvious, but it really is. All a matter of personal preference. :happy:
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious :0) Thanks for posting!
  • jdelisle
    Options
    So I made this last night and it made 6 cups. I got 4 servings out of that for 184 calories per serving. I felt like it was lacking something so I tried it with 1 serving (30 grams) of skim mozza shredded ontop... YUM! Its now 284 calories, but that sounds better for a meal anyway :) Very satisfying for dinner! My husband really enjoyed it too :)
  • jblow
    jblow Posts: 7
    Options
    looks great.
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I made this last night, and it is AMAZING!! YUMMY. Thanks for the recipe:bigsmile: