Anyone do P90X at the gym instead of home?

Options
I have only done a few of the discs in the P90X series. I've got the gear for at home, but think it may go smoother for me at the gym.

Does anyone take the P90X workouts to the gym?
Are there limits with this idea since you don't have the video to follow? So far the 2 vids I followed are doable at the gym, but haven't seen the rest of the series.

I already printed out the workout sheets, so I know those would make the perfect guide, but I just wanted to hear from others that actually have done it.
Thanks!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have done this before and PREFER to just print the workout sheets and take them to the gym. There's a ton more equipment available there than at my house, such as an assisted pull-up machine. In the video, Tony recommends putting your feet on a chair, but I find myself using my legs too much doing that. With the machine, that issue goes away and I am better able to train my lats. Also, there are some exercises that I prefer to use a barbell or kettlebells instead of dumbbells, but at home I don't have those available.
  • Strawberrygir19
    Strawberrygir19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have never done it at the gym. I have done it at home. However, I know there is a fitness guide that you write down how much weight/ reps/ etc you can do. Do you have that? You could bring that to the gym with you. Or a portable DVD player. I have seen that too.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I alternate on my P90X DVD's.

I am actually doing all of my weight training at the gym and my cardio/yoga DVD's at home.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this too. I"m just looking into doing P90X and it mentioned that you need a pullup bar. Don't have one and wondered about doing it at the gym where i have more equipment available. If there is a printed guide it seems like it should be doable if you've watched the video and made notes.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea... I have never thought about doing it that way, but wow ... great idea!
    I might have to try this in the future ...
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My concern with doing it this way (especially for first rounders) is that even with worksheets and/or notes, you do not have the benefit of having Tony Horton explain proper form...unless you brought a portable DVD player...I would feel like a dork doing that, but the attractiveness of having an abundance of gear would be very tempting for someone who is knowledgeable of the moves.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    My concern with doing it this way (especially for first rounders) is that even with worksheets and/or notes, you do not have the benefit of having Tony Horton explain proper form...unless you brought a portable DVD player...I would feel like a dork doing that, but the attractiveness of having an abundance of gear would be very tempting for someone who is knowledgeable of the moves.

Good point! Not an issue in my case, but definitely important for first-time lifters! Thanks.
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have done this, (the garage gets cold in the winter here) folks look at me weird but I am bringing it. What worked for me was ripping the dvds to mp4 format and putting it on my ipod. This will only work if you know the exercises, but does address the issue of making sure you are working through the whole set and not cheating yourself...and you have tony in your ear ;)
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    ...and you have tony in your ear ;)

LOL.... That's one of the main reasons I DON'T like the DVDs. :laugh:
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I just burned the discs onto my computer, converted them into mp3s and now I just listen along on my ipod as I work out in the gym. Just following the sheets is good, but listening to the soundtrack means you don't slack off on the pace, which to me is the main point of the P90X workouts. After all, let's face it there's nothing magical about supersetting chin-ups or presses....
  • MobileRanger
    Options
    In the gym where I workout, they have an area complete with a set of free weights, tv, and a dvd player where you can do workout videos. Me and two other guys do P90X there every morning before work. When its pull up time we just run over to the pull up bars, do them, and then come back. It works out great for us. Plus it allows us to work out together so we can push each other harder.
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • JaredBergeron
    Options
    In the gym where I workout, they have an area complete with a set of free weights, tv, and a dvd player where you can do workout videos. Me and two other guys do P90X there every morning before work. When its pull up time we just run over to the pull up bars, do them, and then come back. It works out great for us. Plus it allows us to work out together so we can push each other harder.

Thats awesome... !
  • JaredBergeron
    Options
    Anyone else?

Ripping them to a tablet may be a good option too...portable and big enough to see.

Also, check and see if there is a fit club in your area...May be a group doing p90x you could jump into!
    just goto: http://www.teambeachbody.com/ and they have a search deal there on the right.
  • Tjantik
    Tjantik Posts: 16
    Options
    I'd like to try this, the dvd's are on their way. My concern/question is can I do them without damaging my knees? I have weak knees, does it have a lot of knee bends, twists and such? I'm forbidden from step areobics, cycling, running, etc. I'm looking forward to getting the disks -and ripping them to mp4's as suggested- as what I'm doing now is obviously not working well.
  • rowerc2
    rowerc2 Posts: 158
    Options
    When on business or on a vacation, I will do P90X in the gym. My only feedback is that while I would go through the programs, you realize how slow everyone works out, ie: somone does a set of bicep curls, takes 5 minutes to recover, flexes their miuscles in front of mirror for 2 minutes, talks to friend for another 5 minutes - then finally they do their next set - just as you need those particular dumbells - very annoying!
  • cindywhitney
    cindywhitney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have done them at the gym, and I agree...the assisted pull-up machine is VERY helpful. I didn't do it until I had done the videos quite a few times, and every so often I would do them at home again to remind myself of some of the techniques, pace, etc. I do seem to get the workout done a little faster at the gym. I just have them written down, and I think I don't rest quite as long, and am not up to the amount of reps yet on a few things. It is nice to be at the gym and get a break from the Tony-isms once and a while ;)
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot and even when I'm home I don't like doing Insanity (another Beachbody workout) in my house since I sweat so much so I have always done these in some gym or another. I'm usually close to an LA Fitness so I find a mat and just set up my computer with my portable bluetooth speaker and go at it. Most people at the gym know what Insanity & P90X are so I really don't get a lot of strange looks.