I don't like to run...

Options
I have discovered that I need to do more cardio, but I don't want to run. I started the C25K and have discovered pretty quickly running is just not for me... And if I am going to stick with it, then I have to do something that I enjoy. I have been going to a boot camp at my local gym and we incorporate cardio, but I feel like that it is not enough.

What do you do for a good cardio workout? Suggestions please!

Replies

• eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    CYCLING!!!

And Swimming.

Both amazingly good for you, and so much more pleasurable (in my humble opinion).

I hate running too, it's horrible and definitely not for me.

I walk fast, on a high incline on the treadmill, that's just as effective for a cardio workout - just walk in beat to some good music.

Good luck!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    boot camp is a great cardio workout. perhaps add a second boot camp each week.

another great cardio workout is HIIT. I have some examples of HIIT in my workout blog below.
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love spinning and find that I burn about 500cals in 45min (using a HRM).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that I need to do more cardio, but I don't want to run. I started the C25K and have discovered pretty quickly running is just not for me... And if I am going to stick with it, then I have to do something that I enjoy. I have been going to a boot camp at my local gym and we incorporate cardio, but I feel like that it is not enough.

You could try cycling. Most females I know like gym classes like Zumba, kickboxing, step, etc.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I run, but since that's off teh table for you...

Cycling, swimming are probably my next 2 cardio activities.

What about hiking? In most cases it won't give you the same type of "intense burn" you get from running, but find a decent mountain and you'll definitely feel it.
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I HATE running, so I do spinning instead :wink:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I hate running. It isn't for me, at all. It may seem like everyone who loses weight runs, but that really isn't the case. In fact, I hate running so much that I think I would rather be overweight than run. Now THAT is hatred! I do 2 miles of brisk walking daily (4 mph) with my dog as my cardio.
  • Gwooh
    Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I power walk...I walk 5K's....get up to doing a 15 min mile....I up to about a 12-13 min (very brisk pace).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Zumba! SO much fun. (I hate running too)
  • beckystahnke
    beckystahnke Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I love the elliptical. It's easier for me because I can control the pace and slow down after I get my heart rate way up. I'm not sure how accurate the calories are on an elliptical, but it says I burn 600 in an hour, which I actually believe because my heart rate is a steady 160-170 through the whole time for 60 minutes. When I run, I get exhausted really quickly, and it's a huge strain on my knees. You might try the elliptical for 30 minutes a day and then do 30 minutes of walking/running. :)
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    try a class....i love working out in a group, it keeps you going and you meet new friends!

Also. i have never been able to run outside but i can run on the treadmill, maybe this would be worth trying if you are keen on running.

But you should try some classes! zumba?
  • kenzisurber44
    Options
    I hate to run too! I do zumba workouts followed by a kickboxing workout! It's great movement for your entire body! And believe me you'll feel the burn!
  • Steem707
    Steem707 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hit the jump rope or do boxing drills. That'll get it done.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    weird double post???
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    strange double post?? i didnt do this sry
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    Honestly the easiest cardio to do imo is to sit down and peddle on a recumbant bike. No joint impact and sit watch tv and peddle peddle with some resistance lol.
  • domi09
    domi09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    2nd the jumprope. Helps with coordination, agility, works the shoulders..... burns tons of calories.

People at the gym still give me these odd looks though. (middle aged dude jumping rope)