Reebox Realflex???

Options
Anybody running in the new Reebok Realflex shoes? Supposed to be a shoe that mimics natural movement, somewhat of a minimalist shoe but nothing as serious as Vibram Five Fingers. Wondering if anyone has them and how they are holding up so far?? I realize they are fairly new.

I tried a pair on today while out picking up some new shorts, I liked the feel and the lightweight. I also tried on other similar shoes: Nike Free 2 ( I would have liked to try the 3's but they didn't have them), NewBalance Minimus Road, and Saucony ProGrid Kinvara 2. Out of all of these I liked the feel and fit of the Reebok the best. This was surprising because I am not typically a Reebok fan and I do not like those Reebok Zig shoes, but the RealFlex are completely different than the zigs...the zigs have a hard non-flexible sole compared to the Realflex. I haven't owned Reebok of any kind in 15 years.

I didn't really care for the Saucony ProGrid Kinvara 2's for what I am looking for. . Too much like a regular running shoe in the heel, not as flexible. I would rate it a great shoe, just not what I am looking for. The Nike's I am not a big fan of the Free 2's, but would like to try on the 3's still. New Balances were alright, didn't like the look as well, but that isn't important. So in order of likeness today....

1) Reebok Realflex
2) NB Minimus
3) Saucony Kinvara 2
4) Nike Free 2

Anybody have any running experience with the Realflex?, I am researching them more.....

Replies

• kimmerc1331
    kimmerc1331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to have this topic opened for discussion again...Im considering getting these running shoes and would love to know if anyone has tried them?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I have a pair. I really like them, but only have 1 season on them so I'm hesitant to talk about long term durability.

The tread/lugs seem to be holding up well to roots and rocks - no tears or chunking.
    They dry fast.
    They are light and about as minimalist as you can get while still having a good tread.
    They move well with my feet and grip anything - very few slips, even on wet roots.
    They do seem to push my foot slightly to the outside (induce a slight pronation?), but there are a 100 factors that could contribute to that.

Any specific questions? Let me know.
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!!

Here's the thing about Reebok you should know... they were bought by Adidas a few years back, several years after the reebok product line sorta fell apart... they took a lot of time and effort, did a TON of research, and a LOT of trials with their new zig and flex packages...

the zig is definately more bulky, but for BIG guys or heavy lifters, they have great support, durable cushion, and great energy absorption throw the engineering of those soles

the flex is the closest to natural movement as you can get without going to the vibram in my opinion. compared to the free run 2 which is still 1 sole perforated at the flex points with a stiff spot in the middle of your arch for an ipod sensor, the realflex has 76 individual soles on the footbed to give you adequate plantantion, support, and cushioning so no matter what angle your foot lands, you catch traction (your legs will build extra strength in those key little muscles we dont get to use in traditional running shoes to build natural muscular support). This is a GREAT shoe if you're doing mixed training alongside the running (plyos, etc.) the shoe was an official Crossfit shoe.

I have personal experience in both and have seen their durability in the long term and I really like what I've seen heard and personally experienced.