Question for those that have lost a lot of weight so far.

Options
I've heard that losing a lot of weight will result in saggy extra skin. Does anyone know if this is true? Sorry if this is already on the forum somewhere. I've looked and couldn't find anything on it.

Replies

• kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    id say generally if you 80+ pounds to lose you might have some sagginess but depending on your age your skin can still bounce back pretty easily and you can help it along with some strength training
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I've lost a total of 60 (20 before MFP) slowly and haven't had any saggy skin issues. :smile:
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you lose, how quickly you lose it and age. I am down 64lbs and do not have extra skin, but I've done it slowly, I'm still young and I've been toning...
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am fearful of this as well I have quite the gut and I don't want all that skin hanging. Thanks for asking If it does hang and eventually shrink about how long? Is there a way to speed the skin shrinking?
  • Simona38
    Simona38 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on how much you have to lose and how long you've been overweight.

I have to lose 100lbs still - I've lost 60 so far. Once I reach goal, I'm expecting some sagging skin - definitely my arms, thighs and stomach. I'm 39 and I've been obese for a very long time so I dont expect my skin to bounce back.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I've lost 83.4 so far (since january 1, 2011) - and have about another 40-50 to go - My skin is getting a bit loose but I'm trying to counteract that with strength training.:)
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My brother-in-law lost a ton of weight about 5 years ago (like 80 pounds). He said it took him alot of excercise and about 3 years to fulling regain tight skin.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on way to many factors. How long you've been overweight. How much someone is overweight. How old they are, how hydrated they stay, how quickly they lose the weight etc.
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    im pretty sure it has been on the forum before, but that's ok.

I have lost a lot and yes, the skin is a problem. I think i might have surgery one day to try to fix it, but i plan on having babies in the next few years, so there's no point in fixing it now.

How much are you planning on losing? I think this will only be a problem for people who have a lot to lose, i.e over 80 lbs.And I don't think it effects everyone. Moisturizing and exfoliating certainly help. and working out, cause the muscle helps to fill it out.

It gets me done sometimes. but....its important to think that its better to have a bit of extra skin than to be carrying all the fat that used to be in there : )

hope that's helpful? : D
  • mjac1998
    Options
    I have lost 45 so far, and have not experienced a lot of baggy skin. I do work out at least 3x a week, which I think helps A LOT! I have about 15 to go:)
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think it totally depends, everyone is different. Depending on your age, how quickly you lose weight, whether or not you are working out, whether or not you have had children, and genetic factors are all variables that will determine whether or not you have saggy skin. I don't have saggy skin per-say, but I had a baby near my highest weight so I have the over-the-bellybutton-bulge that gets smaller but doesn't disappear, and I definitely have more toning to do. I realize that I will never have a washboard stomach and I'm at one with that.
  • lovecola06
    lovecola06 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 45 pounds since joining MFP(plus 20 before from pregnancy), and I don't have saggy skin issues anywhere but my belly. I've been focusing on toning a lot more now that I am at my goal weight. THAT is what has really helped my belly to look less saggy. I feel like I may never have a flat 6pack abs stomach, but that's okay for me... I just want the tummy to get smaller overall. Good luck & don't forget about toning when you're doing your cardio!
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    I've lost almost 80 pounds since 1st of January, I've worked out most of that time too. I have mildly loose skin, but not saggy skin.

In the program I am in currently, the leader just made a statement a couple of days ago, that where the fat is being lost from the skin needs to be filled with muscle, thus encouraging weight workouts... keep that in mind, start low and work your way up on weights - if you stay the same, you won't be building muscles and you should be sore, not being sore does not build muscles!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I just had a doctor visit yesterday. I am 54 and most of my adult life I was between 155 and 175. From about 48 - 50 years old I was at 190 - 205 pounds. Seeing 205 made me start this whole process. I lost 53 pounds that first year when I turned 50. But now I am 54 and working on the last bit of weight to take me to 135. 141.2 today. The doc told me it was the "foray into the 200 pound range" at my age that made my arms and thighs wrinkle as I lost the weight. I have been doing weight lifting with dumbbells 3 - 5 - 8 pounds usually 5 days a week and doing ab and leg work which has drastically reshaped my body to look as it never has ever! My goal is to continue to focus on weight training and body shaping and see how it goes. If it stays like it is today I'm okay. My goal was to look better in clothes and going from a size 16 to a size 6 and knocking on size 4 is quite alright with me, wrinkled arms or not! = D
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think it totally depends, everyone is different. Depending on your age, how quickly you lose weight, whether or not you are working out, whether or not you have had children, and genetic factors are all variables that will determine whether or not you have saggy skin. I don't have saggy skin per-say, but I had a baby near my highest weight so I have the over-the-bellybutton-bulge that gets smaller but doesn't disappear, and I definitely have more toning to do. I realize that I will never have a washboard stomach and I'm at one with that.

I have the same stomach issue. I was about 250 pounds for 2 of my 3 pregnancies. I can do crunches until the cows come home but my stomach looks deformed. I dont know if getting to my goal weight will change that. I hope so. But I too accept the fact that I will never have a totally flat stomach. As far as the skin, I dont think I have lost enough for that to be an issue yet but I am certain it will become an issue as the weight continues to come off.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Losing the weight too fast is a contributor ... the skin will have to catch up. No maths as to how fast is too fast, but a bit of science there as to why. Your signature if I read correctly indicates 20lb in 10 days ? Seems quite fast. Being younger and building muscle help (I read too that muscle goes down along with fat - the body needs to burn something). I've seen some 30-somethings on here having lost a bit and they look great. Some of us just cover up and are happy to still be alive.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 31lbs..and I am noticing some loose skin on my tummy...the stretch marks that were tight..are now realllly wrinkly...toning will help..but slow process.
  • bojamashell
    bojamashell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Yes, my signature is correct. I lost 20lbs in a week, but that was just to jump start things. It's not going to be a habit. I'm in my 20s, had 3 children and a tons of stretch marks. I am working out and the trainer has shown me what weight machines I can use. I have to stay away from some because I have two bulging discs that I don't want to irritate. After I get to my goal weight, I don't ever expect to be like I was before I had kids or gained all this weight. I just want to get healthy. I was just curious about the skin thing.
  • cobblers88
    Options
    I'm really worried about this. What do people mean by gradually? Is that like less than a lb a week? I'm confused by the word 'gradual'.

I'm 22, and have about 60-70lbs to lose. I've always been larger, but have only been very big for about 1 year. I have a LOT of stretch marks on my belly, it looks like I've had a baby. Do you guys think I'll have a problem?
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've lost 62 (245 down to 183) and I have about 25 to go (I'm 5'9"). As of right now I do not have saggy skin. However, I am note able to grab and pinch my skin, which I never could before and I'm sure that will get a little worse... But I take loose skin over fat any day! I can hide one under clothes!