After the loss.....then what?

Options
Hello friends,

I was curious to know what you all have planned after you lose the weight. Just maintaining or going beyond? I have two goals, well in regards to weight. Once I hit my mark I would not necessarily try to lose more (it would be great though), but I definitely want to be ripped (in a healthy kind of way, lol!). So what do you plan to do after you lose your weight (I know you all will do that)?

Jerome

Replies

• gail2207
    gail2207 Posts: 133
    Options
    For me it hasn't really stopped. I thought I only wanted to lose a stone. I lost that and was happy for a while. Then I got used to my body and felt like I needed to lose more. And it has just continued. I'm now at my UGW, lower than I have been in at least 5 years, and I still feel like I have more to lose.

If I ever get to a stage where I'm happy with my body, I think i'll just maintain and also build some muscle.

It depends what your long term aspirations are really.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing...I'm almost there myself. I think I'm going to shift my focus on running miles....not just running but setting goals to do 5k's and beating my time and running further distances. If I don't have a goal, I may get off track. I never ever EVER want to be back where I was at EVER again.
  • almawr
    almawr Posts: 77
    Options
    Im going to reach 70kg as that is my ideal weight for my height. If i feel like i could loose more i would go ahead and do so . Then i would work on areas that need more toning. Once im completely happy i will treat myself on a shopping spree to buy some new clothes and probably get my hair done :D
  • lotuslion
    Options
    I'm with you - I used to be pretty strong, and I miss that. So once I've lost the weight, I want to work on muscle conditioning and improving my running/biking times. I also want to do a full triathlon. :D
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Buy some new clothes and show off!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Cutting down, then a nice sloooow clean bulk for the rest of my days.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have an initial goal of 135 (I'm 5'5" and fairly muscular). If I'm happy there, I plan to continue to train for a marathon but to increase my calorie intake to maintain there. If I'm not happy there, I'll continue to train and to eat a deficit so that I lose until I'm happy. I most definitely plan to continue tracking every morsel I put into my mouth so I don't end up in the same boat I'm in now (Again!)
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Change my goal to maintenance, but not change my running/workout routine. I don't want to waste all of that hard work!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I will lose the weight and then work on building muscle to slim down even more. I have always promised myself that I will not weigh less than 150, I weighed 145 after having my kid and I was too skinny for my frame size.
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I just got done reading an article on CNN about this very topic. To quote one item from the article....

"Although the hormone changes noted in the study are very real physical effects, Proietto says, personality and psychological factors may play a role in an individual's ability to manage chronic hunger.

"This may explain why some people maintain weight loss for longer than others," he says. "Maintenance of weight loss requires continued vigilance and conscious effort to resist hunger.""

Here's the link to the full story: http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/26/health/post-diet-weight-regain/index.html
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hello! I asked myself the same thing last February... then after I lost the 25 lbs I wanted to lose, I was up for another challenge: becoming more healthy! Stronger, better cardio, more endurance, more energy, more toned... I have been maintaining at a 30 lbs loss for a few months now and and am striving for a six-pack! Even after five pregnancies, I have learned that anything is possible! Best of luck on your journey!! Long live mfp!! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • 5mule
    5mule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    To me it seems like losing weight and getting cut are not two separate phases. They're one and the same! You will lose weight faster and maintain more muscle if you work on strength and conditioning while you eat a healthy diet.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think I would get into yoga and work on my flexibility...I'm in my 40's now and it's time to start thinking about aging in a healthy way.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Once I get to goal, I plan on continuing to monitor my calories and keep setting fitness goals for at least two more years. I'd been obese for almost half my life so of course I'm exstatic about losing but I'm also realistic about the long term. It's going to be as much of a struggle to maintain a healthy weight as it's been to lose the weight. And of course I'm going to keep running farther and faster and keep strength training and trying whatever else comes down the pike to keep it interesting.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Everyone should remember that once we all reach our goal weight it does not stop or end there. This needs to be a life style change in order to keep the weight off. There are so many people who reach there goal weight after loosing sooo many pounds but just to gain it all back and then some! SO WHEN WE ALL REACH OUR GOAL WEIGHT it needs to continue to be a daily life style change to keep it off.

Now when i reach my goal weight im going to do lots more in my life that i havent been able to as a obese women. Such as go on roller coaster rides without worrying my fat #@$#@$ is going to fall out of it because i broke it haha...WATER PARKS! feel confident in my skin! Buy CUTE CLOTHES instead of dealing with tarps as clothing! there is so much i look forward to but number one is HEALTHY LONGER LIFE!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU

MAHALO xoxoox
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing exactly what I'm doing now. Eating right and exercising regularly (cardio with some strength training). What I'm doing now is workable with my schedule and the diet keeps me full and healthy, so this is what I'm going to continue with.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I plan on thoroughly enjoying the 1k calories that I'm denying myself per day currently :) I also plan to go into a slight surplus and upping my strength training.