Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    bearfacepalm.jpg
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid a lady gave me a toothbrush and little thing of toothpaste....we tped and egged her house that night

Ummm its only one damn day ....let them have fun
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've seen this suggested before. I told a friend of mine about it, and she said, "It's trick or TREAT...not trick or carrot." It made me laugh.

You're not these kids' parent. Their parents are expecting them to come home with candy. So if you're not going to give out candy, do like someone else suggested...turn your porch light off.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Children hate you. If you aren't going to give out good candy then turn off the porch light and don't answer the door.

LOL I told my daughter who is 17 I wanted to get something healthier than candy and she said that is lame. Maybe I will make my husband buy the coffee and have them hand it out. I want to go to Chipotle for my $2 boorito (or rather salad bowl) anyways!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    *like*.... I think the toys idea was good. My daughter loves getting really dumb things like spider rings, and mini card games (stuff you can buy at the $1 store).

I don't know about the "healthy" treats though, that's a good way to get your house egged....
    Sadly if my kids got an apple or banana I would chuck it. There have been cases of jerks injecting foods with poisons, adding razorblades ect So sad! I agree with vergo. a bag of stretchy skulls 16 count is a buck at walmart and they "crawl" down the wall when you throw them at one:OP

This is not true. There has never actually been a case of poison or razor blades in Halloween candy given to strangers.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I will read it later on, after I finish this plate with samples of 9 different desserts from our Spooky Halloween Dessert contest.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Children hate you. If you aren't going to give out good candy then turn off the porch light and don't answer the door.

Hahaha!! I'd have to say I agree with this...!! If you don't want to give out candy, just don't give it out! lol :wink:

This will be your house:

Toilet-papered-740595.jpg
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone want to ruin Halloween for the children?

Good grief. For some kids - like MINE - it's one of the 3 days a year that they get to eat crap until they are sick. (Easter and Christmas being the other two)

Back off and quit begging to get your house egged.

Yup.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    I'm confused why the majority of people seem to be mad at me for my suggestions. i never said hand out produce, that wouldn't be appreciated OR cost effective

but what makes sidewalk chalk, or bubbles NOT a treat? kids LOVE bubbles and chalk and stickers too.

no need to be offended, when you hand out only candy you're totally excluding kids with type 1 diabetes or if you give out chocolate then lactose intolerant kids don't get to enjoy the holiday either. just saying.

plus these were suggestions. not me shoving my beliefs down anyones throats. i never celebrated halloween as a kid because it's against our religion but that doesn't mean that i don't have fun with it now. i just wanted to give ideas to those who were looking.

simple as that.
  • Magic_Girl
    Options
    I like the toys idea, but I think it would be best if there was a choice between candy and toys, so that way everyone is happy
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

plus these were suggestions. not me shoving my beliefs down anyones throats. i never celebrated halloween as a kid because it's against our religion but that doesn't mean that i don't have fun with it now. i just wanted to give ideas to those who were looking.

simple as that.

i think your topic 'spread health this halloween' kinda negates what you said. its nice to give other options to kids with diabetes or lactose intolerance. i think two bowls one of candy and one with toys is a good idea....it never occured to me to think of the kids with diabetes or allergies.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I'm confused why the majority of people seem to be mad at me for my suggestions. i never said hand out produce, that wouldn't be neither appreciate NOR cost effective

but what makes sidewalk chalk, or bubbles NOT a treat? kids LOVE bubbles and chalk and stickers too.

no need to be offended, when you hand out only candy you're totally excluding kids with type 1 diabetes or if you give out chocolate then lactose intolerant kids don't get to enjoy the holiday either. just saying.

simple as that.

Well I'm offended by all these people that do not have a Celtic heritage celebrating Halloween.

Halloween has it's origins in the Celtic festival of Samhain. :tongue:
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    "[/quote] Maybe I will make my husband buy the coffee and have them hand it out. I want to go to Chipotle for my $2 boorito (or rather salad bowl) anyways!"
    [/quote]

Eh?
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

I grew up with a severe peanut allergy, so I couldn't eat probably 50% of the candy I got. But I still dressed up, and had fun, and gave what I couldn't eat to my mom and my brother. Yeah it kinda sucked, but at the same time, it's not like there was an alternative... and I still loved trick-or-treating. (Although, it was nice when houses had a choice between candy that I could and could not eat--- being forced to take either a Reese's or nothing was slightly annoying, but what can you do?? lol)

For a kid with diabetes, they either realize that they will not eat 99% of what they get (or eat it in moderation, I don't know much about diabetes), or they would not go trick-or-treating at all.

But you're not "excluding" anyone by giving out candy-- Candy is standard. Any family that has kids with allergies or diabetes knows what they're getting into IF they decide to trick or treat.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    double-facepalm.jpg
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    We live in a rural area and don't get trick or treaters so I won't comment on that, but I was just trying to decide what to bring for my daughter's Halloween Party at school this afternoon and after reading your post, I've decided to bring Grapes :) Every year at these class parties they get SO much sugar (cupcakes, juice, candy, cookies, cake, etc) and there is always so much of all that stuff that I think a lot of them will appreciate the break and enjoy some grapes. No worries, they'll still get their fill of sugary treats :)
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options

simple as that.

i think your topic 'spread health this halloween' kinda negates what you said. its nice to give other options to kids with diabetes or lactose intolerance. i think two bowls one of candy and one with toys is a good idea....it never occured to me to think of the kids with diabetes or allergies.

i actually had a suspicion that someone was going to say that. but topic lines are short and i just wanted to give a good idea of what was inside for those who'd be interested. i'm sure even those who may not like my message can agree the reason for my topic line being what it is, is qutie valid :wink:
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    double-facepalm.jpg

oh my gosh! i'm a big star trek fan and i dont know where you got this, and i'm not happy that i fell victim to the epic doubleface palm but i LOVE IT and i cant wait for an excuse to share it with someone else! lol.
  • paravision
    Options
    *like*.... I think the toys idea was good. My daughter loves getting really dumb things like spider rings, and mini card games (stuff you can buy at the $1 store).

I don't know about the "healthy" treats though, that's a good way to get your house egged....
    Sadly if my kids got an apple or banana I would chuck it. There have been cases of jerks injecting foods with poisons, adding razorblades ect So sad! I agree with vergo. a bag of stretchy skulls 16 count is a buck at walmart and they "crawl" down the wall when you throw them at one:OP

This is not true. There has never actually been a case of poison or razor blades in Halloween candy given to strangers.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp

Really, so this didnt happen?
    In 2008, candy was found with metal shavings and metal blades embedded in it. The candy was Pokémon Valentine's Day lollipops purchased from a Dollar General store in Polk County, Florida. The candy was determined to have been manufactured in China and not tampered with within the United States. The lollipops were pulled from the shelves after a mother reported a blade in her child's lollipop and after several more lollipops with metal shavings in them were confiscated from a local elementary school.[4]

In 2008, some cold medicine was discovered in cases of Smarties that were handed out to children in Ontario, Canada.[5]
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options

LOL I told my daughter who is 17 I wanted to get something healthier than candy and she said that is lame. Maybe I will make my husband buy the coffee and have them hand it out. I want to go to Chipotle for my $2 boorito (or rather salad bowl) anyways!

OMG COFFEE! LOL!
This discussion has been closed.