Homophones

Options

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Im very bad at spelling,with a pretty damn valid reason why,but sometimes I make mistakes on purpose in the hopes that somewhere I might be driving a person crazy
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Bugs me too but can you tell me the difference in layed and laid or payed and paid?
    I could look it up I guess but the threads are more fun.

Payed is not a word, to begin with ...

(neither is layed)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    my cell phone is not gay thanks
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I have no problem at all with gay people. Homophones really make me mad.

:wink:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Bugs me too but can you tell me the difference in layed and laid or payed and paid?
    I could look it up I guess but the threads are more fun.

Payed is not a word, to begin with ...

(neither is layed)

So true. Missed it. Falling asleep at my desk this afternoon. :-)

None of the above were actual sentences. I wonder who that will annoy.
  • whitney22blue
    Options
    colour - in the uk, but when you buy hair dye is says color on the box.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Come on people! To, too, two - it's not that hard to use the right one.
    to - direction, limit, or contact (turn to the the right, grew to 4 feet tall, attached to the wall)
    too - To a higher degree than is desirable, permissible, or possible; excessively (me too, too much food);
    two - a number (2).

there - a place
    their - possessive
    they're - they are

This is driving me crazy!

Rant over.

:laugh: I know how you feel. I learned all that in grade school.
  • jwaltz13
    Options
    I chalk up most of these to typos, and not re-reading before posting. I see it in my students' work all the time (I teach 7th grade math and language arts, and 7th/8th grade remedial language arts). Most people -I believe- know the difference, but just aren't taking the time to proofread. Since this is an internet forum and not published work, you're going to see a lot of this.

As a teacher, I agree! We shouldn't be so critical of others who post on this site.. when ultimately, it's only a forum! As adults we should know/understand that not everyone has the same education and writing skills.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I chalk up most of these to typos, and not re-reading before posting. I see it in my students' work all the time (I teach 7th grade math and language arts, and 7th/8th grade remedial language arts). Most people -I believe- know the difference, but just aren't taking the time to proofread. Since this is an internet forum and not published work, you're going to see a lot of this.

Hey off topic and I am sorry, but my twins are in 7th grade. I hate 7th grade math! I learned it a different way and the kids are telling me they HAVE to do it the teachers way. who cares as long as you get the same answer?!?!?

Rant over! Sorry again!
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Nobody is perfect

Leave people alone.... You do not know why they make mistakes and they may have valid reasons and your Perfect post comments may send them away from using the boards and that is not the purpose of these boards...

This is not English Class..
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Wow, this stuff really does tick you off.
    Thanks for setting me straight.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options

As a teacher, I agree! We shouldn't be so critical of others who post on this site.. when ultimately, it's only a forum! As adults we should know/understand that not everyone has the same education and writing skills.

OP was just having a rant, I don't believe it was directed at any one person in particular :smile:
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It is not about attacking anyone. I was just stating that it is something that drives me crazy.

As a teacher, this is a problem on internet forums because children who are learning about these things don't recognize that there is a difference between the internet forums and written work. For the most part, this is taught in elementary school. Too many kids are using text/internet speak when writing papers and scholarly works. It's ridiculous. I wasn't asking for perfection. Maybe you're going to drive me away :laugh:
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options

Hey off topic and I am sorry, but my twins are in 7th grade. I hate 7th grade math! I learned it a different way and the kids are telling me they HAVE to do it the teachers way. who cares as long as you get the same answer?!?!?

Rant over! Sorry again!

It's stupid, but the standardized tests will test one specific method. It doesn't matter that you get the answer right if you don't have the "right" process (at least according to the test makers)
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think that people post as if they were speaking conversationally.

I know many well educated people who speak in sentence fragments when engaged in conversation.

As for the improper word usage or in my case (imaginary words) :blushing: It seems we are all from different levels of education. For some of us it is very important to maintain proper English, spelling and punctuation. For others, it rarely impacts their daily lives.

I notice it but try not to be bothered when I really think about it. I don't have difficulty reading posts with errors, so perhaps that's just me.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Beating_A_Dead_Horse.gif

That is my new favorite emoticon...
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I certainly wasn't attacking anyone either. In my mind, I'm always correcting posts that have grammar errors but I've never brought it to any individual's attention. I'm actually more critical of myself for making those errors. I usually try to proofread my posts but I do make mistakes too and I can't stand it.. :ohwell:
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Loose and Lose. my fav.

I need to loose weight.....arggggggghhhh!!!

THIS x 10. I hate it so much. I was outside a very well known bookshop in the UK. They had a sign up that had the words, "if you loose your ticket...". I nearly went in and had a go. It REALLY irritates me.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Rant over! Sorry again!

It's stupid, but the standardized tests will test one specific method. It doesn't matter that you get the answer right if you don't have the "right" process (at least according to the test makers)

I know a teacher who, when they spelled something wrong, his answer was "The kids will correct me". Not a good start in life, especially for a primary school child.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Nobody is perfect

Leave people alone.... You do not know why they make mistakes and they may have valid reasons and your Perfect post comments may send them away from using the boards and that is not the purpose of these boards...

This is not English Class..

this may not be "english class" but if you are using a form of written communication without the added benefit of contextual tonal inflection, body language, and conversation timing... your message should be conveyed properly. accidentally adding or removing a letter can completely change the comment or post in a way that the author may or may not intend.

also, readability is a big deal when writing in a public forum. if i have to strain to read because a poster is using all caps, then i will simply ignore the post and move on to the next topic. also, if a post is badly structured, the entire message is lost and it's impossible to focus on what the author may be trying to say. i've been on this site for at least two years and i've seen many a poster get agitated and discouraged because no one could give them the answers they sought and the entire situation could have been circumvented by following proper grammatical standards.